Beta blockers that don't cause cold hands

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gustaf

I am one of those with a very loud, thumping heart after surgery (and it is not the valve). I know that some others are taking beta blockers to limit the strength of the heart beat. I have tried this, and it does have some positive effects, but I also get the normal side effects of cold hands. I have a touch of Raynaud's syndrome and also really want to be able to be outdoors during winter for all kinds of skiing.

I tried a few standard beta blockers, but they all gave me these very cold hands. I have also used Carvedilol, which is easier on the hands, but unfortunately less efficient with the heart beats.

Does anyone know of any beta blocker or other medicine that could affect the heart in the desirable manner? It is really about the thumping, since I have quite a normal BP after my aortic dilation a few weeks ago.

::gustaf

I was unaware that any of them could cause cold hands. I'll watch this thread cause now you've sparked my interest.

I was on Coreg(carvedilol) for years before my surgery in Aug.'08,then on Metoprolol after surgery and now back on Coreg. I have never had any problem with cold hands. I dont know anyone that is on it with that problem. I did have the hard thumping heart thing,but,after my dosage was raised to 25mg twice a day,it has calmed Maybe as time passes this will improve for you. I hope so.

I was on Coreg(carvedilol) for years before my surgery in Aug.'08,then on Metoprolol after surgery and now back on Coreg. I have never had any problem with cold hands. I dont know anyone that is on it with that problem. I did have the hard thumping heart thing,but,after my dosage was raised to 25mg twice a day,it has calmed Maybe as time passes this will improve for you. I hope so.

Interesting ..... I have argue with my cardio that I did not need to be on Metoprolol because I had ablation for A-Fib and have not had a problem since ... I recently cut my dose in half from 25mg to 12.5mg to wean ?myself? off of it to prove him wrong (I too have been labeled non compliant):rolleyes:.... I have noticed my heart beating the past few days.... maybe I?m it?s because I have been working more or maybe he is smarter than he looks......

As far as cold hands.... never been a problem....

Maybe it is less common than I thought, but it is listed as one of the most common side effects, and I have a few local "heart friends" here that have had similar issues.

Metoprolol (Seloken) was the worst one for me, so it is clearly individual. Maybe it is the Raynaud (white fingers) tendency that makes me extra sensitive. This is by the way now potentially seen as CTD related as well. Ice climbing and many hours on motorcycles with vibrating handles haven't helped, I guess.

::g

Gustaf - my hands are always cold, and the beta blockers have made them worse. I am taking Bisoprolol. It's the only one I've tried so far though - sorry, I'm not much help.

Melissa

Even before my OHS, I was very prone to having cold hands and cold feet. I just made sure to buy the best gloves, mittens, and boots that I could afford. I also bought some of those "hot packs" that you can put into your boots.
Now that I am post op and also have a thumping heart, I am taking Metoprolol, 50 mg per day, and of course I still have the cold extremeties.
I spend alot of money on heating oil ......

It was exactly opposite for me, my hands and feet were horribly cold prior to my AVR (both times); afterward, I found them uncomfortably warm. Beta blockers didn't effect my peripheral circulation either way, though.

Cold feet

Cold feet

Hi Gustaf, when I was on Metoprolol it made me have cold feet. After I switched to Atenolol the problem improved somewhat. The Atenolol also seems to make my heart beat slower than the Metoprolol did, which is some help with the pounding-vibration problem because fewer beats per minute means fewer bone vibrating pounds per minute.

Gustaf,

Coreg/Carvedilol worked for me only in the very beginning and then it kept lowering my BP but not my heart. [Now, you mentioning this, I was feeling cold all over me while I was on it and now back to my old nature. I stopped as of February. So, I wonder?!]

I heard Toprol is better for lowering HR and not as much lowering PB. Check it out.

Good luck.

Just an observation but most of you with cold hands live in some cold climates ? I have not had any cold anything but I live in Texas.

Also I have weaned to 12.5 toporol xl as my HR can still be at 50 sitting at work and my BP runs normal to low.

oh, goodness, how cold my feet get! it is awful every time I lie down, no matter the temperature, my feet freeze, then cramp. miserable.

strange thing happened to me lately, tho. my bp has dropped to normal so I quit the bp meds and take an atenolol (beta blocker) when I am going out in order to have my heart not get overworked. I had quad bypass and need to not stress the poor old thing too much.

I have no cures for cold hands/feet. just have to live w/it, I spose. I never found a cure. never found how to not have a cough w/bp meds, either.

blessins

Cold climate is clearly one factor, but I have it summertime as well (we do have (short) summers in Sweden...).

But it is sort of like:

Beta blockers + polar bears + some Raynaud tendency = handchill factor 5, and where the beta blockers stand for 3 of these (for me at least).

Hi Gustaf-
I'm on Metroplol (25 mg twice daily). I've always had great circulation and was always the warm one even in -20F...Post surgery my wife says my hands are always cold...Nothing esle (feet, etc) though? I'm a skier too. I'll keep watching the thread and ask my doc the next time I see him.

oh, goodness, how cold my feet get! it is awful every time I lie down, no matter the temperature, my feet freeze, then cramp. miserable.

strange thing happened to me lately, tho. my bp has dropped to normal so I quit the bp meds and take an atenolol (beta blocker) when I am going out in order to have my heart not get overworked. I had quad bypass and need to not stress the poor old thing too much.

I have no cures for cold hands/feet. just have to live w/it, I spose. I never found a cure. never found how to not have a cough w/bp meds, either.

blessins

Hi,

There might be some ways of handling it, especially temporarily. I had calcium antagonists (Norvasc) earlier with the beta blockers, and that made it better, but now it will give me too low BP. Some take Nifedipin (also a calcium antagonist), but I believe it may not always be recommendable after bypasses and especially for people with aneuyrisms. For me it is too quick in lowering the blood pressure, so I get quite dizzy.

Anyhow, I think I will give Carvedilol a new try, since that was the best option. May need to top with some salty food and alcohol to keep the BP up...

My old beta blocker (bisoprolol, I think, brand name Zebeta) made my formerly COLD hands and feet a lovely warm temperature. Since heart surgery they put me on Metoprolol and my hands can become very cold. However, overall, my hands are probably finally "normal"--neither too cold nor too warm.

Obviously beta blockers change something about peripheral circulation. I wonder if getting extra cold hands means that the beta blocker is having the right effect? Of course, I am not a doctor.

Cold climate is clearly one factor, but I have it summertime as well (we do have (short) summers in Sweden...).

But it is sort of like:

Beta blockers + polar bears + some Raynaud tendency = handchill factor 5, and where the beta blockers stand for 3 of these (for me at least).

Don't think the temperature has anything to do with it. I live in Florida, USA, and have it all year round. often our summer temps reach 104 daily. my cousin who lives near also has the same problem.

Back