beeee prepared!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pikacat

so. i live alone and have no family here, so i'm doing this alone. :< in these few weeks, i'm working up to the big day and all i'm trying to make sure i'm as prepared as possible! am i forgetting anything?

here are the things i did:
got my dog a place to stay for the week i'll be in the hospital
home delivered kitty litter
got someone to check in on the cats for the week i'll be away
took care of my student loans so i won't wreck my credit when i'm out of work.
hired a home nurse for the first week/made sure they could take me to coumadin clinic
made sure they could walk my dog when my friends couldn't (i have a dogwalker card in case, too)
bought a back pillow bc i remembered getting out of bed was hard.
got the apartment to install a handle on my shower
ordered sports bras haha

here are the things i will do:
will buy comfy clothes
home deliver some groceries/dog food/cat food
will make sure insurance is paying/will make sure the hospital knows i'm out of work.
put no slip thingies on my shower
get a spare key for my friend

i can't think of anything else right now. but i'm worried that the most important thing will hit me when i'm bedridden and i can't take care of it :I

ah, i'm so grateful for internet shopping and other people to carry things up the stairs for me right now! :D

I don't know if you have room in your freezer, but you might want to make some meals ahead you can freeze and heat in the microwave, or do what I would most likely do, stock up on frozen food from the store. Do you have friends that could help you with the laundry. and even tho you SHOULD be home in a week, does whoever will have the dog know it MIGHT be a little longer?
If you have to bend low or reach high, for pots, pans plates ect right before you leave you may want to put a couple on the counter so they will be easy to get.

yeah, he does know it might be longer. and i'm totally only going to buy frozen food -- it's kind of what i live on anyway. just boca burgers and frozen vegetables.

i was planning on doing all my laundry before the surgery. i can still do it if i break them down into really light, small loads. er... how long is it again before you can carry more than a few pounds?

that's a good idea about the plates and stuff. i think i'll leave them out before i go in a more reachable area.

Last edited:
yeah, he does know it might be longer. and i'm totally only going to buy frozen food -- it's kind of what i live on anyway. just boca burgers and frozen vegetables.

i was planning on doing all my laundry before the surgery. i can still do it if i break them down into really light, small loads.

that's a good idea about the plates and stuff. i think i'll leave them out before i go in a more reachable area.

This is kind of not my business, so you don't have to answer, but do you have a couple sets of sheets? If not you may want to get some extra, you won't be able to change your sheets , but chances are the first few days -week home you might really sweat alot when you are sleeping,and go thru a set every day, so if you have spare sheets then the nurse or whoever can change them for you. Is your washer and dryer easy to get to or would you have to carry things up and down alot of steps? Maybe you could see if there is a pick up laundry service, I just remeber after all of Justin's OHS we went thru loads of extra laundry, because he'd have to change his tops often if he slept

Wow, you are planning very well.
I don't know if you need to hire a home nurse, who I'm guessing will probably be an CNA, and not an RN or LVN. Most insurance does cover home-health nurse visits, so I would say check your plan and see if it's covered. The hospital discharge planner will take care of the arrangements before you're ready to go home. And the home-health nurse should be able to do any needed blood draws to check your INR.

When is your surgery? You'll be surprised of what you will remember to do. I live alone, too, and I don't think there was anything that I hadn't thought of beforehand, or if there was it was easily enough managed. Do you know for sure you will be bedridden? I think you have a more complicated heart history than most, but usually, docs and such want you moving a bit even when you first get home, certainly not to the point of wearing yourself out, but don't think you need to potato all day?

Lip balm is a very good thing to have while you're in the hospital. Seems the air is always dry. Wet wipes might be handy for when you're home. They have great ones in the hospital.

I really compliment your resourcefulness!

i'd have to wash them and carry them up and down a lot of stairs :< i'd used them a while back for guests and was lazy and never washed them. well now the joke's on me. it's just one extra set, though and i could do it some other week before surgery. i'm sure one of my friends won't mind changing my sheets and keeping them clean post surgery.

I made plenty of casseroles and soups pre-op. I am still eating some of them a month later. I made sure that they were relatively low sodium and low fat. I also stocked up on supplies like soap, laundry detergent, toilet paper so I did not have to worry about getting and unloading so many groceries. I bought the small boxes of laundry detergent because of the weight restrictions post-op. I was going to be out of the house for almost a month so I made sure I cleaned out the refrigerator. Is someone going to pick up your mail?

Debbie

i'd have to wash them and carry them up and down a lot of stairs :< i'd used them a while back for guests and was lazy and never washed them. well now the joke's on me. it's just one extra set, though and i could do it some other week before surgery. i'm sure one of my friends won't mind changing my sheets and keeping them clean post surgery.

I am very sure your friends would really want to do ANYthing you specificaly asked, like change your sheets. Please remeber, and this is even more important because you'll be alone, but friends often really want to help, but just don't know how or what you could use help with. So ask specific things, if anyone asks can I help. Ask them if they would mind doing a load of laundry, or bringing you over a meal, or even if you have a friend that is a close by neighbor, ask if they would like to walk with you, when you have to get your walks in everyday. Often if you ask for specific things people are actually glad to be able to help you and they aren't just asking to be polite.

Wow, you are planning very well.
I don't know if you need to hire a home nurse, who I'm guessing will probably be an CNA, and not an RN or LVN. Most insurance does cover home-health nurse visits, so I would say check your plan and see if it's covered. The hospital discharge planner will take care of the arrangements before you're ready to go home. And the home-health nurse should be able to do any needed blood draws to check your INR.

When is your surgery? You'll be surprised of what you will remember to do. I live alone, too, and I don't think there was anything that I hadn't thought of beforehand, or if there was it was easily enough managed. Do you know for sure you will be bedridden? I think you have a more complicated heart history than most, but usually, docs and such want you moving a bit even when you first get home, certainly not to the point of wearing yourself out, but don't think you need to potato all day?

Lip balm is a very good thing to have while you're in the hospital. Seems the air is always dry. Wet wipes might be handy for when you're home. They have great ones in the hospital.

I really compliment your resourcefulness!

hm. you don't think i'll need someone around? well, i don't need to go through with it. i was more concerned about the first week/that i had transportation to the clinic since i couldn't drive for 2 months and i didn't want to burden my friends more than i was already.

i'll be sure to put the lip balm in my bag!

well, my first surgery, i'm not really sure what happened. the first week after i came home from the hospital, i was pretty floored. i'm not really sure why, but i really couldn't move around much the first week home. i had a fever and for some of it i was in a wheelchair. i also needed 7 transfusions. i wasn't exactly bedridden, but i couldn't move around that much so i guess i'm just concerned that someone is around to help me take care of my animals if my friends aren't able to. if it's clear i don't need help, i can just cancel the help, though. it's certainly not set in stone. they told me to call around the 16th (given my surgery is the 9th) to confirm. i just didn't think i'd be able to do everything given that i have 2 cats and my dog is an akita mix.

it's really reassuring though that you did it alone and that it went well! i'll remember that :D

Last edited:
I am very sure your friends would really want to do ANYthing you specificaly asked, like change your sheets. Please remeber, and this is even more important because you'll be alone, but friends often really want to help, but just don't know how or what you could use help with. So ask specific things, if anyone asks can I help. Ask them if they would mind doing a load of laundry, or bringing you over a meal, or even if you have a friend that is a close by neighbor, ask if they would like to walk with you, when you have to get your walks in everyday. Often if you ask for specific things people are actually glad to be able to help you and they aren't just asking to be polite.

this is good advice, as i'm very worried and shy and just so afraid i'm burdening people. thanks for this. i have one friend who lives close by and another friend who is coming by every day after her work. so both will be good!

I made plenty of casseroles and soups pre-op. I am still eating some of them a month later. I made sure that they were relatively low sodium and low fat. I also stocked up on supplies like soap, laundry detergent, toilet paper so I did not have to worry about getting and unloading so many groceries. I bought the small boxes of laundry detergent because of the weight restrictions post-op. I was going to be out of the house for almost a month so I made sure I cleaned out the refrigerator. Is someone going to pick up your mail?

Debbie

i shop at costco so noooo worries as far as running out of detergent/soap! i still have enough soap to weather out the zombie apocalypse with all the clean clothes i could want.

as for my mail, i'll be asking my friend who is checking in on my kitties to pick up my mail :)

You sound very organized and well prepared.
One suggestion I might add is I found I needed lots of extra pillows. Maybe you can scoot by Costco and pick up a few extras. They really made a difference in my comfort.
Have you arranged for someone to bring you home from the hospital when discharged?
Also.... If possibe, please have someone let us know how you're doing. We'll worry until we hear you are safely 'over the mountain'.
We'll look forward to hearing from you as soon as you are able.
Best wishes for a successful surgery and bump free recovery.

i have a few extra pillows. and i bought this thing for $15 and free shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/Brentwood-Bru...1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1279559010&sr=8-1

i didn't set up a take home ride since i didn't want anyone to commit to being my ride on a date/time they didn't know about for sure yet. but i'm sure it'll work out when things are clearer. worse comes to worse, i can always take a taxi.

i'll take my computer and let you guys know when i can!

pikacat,

My sister and BIL live in Portland, so if you get "stuck" contact me here and I'll get them on it. If you like, I can PM you my email and cell info.

marcia

hm. you don't think i'll need someone around? well, i don't need to go through with it. i was more concerned about the first week/that i had transportation to the clinic since i couldn't drive for 2 months and i didn't want to burden my friends more than i was already.

well, my first surgery, i'm not really sure what happened. the first week after i came home from the hospital, i was pretty floored. i'm not really sure why, but i really couldn't move around much the first week home. i had a fever and for some of it i was in a wheelchair. i also needed 7 transfusions. i wasn't exactly bedridden, but i couldn't move around that much so i guess i'm just concerned that someone is around to help me take care of my animals if my friends aren't able to. if it's clear i don't need help, i can just cancel the help, though.

it's really reassuring though that you did it alone and that it went well! i'll remember that :D

Sorry, I didn't know what it was like for your last surgery, and I was assuming you'd be pretty much able to take care of yourself when you got home, but only you can know, and if it's anything like last time, you well need help. Preparing to have help now sounds a whole lot better than trying to arrange it when you're home and may not feel well.

You most certainly will need someone to drive you to doctor appointments or whatever else is going on until your doc releases you to drive. I did not have a sternotomy, so one week home was 2 weeks post-op for me and that's when it was ok for me to drive. I don't know if a home nurse will drive you places or take care of pets, so if you haven't already cleared that with agency, you should, as there may be liability issues with what they can and cannot do.

I think you're wiser to err on the side of too much help than not enough.

PikaCat,
I think you've got a pretty good list. Although I wasn't alone after surgery, I still asked friends to commit to providing one meal for my first week out. It really made life easier not having to think about, buy, or prepare food. I also had my Significant Other post emails about my condition to a list of family and close friends so that we didn't have to explain the same thing over and over each day to different people. Perhaps you could communicate to one friend while you are in the hospital who then can blast out the info. to others that care about you. Once you are feeling better you can send out the daily updates on your improvements.

When you leave the hospital, you will probably have a list of new meds and you may want to ask your pharmacy how you can arrange for someone else to pick up your Rx or have it delivered. Some other things that I rushed to do in the days before my surgery that helped me have peace of mind was to write up a simple will, a durable power of attorney, medical power of attorney, and a living will. Many hospitals have simple forms for some of these items.

Best,
John

luana - i did clear it with the agency. they're normally one that provides elder care, and i've seen their specially equipped mobile around providing transportation quite a lot because the hospital they operate from is very near my home. i thought it seemed reasonable because they'd be able to transport me and could help me walk around if i needed it, unlike a taxi. the agency also told me they would walk my dog if i really did have no one on a given day, though they did seem a little reluctant on that part.

unfortunately, my surgeon told me it is 2 months until i can drive. i think the issue is re-breaking the sternum on the steering wheel.

Discharge Meds

Discharge Meds

Yes, you'll no doubt come home with Rx meds. I assumed most hospitals have pharmacies that patients can get their scripts from, but maybe not. If you don't know about your hospital, ask when you do your pre-op stuff if you can get your discharge meds filled at hospital.

When I was discharged, the Rxs were given to the pharmacy a few hours before so when I was wheeled out it was a quick stop to get them before getting in the car. If your hospital isn't able to do this have them phone the scripts to a pharmacy where either you can pick up on the way home, or have delivered to you.

luana - i did clear it with the agency. they're normally one that provides elder care, and i've seen their specially equipped mobile around providing transportation quite a lot because the hospital they operate from is very near my home. i thought it seemed reasonable because they'd be able to transport me and could help me walk around if i needed it, unlike a taxi. the agency also told me they would walk my dog if i really did have no one on a given day, though they did seem a little reluctant on that part.

unfortunately, my surgeon told me it is 2 months until i can drive. i think the issue is re-breaking the sternum on the steering wheel.

Oh, good. I should have known with your sound judgement you would have cleared that, but sometimes when we have to do the bulk of stuff on our own, things can be missed, and this is a lot to plan for.

Latest posts

Back