Bbq rub

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbone

Makes about one cup

This rub is good for Ribs, Pork Shoulders, Chickens, or most any other meat you want to barbecue. Use 2-3 teaspoons per pound of meat.

¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar

¼ cup sweet paprika

3 tablespoons black pepper

3 tablespoons coarse salt

1 tablespoon hickory ? flavored salt, or more coarse salt

2 teaspoons garlic powder

2 teaspoons onion powder

2 teaspoons celery seed

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl, and stir to mix. It is best to mix with clean hands. Break up any lumps of brown sugar, and mix well. Store in airtight container away from heat & light. This will store for up to 6 months.

Thanks! I have to get some made up for hubby. He does some mean smokin' of brisket and turkey. We love BBQ 'round here, but everything is full of SALT. This way I can leave it out! And Mr. Spice makes a pretty good salt free honey bbq sauce, too.

I use 2-3 teaspoons per pound of meat as suggested. Also, I let the meat set for at least 1/2 hr. before BBQ'ing to get the flavors flowing. You can use sea salt instead of course salt, for lower sodium. I use course myself.

Now this is one of my personal recipies.

Hey there Tbone, put your brown sugar in the freezer and it won't dry up on you and get hard.
Keeping it in the freezer will keep it moist and always ready for use.

I have a few marinades, but they include soy sauce and/or perhaps too much salt for some people.

Not to take away from your thread Tbone - I could post them if anyone is interested.

IMHO - this is one totally Awesome for steaks.

24 Hour Marinade

1/2 cup Salad Oil
1/2 cup Soy Sauce (I use China Lily)
4 tbsp Ketchup
5 tbsp White Vinegar
1 tbsp Pepper
4 Garlic Cloves - Crushed
4 tbsp CattleBoys BBQ Sauce

Use remaining sauce for basting while on the grill. Baste often.

Here's the other one that some may find too salty

Something New for Ribs (or Pork Chops)

Mix the following dry spices:
1 tbsp Soup-in-a-Mug (Beef Flavored)
1 tbsp Sou-in-a-Mug (Chicken Flavored)
1 tsp Onion Salt
1 tsp Garlic Powder (or salt)
Place in an empty spice bottle/container for convenience (keeps for ever)

Preheat over to 500F

Wash ribs and remove membrane.
Place aluminum foil on cookie sheet and spray lightly with cooking oil.
With meaty side down, sprinkle with Worcestershire sauce, then season with Lawry's Season Salt. Sprinkle on your dry spices and some oregano.

Turn ribs over and repeat.

After 25 minutes, turn ribs over and brush on Oyster Sauce. Return to oven for another 3 minutes and enjoy.

Give the two a try..........and I hope you do enjoy them.

Fred, post your marinades too.....I think that there are new lower sodium soy sauces, and ppl can reduce salt if needed.

Yes there are many low sodium soy sauces out there. The #1 rated low sodium soy sauce, FOR FLAVOR, as founded by The American Test Kitchen is Lee Kum Kee. Also my favorite. ;)

A small tip: if you ever run out of brown sugar, but have white sugar and molasses around, you can mix some molasses (a Tbsp. at a time) into the sugar until it gets to the right consistency.

Tbone, you never cease to amaze me. All this stuff comin' down and you're in the kitchen!

Ahh bar-b-que season!

Ahh bar-b-que season!

T-Bone,

That rub sounds great. I'll have to try it. I make one that's very similar for ribs (and chicken). It contains no salt (I've never liked the stuff). So much flavor; who needs salt? I'll add some heat with dried chipotles (crushed w/mortar and pestal). Sometimes I'll add a little bit of crushed red pepper. I typically make dry ribs and let others put sauce on if they want. Another variation on this (a little wetter one) involves rubbing stone ground mustard on the ribs after they have seasoned in the dry rub for several hours. It's a very different kind of flavor.

I used to simply smoke them for 4 - 5 hours, but I have lost patience for that method as I've aged and now cook them in foil in the oven for about 1.5 hours at about 275. This keeps them moist but still allows me to drain a good bit of fat before placing them on the grill over very low heat. I place alum. foil pans with water under them so the heat is indirect and I'll add soaked hickory chips to the flame 2 or 3 times. This method does require the cook's attention, but it's great because I can hang around between the kitchen and deck wearing an apron and carrying a nice red ale and some tongs while my wife cleans the house. When guests arrive, my wife just gives me a look as they all compliment my hard work.

T-Bone,

That rub sounds great. I'll have to try it. I make one that's very similar for ribs (and chicken). It contains no salt (I've never liked the stuff). So much flavor; who needs salt? I'll add some heat with dried chipotles (crushed w/mortar and pestal). Sometimes I'll add a little bit of crushed red pepper. I typically make dry ribs and let others put sauce on if they want. Another variation on this (a little wetter one) involves rubbing stone ground mustard on the ribs after they have seasoned in the dry rub for several hours. It's a very different kind of flavor.

I used to simply smoke them for 4 - 5 hours, but I have lost patience for that method as I've aged and now cook them in foil in the oven for about 1.5 hours at about 275. .

I have one recepice for pork shoulder (when I have a LARGE peice of meat) that takes 1 1/2 days to make

How many lbs are we talking?

The Boston butt is from the upper part of the pork shoulder and has the least bone. Yep, you heard right a pork butt comes from the upper portion of the front leg of the pig. I know that doesn't sound right, but that is the way it is. A butt usually weighs 6-8 lbs. A Boston butt is an excellent choice for pulled pork barbecue.

The picnic is from the bottom of the shoulder, It also usually weighs about 6-8 lbs. It may have the bone in it or the bone removed and rolled and tied. They say the sweeter meat is by the bone, so some people leave it in. If you take it out then you need to roll & tie it.

I like to use the boston butt myself

Latest posts

Back