BAV Replacment and ascending aorta with snow skiing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zztimeout

Well my surgery has been pushed back a week now... On the 19th May is the big day... It's starting to get cold here in Australia and all my mates getting ready to go snow skiing this year... I am a keen snow skier and this year will be spent in bed... I would like to hear from people out there that have their BAV replaced with the ascending aorta to see if they still ski... Is elevation ok..?? I am not a full on downhill skier.. More of a cruiser that does not rip through trees ect... More easy skier..

Want to go to Canada in a few years so hope all is good

Thanks
Dave

Yup. I've spent two ski weeks in Whistler since my AVR on Dec. 1. The first one started around 8 weeks post-op. I took it easy, mostly because I was on Warfarin then, but also because my valve was so new. About two weeks ago, I took it less easy. Details on the "Norm's Story. . ." thread.

There are much higher-altitude areas than Whistler, and if you've got SOB, high altitude would surely make it worse. . .

Hey Dave,

I had my ascending aorta replaced and my own bicuspid aortic valve reshaped in July, and was skiing no problem in Feb. No little hill, the Rocky Mountains in Banff, Canada. Felt great, legs were still quite tired as I am still getting back in shape. If you have your valve replaced double check if it's ok, but I was fine!
Good luck buddy!
Cam

My two cents? I think it's not a great idea. 1. You have an aneurysm 2. If you have a problem on the slopes, it's bad news. 3. A well known surgeon says that if an aneurysm patient can not guarantee that he/she will not fall even once, it is not recommended to ski or snowboard. This includes post op. 4. Just because most people did it without incident doesn't mean you will have the same results.

Last edited:
Well my surgery has been pushed back a week now... On the 19th May is the big day... It's starting to get cold here in Australia and all my mates getting ready to go snow skiing this year... I am a keen snow skier and this year will be spent in bed... I would like to hear from people out there that have their BAV replaced with the ascending aorta to see if they still ski... Is elevation ok..?? I am not a full on downhill skier.. More of a cruiser that does not rip through trees ect... More easy skier..

Want to go to Canada in a few years so hope all is good

Thanks
Dave

I know how you feel. I'm a downhill skier, boo-hoo. I'm 11 weeks post-op. I haven't completely ruled out skiing yet but I have a frame of mind that it may be over, being on Coumadin etc. I keep telling myself that if I just stick to the blue and green runs I should be ok.

Latest posts

Back