Bad Home Monitor Machines ??????

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank You All for your input. I checked each machine at least on 4 occassions. They didn't match. I had a nurse come and show me how to check on the Coagu XS System and I had previously 3 years experience in testing. Yet, they didn't match my lab results - in (two) different labs. Now I would love to home test - but I want it accurate. Or with in a .5 difference. I didn't get that. The lady at QAS was well aware of the inconsistency's of the lab vs machine testing. Happens alot she said. So, since she is more aware of this problem - she assured me I was not imagineing it. I don't like it anymore than you - believe me.

But "SHE" assured me that this problem is "NOT UNCOMMON".. SO why do we pay for substandard equipment? Why doesn't QAS check and report the discrepancies to the patients? I don't blame QAS for faulty equipment - only that they are selling this to consumers and not reporting the discrepancies.. But like the lady said at QAS - It's business - and I don't blame you at all for not home testing... Now there's an honest person.

Please check and double check (4) or more checks with your home monitor vs. the labs.

Best Wishes,
M&M

My Coaguchek XS is very reliable - I have done about 4 or 5 comparison tests with the lab in the 18+ months that I have been using it and each time it has been well within a .5 difference.
The doctor that encouraged and supported me to get the machine told me that "these machines HAVE TO BE RELIABLE because people's lives depend on it" I guess that was good enough for me to go ahead and get it and I have never looked back.

Having said that, if YOU absolutely feel that you trust the lab testing results more then home testing may not be the way for you and you should abandon your machine.
You have to feel comfortable and secure with your choice - whether it be lab testing or home testing.

Good luck for the future.
Bridgette

Thank You All for your input. I checked each machine at least on 4 occassions. They didn't match. I had a nurse come and show me how to check on the Coagu XS System and I had previously 3 years experience in testing. Yet, they didn't match my lab results - in (two) different labs. Now I would love to home test - but I want it accurate. Or with in a .5 difference. I didn't get that. The lady at QAS was well aware of the inconsistency's of the lab vs machine testing. Happens alot she said. So, since she is more aware of this problem - she assured me I was not imagineing it. I don't like it anymore than you - believe me.

But "SHE" assured me that this problem is "NOT UNCOMMON".. SO why do we pay for substandard equipment? Why doesn't QAS check and report the discrepancies to the patients? I don't blame QAS for faulty equipment - only that they are selling this to consumers and not reporting the discrepancies.. But like the lady said at QAS - It's business - and I don't blame you at all for not home testing... Now there's an honest person.

Please check and double check (4) or more checks with your home monitor vs. the labs.

Best Wishes,
M&M

It is a dilemma, BUT it STILL sounds like you Believe the Lab Result is INFALLIBLE. I don't accept that premise.

One question:

One question:

M&M:
Did you run a comparison test with any of these 4 machines on a person who was NOT on warfarin?

Also, did you keep records of these "inconsistent" INRs? I'd be interested in each INR per the home-testing machine vs. lab draw done @ the same time. (I'm assuming you did an INR @ the lab just before/after the lab drew some blood.)

You do have to realize that you could run two consecutive INRs and they would not be identical.
Don't know how quickly water we drink affects the percentage in our blood, but dehydration does increase the INR, and being well-hydrated would bring that INR down some, since the amount of warfarin in the blood would be lessened by the increased water in a particular sample.
At least, that's the way I understand it from what I've read. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me -- PDQ.:)

I'm sorry catwoman. But the results are what they are !!! I don't control that. Two labs vs. two different manufacturers. All not matching. !! Do what you want - I'm only telling you the results. Check it our for yourself... I suggest you check your home machine numerous times and make sure that they are within a .5 range of your target range with your lab results. I'm just a consumer. Reporting the news and getting info from my coumadin clinic. It's your decision make it a wise decision. CHeck and double check.. Its your LIFE....

Best Wishes,
M&M

My feathers aren't going to get ruffled over this. I trust my machine.
Coaguchek is made in Germany and Roche is Swiss owned.....Believe me, those are 2 countries where precision medical equipment would never leave the country if there was even the slightest possibility of error.
I also highly doubt that QAS would knowingly sell inferior equipment and run the risk of being sued.
Thanks for the warning, but I'm not dumping my monitor.

M&M,

I have no stake in this as I do not home test, but please answer this... When you did the comparison tests, did you test with the machine AT the lab and at the same time as the lab draw? Also, did you ever test a person NOT on anticoagulation therapy?

Home Testing

Home Testing

M & M,

It's a good thing your experience is not like the majority of the rest of the world's experience with home testing.

Personally, I have been home testing for about seven years with more than one brand of home testing machine and I'm happy to report that I am extremely pleased with my results.

I think it important that we keep in mind that the important thing is not necessarily the number, but rather the trends and the awareness of our INR in relation to dosage changes, diet, environment and other factors.

No machine is a substitute for common sense, personal awareness and proper education about one's condition.

It is certainly your right to relinquish control of your monitoring to a laboratory.

When you compare a home test to a lab test, your comparing apples to oranges. You never will get an exact match ever! There are too many varibles that come into play such as, veinous blood sampling vs capillary or finger stick samples, reagent differences, ISI differences and so forth. You machine strips are coded for the reagent used for each test, therefor giving the most accurate reading you can possible get.

I just got out of the hospital where I tested before leaving and got 1.1 and their lab got 1.1. On the next test I got 1.3 and they got 1.5. No significant difference in the readings at all.

Sounds to me like someone at QAS needs to be trained on how the machines work because they are accurate, probably more so then lab tests. There has been plenty of studies showing the comparisons from lab to machine tests for accuracy, so what she's telling you is her lack of education on the matter.

You may do as you wish but I'll stick to and believe my meter any day over the lab tests.

I only took warfarin briefly and never home tested but I recognize I possibly could have to take it again some day so I read all of these conversations with interest.

I wonder how so many folks here use their home testing units and are safe and well and we (MOST THANKFULLY) do not read of horrible catastrophes happening to people depending upon their home units. All of them test periodically at a lab and verify the accuracy of their machines.

If these machines are as inaccurate and dangerous as M & M proclaims, how is it so many VR members are thriving and their INR levels are safe, in range where they should be?

Plain common sense says to me these machines have to be dependable a vast majority of the time. Certainly like lab testing, there can be an occasional 'burp'. A machine 'goes out of whack' or fails for some reason, perhaps outlived its usual length of service but they have to be safe or we'd be hearing about unfortunate episodes and ALL of us are happy that is not the case.

There is more here than has been made clear IMO
I cannot pretend to know why M & M has such divergent results from everyone else who has posted here and wouldn't even guess the reason.

Are you testing properly?
Getting a good blood droplet?

Whatever is going on you need to feel safe and secure about your testing. You are doing the right thing to choose the method that works best for you. It is too important for you to feel uncomfortable and insecure about your home unit.

Good luck.

statistically speaking ......................

statistically speaking ......................

it's well known that patients using the "finger stick" method of home testing stay within their recommended range a greater per cent of the time. It's well documented and has been for years the world over.
I feel it is because all of us of realize the seriousness of ACT and are motivated to learn all we can about it. Over time vein draws will damage the veins as mine has been.
M & M's experiences are certainly a conundrum and I wish her well in whatever method she uses to stay in range.

it's well known that patients using the "finger stick" method of home testing stay within their recommended range a greater per cent of the time. It's well documented and has been for years the world over.
I feel it is because all of us of realize the seriousness of ACT and are motivated to learn all we can about it. Over time vein draws will damage the veins as mine has been.
Jkm7's experiences are certainly a conundrum and I wish her well in whatever method she uses to stay in range.

JUST FOR THE SAKE OF CLARITY, I am NOT on coumadin. The OP and person having the problem with the testing unit is M & M. :cool:

M & M,

I think it important that we keep in mind that the important thing is not necessarily the number, but rather the trends and the awareness of our INR in relation to dosage changes, diet, environment and other factors.

No machine is a substitute for common sense, personal awareness and proper education about one's condition.

I agree with Hanks' quote above. For me, any INR between 2.5-3.5 is within my target and I pay little attention to the number itself unless I show a trend towards the bottom or top of my target. I had lab draws for three decades and have had finger sticks for the past decade. Both methods produced similar results. I've also found that my results were similar between my home testing and doctor office testing.

A couple years ago, I began logging my INR's, dosage, other Rx, seasonal factors, etc. That has been very useful in identifying reasons for INR changes. My PCP considers my log and charting to be more useful than their medical records. As Hank stated above, those of us on ACT need only to "use common sense, personal awareness and education" to routinely manage our INR.

I home tested for several months with good results from an INRatio. My PCP got a Coagucheck(sp?) and I transferred my testing back to his office. He is very convenient to my home and is a lot less expensive than home testing.

Latest posts

Back