Back to competitive volleyball at ~11 months post-op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normofthenorth

I've been updating "my blog" -- at http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...recovery&p=505952&highlight=norm's#post505952 -- with news of my return to some pretty aggressive volleyball. So far, so good, and it feels great to be back! Thought I'd cross-post since it's so on-topic here.

I've also posted some details there about last week's Stress EKG, the third I've had at Toronto Rehab (Feb, May, Nov). I requested that test specifically because of my hyper-active (some would say "crazy active") lifestyle.

The results have reassured me, and the nurse who runs my section of the Cardiac Rehab program, that I'm probably OK going "reasonably nuts" playing v-ball with a bunch of athletes 30+ years my junior.

Last two T.R. visits -- for the stress test and the following day's weekly Rehab session -- I took my bike to the Rehab clinic, too. Admittedly, I took the bike onto a subway car for a few stops on the way there, for the trip up Toronto's "escarpment", but I rode all the East-West distance, and all the way home, too (~8.5 miles NOT counting the subway part) -- and on the same day when I was cranking on the bike at Toronto Rehab, too. . .

In beach volleyball, I've even had my first experience diving onto my sternum for a ball(!). It didn't hurt, though my chest did "say hello" afterwards. Not 100% normal "same ol', same ol'", but not bad or scary, either. I expect to do that again -- and probably on the court floor, too, when the situation arises.

In short, at just over 11 months post-AVR, I feel like a pretty healthy and "normal" athlete again (if rusty and still getting 100% into shape). That's if you can call somebody normal who plays competitive volleyball with a bunch of kids at 66 y.o.!!

BTW, I think I've also posted "there" that my last ECHO EKG -- at my Cardiologist's, not the Rehab place -- estimated a wimpy 1.3 sq. cm. of effective area from my brand-new pig valve! My Cardiologist basically said "Deal with it!" and I guess that's what I'm doing. It's clearly not holding me back, but then my native valve didn't hold me back when it was at 1.3 sq. cm. of effective area, either. I sure hope this one has more years left in it than that one did at that stage. . .

Last edited:
The new 1.3 cm is better than the old 1.3 cm because there's no regurgitation or backflow now.

I tell you what, Norm, my "brand new" cow valve may have a larger effective area, but at 30 years your junior here and in tip top shape also, I wouldn't even bother stepping into the sand with you, I can tell from your posts I wouldn't stand a chance of keeping up! Keep doing what you're doing...it's great to hear.

Thanks for the comments, all.

Greg, I wish I could make all my v-ball opponents slow way down by running in slo-mo and making clicking noises like the $6m man did!

Latest posts

Back