AVR Surgery nervous about it

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sonup

Hi all,

This is my first post.I will be having my AVR surgery in Feb.I had my Cardiac Catheterization yesterday and they found that I have no blocked arteries.
I only need a aortic replacement surgery.

I was browsing through the forum and was scare of reading the there is some tube in the mouth after the surgery and was bit worried.
I am bit nervous about the whole thing.

Did anyone have a keyhole surgery for AVR ? and how was it .Please if you can share your experience. and how is the pain in the first week.

Thanks
sonup

Hello and welcome to the funny farm.

Read as much as you can and learn all you can before surgery and you'll be prepared and a little less anxious about it all. I'm not sure who has and hasn't had minimally invasive surgery. Might try doing a search on it and see what turns up. Personally, I'd rather them have me open and be able to do what must be done, plus they get a good look at the rest of the pipes to see if anything else is going on while they're at it.

Hang in there, others will be around to talk with you about it. ;)

Hello! I am coming up on 2nd anniv of aortic valve replacement in April. The "tube" down your throat - I woke up swallowing and swallowing and the nurses kept telling me to relax - LISTEN to your nurses, when I did what they said, I calmed down. Getting that sucker pulled outta there is NO treat, but hey, you do what you have to, right? <<<BIG HUG HERE>>>

Pain levels - I was amazed - you're sore, yes, but when you think about what they've done, it is minimal (mine was, at least!). You are on your feet the next morning, getting bathed and stood up...that's quite a chore but absolutely do-able, as the ICU nurses are in front and in back and very enabling and supportive.

I got by beautifully on Darvocet. Don't use your arms, use your belly muscles to sit up and lie down, you'll do just great!!

FEAR is the worst thing of all. Trust that you and your nursing staff and your doctor will accomplish this thing, and that you will be better than new!

You're a team, and it's cool feeling a good solid heartbeat for the first time in ages. I thought the shower faucet was dripping constantly, but it was my wonderful new Onx valve delicately "tink-tink-tink'ing" away!

Sort of a mechanical nausea after the surgery - not kidding, I'm the worst for dreading any type of stomach upset, it hits, you're done (I was, again, at least!).

Looking back, it was all do-able. Tell nurses any kind of discomfort or worry, they will assist you in every way.

I had the best looking after me. It's so reassuring.

I always used their names, thanked them profusely. :) I think they appreciate that.

You will do so beautifully! Chin up, it's hell but you walk out of there feeling such strength even in the weakness of recovery.

All my best!!!

MOST of us report various levels of "discomfort" about our chest incisions, as opposed to PAIN.

Muscle Pain (especially back muscles)can be an issue but is relieved FASTER and BETTER with MASSAGE. Muscle pains arise because of how they position / pull your arms /body during surgery.

Browse through the Pre-Surgery and Post-Surgery Forums to read about the experience of others. EVERYONE is Scared Before Surgery and most are relieved to report that the WAITING is the Worst Part. The Surgery itself is almost always FAR LESS of an issue than we fear going in.

'AL Capshaw'

Its scarey waiting, sure you will be fine. All the best with your up coming surgery.

I had my AVR in 2007. It is do able! Don't worry about the throat, the nurse will take care of you! Believe me, if I could do it, anyone can. Take your pain meds, walk and you will be fine!

Fear of the unknown, perfectly normal! Fear of pain, discomfort, the dreaded tube....again, all normal. You have found the best forum to help relieve you of some of these fears. I think most all will agree, the worst part of heart surgery are the days leading to the procedure. I don't know if I am the "norm" but my post-surgery went extremely well, with very little pain. The hospital staff will do a very good job of helping manage the pain for you.
Yes, the old vent tube is annoying, but relax as best you can and they will get it gone as quickly as possible. I know it really bothered me, but didn't last long. You will experience lot's of poking and prodding and "things" being removed from you. Short term discomfort at worst.
The key to the whole thing is ATTITUDE and a great support group. Get all your ducks in a row and go with it.
Look at all who have made it just fine, right here on this forum. We are just a small percentage of successful heart procedures. You have technology on your side.
Take a deep breath and envision yourself 6 weeks from now.
Best of luck, keep us all posted,

Welcome sonup, hang in there, you'll see that the waiting is the worse, best of luck and don't be shy ask away, we're here to help. Just keep reading the people on here are the best, this is where I spent my time before surgery and don't regret one bit.

Hi all,

This is my first post.I will be having my AVR surgery in Feb.I had my Cardiac Catheterization yesterday and they found that I have no blocked arteries.
I only need a aortic replacement surgery.

I was browsing through the forum and was scare of reading the there is some tube in the mouth after the surgery and was bit worried.
I am bit nervous about the whole thing.

Did anyone have a keyhole surgery for AVR ? and how was it .Please if you can share your experience. and how is the pain in the first week.

Thanks
sonup
Thats the thing I was must worried about.I put up a post about 3 days ago(Post-Op Tube) had a lot of responses and eased my mind quite a bit.P.S. skip Williams post!You'll do fine.Just got a phone message and had my consultation with surgeon postponed hes in surgery tommorrow.Worst part of the whole thing is the waiting I thing.I must not be in as bad as shape as they thing I am.I STILL FEEL GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had my valve replaced Sept 2007; I was kept knocked out for 2 days because I developed "a touch of pneumonia", which is not unusual. That tube helps you breathe, so it really is a good thing. By the time I finally woke up, the breathing tube was gone, as were a few others, so I can't remember any pain! Pain management is one of their first priorities, and it only lasts a short while. By the time I was discharged, I was only on OTC tylenol.

I only need a aortic replacement surgery. Must admit, I got a bit of a giggle at the ONLY part of that one ! My arteries were clear, too, and my cardio doesn't even check my cholesterol, which I get a laugh about, too !

Hi and welcome to the group! I had AVR too two years ago. You won't even be aware of the tube and you'll be just fine. Just think of how many more years will be added on to your lifetime. God Bless!

Sonup,

Welcome aboard and congratulation on your cath results.

As for the tube, mine was removed before I woke up. Talk to your surgeon or whoever if they can do the same to you. Good luck and keep us posted.:)

Breathing Tube etc.

Breathing Tube etc.

Hi Sonup,

I just got home from my AVR (Had an On-X valve installed 12 Jan). I too was very anxious about the breathing tube as I have a horrible gag reflex. My anesthesiologist was apologetic but said it was safer to leave the tube in place until they were completely sure that I was breathing on my own.
I have very little recollection about the tube as I was very groggy when waking up. I remember it was pretty uncomfortable but by the time I was really paying attention the tube was gone. As far as pain is concerned I had a couple of bad moments but the nurses were quick with pain meds and my major discomfort came from the shortness of the bed (I'm 6'3" and they just don't make hospital beds to fit).
So although it's not something you would want to do too often, the whole experience was nowhere near as traumatic as I was expecting.
When the time comes, take a deep breath, go with the flow and you are suddenly waking up with it all behind you.

Best wishes, Doug.

my ventilator tube was gone when i woke up, or maybe i was too groggy to
remember waking up with it. i found the things i worried about beforehand
were not a problem. iv's, catheter removal, line removals, were all pretty much
painless. i think the only thing that really hurt was trying to cough up some
phlegm, but soon learned how to hold the pillow just right.

one thing that will help is to ask your nurses to slowly explain whatever it is
they're about to do before they do it, and to give you some warning before
they push any of the bed adjustment controls.

welcome to VR. You need to read all you can. it isn't really as scary as you now believe. we have some time with you to calm you. Just so you know, nearly all of us came to VR because we were scared and unfamiliar with heart things. Ask questions and somebody will have an answer for you. Plus, we may tell you stuff you haven't thought about asking. Blessins.............

Latest posts

Back