AVR surgery at the VA hospital

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator67

I'm scheduled for minimally invasive AVR surgery at the Denver VA next Monday (in 8 days). Has anyone had an AVR at this or any other VA hospital? They have taken great care of me so far and I confidence in my surgical team. Apparently they do about 3 of these each week, but I'm on the front end and I'm a tad anxious, as are most at this stage it seems.

I'm scheduled for minimally invasive AVR surgery at the Denver VA next Monday (in 8 days). Has anyone had an AVR at this or any other VA hospital? They have taken great care of me so far and I confidence in my surgical team. Apparently they do about 3 of these each week, but I'm on the front end and I'm a tad anxious, as are most at this stage it seems.
I'm up Friday July 26 at Washington Hospital Center in DC - so far the anxiety level is mostly low, but there is still plenty of time to ramp up! I won't know what technique will be used until I meet with the surgeon, but since it's only the valve being replaced I'm hoping he can use one of the less invasive approaches (laparosopic, side incision) - we'll see. In any case I'm focusing on post-surgery and hopefully feeling a lot better. Good luck to you.
Dave

Thank you for your encouragement Dave. I just asked my surgeon for a minimally invasive procedure and he said ok. I was surprised that I had a choice, but I suppose my situation allows for it. I'm hoping that they are able to successfully do mine this way. It never hurts to ask. I go in for pre-op next Friday, surgery on Monday morning.

Thank you for your encouragement Dave. I just asked my surgeon for a minimally invasive procedure and he said ok. I was surprised that I had a choice, but I suppose my situation allows for it. I'm hoping that they are able to successfully do mine this way. It never hurts to ask. I go in for pre-op next Friday, surgery on Monday morning.
Excellent - meet you on the other side!

aviator, I can't attest to the VA on AVR's, but my brother always used the VA and always got excellent care. So, be strong, have all your ducks in a row before surgery and just go for it. Being 8 weeks post op, I can say the worst part was the waiting until the day arrives and you have done all you can and it is time. Your Drs. and their team will take excellent care of you. Recovery is mostly up to you. The saying breath, walk, eat, sleep is under rated. It helps to do all that stuff! I know it has helped me get back to normal within 8 weeks (except trying to get my Coumadin level balanced still). Accept help in the beginning and don't do too much too soon. We will all be here when you get to the other side of the mountain. Prayers are coming your way.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

53 year old female AVR, May 23, 2013. On-x 21 mm valve. In the waiting room 10 years. Surgery done by Dr. Glenn Barnhart, Swedish Medical Center, Cherry Hill location, Seattle, WA.

Excellent - meet you on the other side!

Had my pre-op tests today - 3 hours worth of counseling/advising, EKG, physical exam, blood work, instructions for day of surgery, post-surgery process, etc. I guess I passed - Thursday they will give me a reporting time, possibly as early as 5 AM Friday. My wife is totally freaked out because she is absolutely phobic about big-city driving. We're going to make a dry run tomorrow with her at the wheel. If this works out, I'm sure the surgery will be a walk in the park by comparison.

Thank you Kim, I appreciate your encouragement. I just hadn't planned on this so soon, if ever!

None of us plan to have this life saving surgery...our bodies just make us do it! lol. We choose to have the AVR so that we have the opportunity to grow old. Will be thinking about you. See ya on the other side. - Kim

I hope so! Good luck!
Well, the dry run worked out pretty well, so that should be ok. Unfortunately, though, they can't use any alternative surgical technique - I'm getting the full Monty (sternotomy). Oh well, it was worth asking.

Hey Aviator,

Sounds interesting. What exactly is involed in a minimally invasive AVR? I assume you are having a repair rather than replacement? Le me know how it goes.

I assume you are having a repair rather than replacement? Le me know how it goes.
No, it's a replacement. CE Magna-ease pericardial tissue valve. I'll know more on Friday when I go in for pre-op. My surgeon explained it somewhat but honestly, at the time I was a bit overwhelmed when he described the additional incisions that would have to be made in my leg and neck to do it in a "minimally invasive" way. I was hoping for teleportation, but I'll settle for anything that works and muscle through the recovery as needed. :)

See ya on the other side. - Kim

I've seen this phrase a lot here, for me it's more like stepping in front of a freight train rather than traveling to the other side of a mountain. But I'll be happy to get this behind me, and I'm hoping this waiting is the worst part like many people have indicated. Here's to a uncomplicated and speedy recovery. Cheers! :)

Last edited:
I've seen this phrase a lot here, for me it's more like stepping in front of a freight train rather than traveling to the other side of a mountain. But I'll be happy to get this behind me, and I'm hoping this waiting is the worst part like many people have indicated. Here's to a uncomplicated and speedy recovery. Cheers! :)

You will understand being on the other side of the mountain after you have your surgery. You too will then be part of the been there, done that crowd and posting in the post op forum. :)

Minimally invasive means either a smaller sternotomy, the bone is still broken, just a smaller incision, or a mini-thoracotomy, incision between 2 ribs on right side of chest, no sternum broken.

Minimally invasive means either a smaller sternotomy, the bone is still broken, just a smaller incision, or a mini-thoracotomy, incision between 2 ribs on right side of chest, no sternum broken.
I had my pre-op yesterday at Washington Hospital Center in DC. I inquired about less invasive techniques, and was told that to qualify for anything other than sternotomy I would have to be a) too old and sick to withstand surgery, or b) part of a formal trial group. To do the latter, I would have to get my cardiologist and surgeon to provide a justification, and then if accepted go to the end of the waiting line. I've waited too long already - I'm having the full Monty :eek2: this Friday 7/26.

Full Monty is not as bad as you think. The surgery and recovery have been way easier than I thought. I will be praying for you and your family tomorrow. What time is your surgery scheduled? - Kim

Well I just found out one of the drawbacks of having this done at the VA hospital, my surgery date was pushed back 1 week until August 5th. Rats! I figure it's an answer to prayer and part of God's larger plan so we are praying for the chap that must be in worst shape taking my scheduled day. I'm back to 11 days to go.

Full Monty is not as bad as you think. The surgery and recovery have been way easier than I thought. I will be praying for you and your family tomorrow. What time is your surgery scheduled? - Kim
Thanks a lot, Kim, and to everybody who has posted. I'm to report tomorrow at 5 AM, which means getting up at 3 AM. Odds are I won't be sleeping much anyway. I'm prepared for the worst with respect to recovery, and hoping for the best.

Latest posts

Back