Avr next week

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rhonda, There are a lot of threads on here about what to expect after surgery and everyone's experience is a little different than someone else's. But, basically, you'll feel like crap for the first week. It's ok, they'll offer plenty of drugs, which you should take! After that, for most of us, it starts getting a little better, day by day. They'll get you up and moving around in the hospital as soon as possible and will expect you to continue that after you go home. You won't be allowed to pick up anything heavier than 5 -10 lbs for probably 6 weeks. You shouldn't drive for a time (different Dr's will tell you a different time, but plan on at least 2 weeks and more likely 4-6). Other than that, I got on pretty well once I was home. I didn't need anyone to stay with me all day, but preferred to shower and get my walks in when someone was here with me, just in case. You'll tire more easily, that's normal. But, hopefully, you will eventually start feeling better than you did before surgery.

Kim

hi there,well agree with what kfay has said, you will be just fine,and think of all that getting looked after,milk it ok, i did lol

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum & wish you the very best with your upcoming AVR. As others have mentioned, there are tons of posts here that tell you what you can expect after OHS.

I pray that all goes well with yours! Godspeed!

Hey Rhonda. I just had AVR three weeks ago and you can follow my progress on the post surgery forum. Everyone is different, but it really helps to see what others have experienced.

Where are you having your surgery?

At 2 weeks post op I feel alot better than I thought I would. Walking 2 miles a day. Like evryone has said people are different and will heel a little different. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions.

Hey Rhonda! Was wondering if you're having a sternotomy, or minimally invasive type of surgery? The sternotomy (where rib cage is opened), takes longer to recover from.

More importantly, I want you to know I'll be sending positive thoughts and prayers your way! Here's to success and a more energy-filled future!
:) ~Karen

Hi and welcome, Rhonda!
nobody can tell you exactly to expect, but as mentioned, you can read the stickies in the Pre-surgery and Post-surgery forum for lots of our experiences, and check the Reference Sources for a few documents from heart centers. Then you'll have a basis for more specific questions. If you want to post more about yourself or fill out more of your profile, it's easier for people with similar situations to respond (but if you don't, that's fine too).

Best wishes,
Debby

Rhonda, There are a lot of threads on here about what to expect after surgery and everyone's experience is a little different than someone else's. But, basically, you'll feel like crap for the first week. It's ok, they'll offer plenty of drugs, which you should take! After that, for most of us, it starts getting a little better, day by day. They'll get you up and moving around in the hospital as soon as possible and will expect you to continue that after you go home. You won't be allowed to pick up anything heavier than 5 -10 lbs for probably 6 weeks. You shouldn't drive for a time (different Dr's will tell you a different time, but plan on at least 2 weeks and more likely 4-6). Other than that, I got on pretty well once I was home. I didn't need anyone to stay with me all day, but preferred to shower and get my walks in when someone was here with me, just in case. You'll tire more easily, that's normal. But, hopefully, you will eventually start feeling better than you did before surgery.

Kim

Welcome, Rhonda! I think Kim summed up very well the more or less typical experience. It varies from one person to the other, of course. If you have specific questions, I'm sure you will get some good answers here. Wishing you all the best!

Hi Rhonda,
I think Kim summed it up really well by saying you'll pretty much feel like crap the first week. That's how I felt, though I can't attribute it to pain, as it was minimal, or the care I got , loved my doctors and most ICU nurses about as close to angels as you can get on earth, so it's hard to say just what it is, but the good thing is you're likely to feel relived that it is over, and as you get better, well, that makes it all worth while. And you'll be really really glad when you get home.

I remember thinking of the posts here that people had sent me before surgery. I couldn't quite relate to that "other side of the mountain" that I had read about, but after the surgery, it all made sense.

Wishing you all the best!
Luana

Welcome Rhonda and best of luck to you! I'm not where you are yet - I'm just in the foothills of that 'mountain'. But sometime I too will have to face it and it does give me anxiety if I stop and think about it too much. ON the other hand, I think it will be a real joy to have it over with.

Welcome, Rhonda.

Welcome, Rhonda.

Rhonda, like most others, I worried about how I would feel after surgery and since I live alone, I worried about what I would be able to do when I got home. The surprise was that pretty shortly after surgery I felt pretty good. Even experiencing some discomfort, you can still appreciate the difference in how your body feels with better blood flow. When I got home, I found there was nothing I couldn't do for myself but some things had to be done differently for awhile. I made my own meals but raising the arms to the upper cabinets was troublesome. Washing clothes was no big deal but I couldn't carry a fully laundry basket comfortably so I had to make more trips. That wonderful first shower at home dispelled any worry about whether I was going to need assistance. Oddly, making my bed was one of the more bothersome things I did and I had to reconsider tossing the sheets out over the bed. Doing things slowly and deliberately was a much better idea. Just keep in mind that the bother is worth the result. In a matter of days, you will be up and about and beginning to enjoy your life again.

Larry

Hey, Rhonda...welcome and best of luck with your surgery. I see that someone asked you which surgery you're having--the sternotomy or the the less-invasive. For the record, I had the less-invasive. Although I had a little lung problem which kept me in the hospital longer than expected, I have to say my recovery was a breeze. I live alone and sent the friend who'd come to "take care of me" away after about three days. I was able to drive in less than 3 weeks and went back to work part time in the same timeframe. BUT, like I say, this applies to the less invasive--I didn't have my sternum cracked open.

In general, though, surgery is surgery. I'd never even been in the hospital before so it was all a new experience for me. One thing the cardiac coordinator advised me: take all the pain meds. :) Two weeks later, when the surgeon asked me how my pain level was in the hospital, I told him I didn't remember having any. :) Now that may or may not be true, but at minimum, those meds kept me in la-la land...the perfect place to spend mental time just after surgery. :)

Assuming you're having this done in a good hospital...just put yourself in their hands and let them do all the work. :)

~Randy

Latest posts

Back