Attention Ross Procedure Patients

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colleen,

I think that most surgeons doing the Ross Procedure today wrap the aortic root with dacron as part of the procedure. I have no regrets as I was a low risk patient to have complications since I didn't have a bicuspid valve or other connective tissue disorders. I simply had aortic insufficiency caused primarily by a VSD and exasperated by bacterial endocarditis. My pulmonary valve was in perfect shape. The only thing weighing on my mind is that my surgeon had me on Toprol XL and said I would probably stay on that or something similar for the rest of my life to keep my heart rate and/or blood pressure lower. Well at my 2nd annual follow up exam my cardio took me off of the Toprol saying my blood pressure and heart rate were perfect and I didn't need it anymore. Fast forward to my annual follow up this March and my blood pressure is nearly off the charts and my heart rate wasn't too far behind. I was started on Amlodipine 5mg daily and then it was increased to 10mg daily which finally got my BP back into the normal zone. My heart rate came down some too but not as far down as I would have liked it to be. I'm wondering if during those 3 years of not being on a beta blocker or any other kind of BP/HR medication could have contributed to my dilated aortic root and aorta.

Believe it or not I'm still happy with the choice I made at the time. I spent a lot of time researching the RP, tissue valves, and mechanical valves and felt that I made an informed choice based on the information I had at the time. Plus my "gut" instinct was to go with the Ross, especially since I was having surgery at Duke Medical Center and the surgeon I chose was very experienced doing the RP and was also the best surgeon on the staff to repair my VSD since his specialty was pediatric cardiothoracic surgery including the Ross Procedure and pediatric heart transplant surgery. I think about 10% of post-op RP patients experience some type of aortic root or ascending aorta dilation (at least before they started wrapping them in dacron). Not all of these need further surgery, and of those that do many can be repaired with a valve sparing surgery. But you know someone has to be in that damn 10% and it just happens to be me this time.

Oh dear...I'm sorry to hear all this Bryan. I'm in the 10% with you. I seem to fall into that unlucky percentage with "unlikely" stuff like this.

Keep us posted on how things are going. Thinking of you!

Melissa

I'm a Rosser and I wouldnt reccommend it to anyone unless they are doing them differently. The contrast in pressures between the aortic and pulnomic valves just set you up for an aneurysm, IMHO, with the pulnomic not able to withstand the pressure that the aortic withstood, leaving you with a bulged artery (aneurysm). This is what happened to me.

I think you are a bit miss-informed here.......the aneurysm is not caused by the valve "not being able to withstand the new higher pressures".
Aneurysm's in the ascending aortic arch and root can be caused by leaking valves, enlarged LV, ect.....
I'm sorry you had an aneurysm develop as well as I did a few years following my RP....mine is more related to having a BAV originally and leaves me a higher potential for aneurysm's.

Take care

Turk

I think you are a bit miss-informed here.......the aneurysm is not caused by the valve "not being able to withstand the new higher pressures".
Aneurysm's in the ascending aortic arch and root can be caused by leaking valves, enlarged LV, ect.....
I'm sorry you had an aneurysm develop as well as I did a few years following my RP....mine is more related to having a BAV originally and leaves me a higher potential for aneurysm's.

Take care

Turk

Turk,
I said after the surgery...the pulmomic sure doesnt help having been used to lower pressures and then having it put in the higher pressure aortic site. I had this happen personally, along with aortic regurg. so who's to say which one caused my anuerysm?

I'm sorry to hear this too Bryan. I too, am a fellow rosser and have a 4.4cm aortic root aneursym. Looks like there's a few of us in the 10% group!
All the best,
Chris

Hi surfsparky,

If I remember correctly your aortic root has been dilated for some time now...is that right? Hopefully it will stabilize as that can happen in come cases. Are you having aortic regurgitation due to your aortic root aneursym? After my MRI they rated my regurgitation as mild to moderate. I can't remember if I mentioned this in another thread but I had a consultation with my original surgeon about 2 weeks after my MRI. He said that he felt there was about a 70% chance he could do a valve sparing "David" procedure where he would replace the ascending aorta with a dacron sleeve. He said from the echo and the MRI that it looked like the leaflets on my aortic valve still looked good. I will have another echo in mid November and if they still look good I will be scheduling surgery for most likely early January (unless he wants to do it earlier which would be fine with me).

Hi Bryan,

Yes, my aortic root has been slowly increasing for the last few years. Pre-surgery it was considered mildly dilated at 3.8cm (wishing they dacron sleeved it back then -gotta love hindsight!) and now it is 4.4cm.
Ascending aorta is 3.7cm and only trivial aortic regurgitation. I've been on beta blockers since one year post op but the aortic root has still continued to increase slightly each year.
Thanks for your info...we're a rare breed and it's good to know of others who are travelling a similar road.

Keep us posted with your updates,

Cheers,
Chris

Latest posts

Back