Article on my heart surgery experience - see link

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Allison...thanks so much for sharing your story. You've been through so much in your young life. I was teary reading it. I am 4 weeks post op and can certainly identify with alot of what you went through. I am just beginning to get comfy in bed sometimes. I see my surgeon tomorrow and I pray my echo shows a normal aortic valve and normal aorta. I biggest problem right now is my heart rate is tooooo slow. but I think it is a medication issue. I'll find out. But again, thanks so much for sharing your story. God bless.

Jeri

That was wonderful, Allison. I especially love the photos. The one of you and your daughter is precious. The one of your scar is beautiful and strong, capturing the magnitude of the surgery and your grace and strength in recovery. It is the most beautiful scar picture I've ever seen. You should post it in TOOTS.

Great article Allison. It really struck a cord here. My daughter was 6 months old when I had my valve replaced and I was terrified she'd grow up without me. Her 5th birthday is this weekend! You're sharing gives me strength to face the next surgery - hopefully not too soon. I shared your articles on Facebook so others could understand what it's like. I could never have expressed as well as you how it feels - the dogged tiredness, pain, fear, etc etc. Thank you.

Allison, wonderfully written. Thank you so much for sharing your experience, from a personal level. And thanks for showing your scar, it matches mine.... Twins, lol :) Beautiful job.
Renee

I've had some really positive feedback on the piece, including from readers who have had OHS. I'm really glad the paper wasn't afraid to publish the photograph, which was nicely shot - not at all tacky. And my little girl took the paper to school for Show and Tell today ... don't know what the nine-year-old boys in her class thought :)

LOL!

I agree about the photograph ... VERY well done.

And, your article ... simply awesome. Great read, and I'm glad you shared your story.

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * RT_06.2011_us66+NW USA
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"I think I finally know just what it means" __ Mac Davis __ 'Texas In My Rearview Mirror'

I love your article. I read it to my husband, Derek, last night, while he lay in his hospital bed. He's day 3 post-op.

Thanks so much for sharing!

~Jen

That article should be mandatory reading for all pre ops . Just great Thank u so much. Quite good & wishing a great days in 2012. Whine away. - !!

Perhaps hank could make Allison's article part of " what u need to know". If there even is such a page.

Perhaps hank could make Allison's article part of " what u need to know". If there even is such a page.

Whoops. I hate when I post twice ! I lost that article. Can some re post please ? Thx. Nanc.

I still have some reading to do on your Diary, first off you share the fears I had when I found out I needed AVR and I'm sure most of us here.
Second I read this and thought dejevu:

" He also plans to correct an anomaly in my right coronary artery - it originates in the wrong place in my heart, a rare condition he has never seen in more than 20 years as a cardiac surgeon"

Same thing my cardiologist called mine and showed me on my cath scan how it was different. Mine was replaced with a spare during surgery , or using the surgeons term, he gave me a spare tire meaning the original is still there, the surgeon added another. :thumbup:

I was told he also would not know if the new artery was the main recipient of blood flow, he could not tell unless we did another scan. One of them will eventually die off from lack of blood over time, this will not be a health issue to me.

Last edited:
Allison

Thank you for sharing your story. I am 45 and at three months had surgery to correct coarctation of the aorta with PDA and ASD. And of course I was also born with mitral valve stenosis and alwayes knew it would need to be corrected I just had surgery on 12.22.11 and am recovering. We went the Miniumally invasive way but had monir complications so intubation was done above my left brest. I am having pain this week from totally overdoing it on Tuesday and was smiling while reading your story because I can totally relate to what you went through. Thank you again for sharing.

Hi, Allison, I just read your article which was very fine, indeed. You begin and end with just the right focus. I could not help but notice that except for the fact that I have four little holes below, our surgeons might have been using the same play book. Here in VR we share our experiences but you've shared your's much more widely. Perhaps, more of us should do the same.

I think it is so very important to encourage our new members to focus less on the details and more on the results - the years of good life to follow. We have time for things we always wanted to do. Here is one of mine. Meet Bede who is 12 weeks old today.

Bede-12-Weeks.jpg

Thank you for sharing with us, again, Allison in OZ.

Larry

Latest posts

Back