Arrhythmia

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pegasus

Hello,

my husband has been doing really well since his OHS a little over 1 yr. ago and aside from a short bout of post-op A-fib and A-flutter (in the hospital) he always has been in perfect sinus rythm. He is on no meds.

The past couple weeks he has been way over doing it, unfortunately. Working 7 days a week, long hours and still going to the gym.... Twice he came home, looking very tired, he complained of a stomach ache. I told him to take his BP which was fine - always around 110 / 76. The machine couldn't quite pick up a steady HR. His HR monitor is broken so I took it manual. His HR was still what is considered in the normal range around high 70(usually his HR is in the mid 60s to low 70s) but the rythm wasn't steady although it only lasted for a short time. He lay down for 10 min. and he felt immediately better after rest and rythm was nomral again.

The rhytm was like this: two faster beats, then 7 - 8 normal ones, then a skipped one and then it started again with the two fast beats. It was regular in its irregularity if you know what I mean. It doesn't last long. Is this something to worry about?

He doesn't have another cardio appt. for a couple of months and his GP is on vacation. Cardio would only put a 24 Halter on him, I think, and I am pretty sure it wouldn't show anything. It only last for a short period of time and only comes on when he is really over worked. Otherwise, he eats healthy and exercises and I am talkign to him about cutting back on work hours.

Any input is appreciated!
thank you
astrid

MY "regularly irregular" Heartbeats are usually attributed mostly to PAC's (Premature Atrial Contractions) and sometimes to PVC's (Premature Ventricular Contractions).

These conditions are the "Common Cold" of Cardiology and are considered to be benign (most of the time). You can recognize that by the YAWN that is often seen on the Cardiologist's face after identifying the culprit.

Just to be SAFE however, it would be good to Verify that condition either by having an EKG taken while they are present or having a Holter Monitor prescribed for 24 or 48 hours. Be sure to keep an activity and symptom record while on the monitor.

Hint: Reducing STRESS and other 'triggers' (such as over exertion) goes a long way towards preventing re-occurances. Good Luck with your work-a-holic husband!

Someone (Tobagotwo?) had a good writeup on PAC's and PVC's some time ago. Hopefully you can find it through a SEARCH of the VR.com archives.

'AL Capshaw'

Thank you very much, Al. We will follow up and I will make sure he cuts back on working hours.

BTW, he only turned into a work-a-holic post surgery - he said that he can do anything now since the valve is fixed:rolleyes:

All the best to you
astrid

I agree with what Al Capshaw said, both about having a Holter monitor and the fact that it could be stress related.

By the way, my husband is still having his irregular heartbeats. He finally had a Holter very recently, but his doctor has not yet received the results.

Let's hope it's nothing serious for both hubbies!!

Adrienne, hope your husband will be O.k.! Please let me know if you don't mind.

A while back my husband had an episode with just a few skipped beats (without the two faster ones) and cardio waved it off and said it's nothing. He also found a 24 h Holter monitor not necessary as most likely wouldn't show anything. Every EKG he ever had was normal but we will bring it up again at the next visit. Husband promised to be good and cut back:) .

I would sit in a doctor's waiting room and have the gamut of arrhythmia while waiting. It never failed - they'd take me to a room and hook me up to an EKG and I'd get nothing.

A Holter monitor sounds in order. If he doesn't have anything show up on that, but continues to have problems from time to time, an Event monitor might be in order.

Most of these types of things are benign, just uncomfortable and can cause you to be tired. But it's always best to check it out.

Best wishes.

Thanks Karlynn - didn't know about an event monitor...

Honestly, it only happened about 5 times since surgery and only lasted for a few minutes. Except for feeling tired which isn't a surprise, my husband only knows it's happening when the BP machine can't pick up the pulse. In all cases he had way over done it so the moral of the story is to cut back. Husband didn't seem to be worried at all but I was a bit.

I've also had the "weird" heartbeats....of course EKG and Holter showed nothing.
My heart behaves in those situations!
Then my GP asked me to just describe the timing of the beats....so I went:
Boom.....Boom.....Boom.....Boom.Boom.....Boom.....Boom.....Boom
I was thinking of pauses and/or skipped beats, but he said it sounds very regular with the occasional extra beat thrown in which is common and benign.
He also said that chances are I had this even before surgery and it was just not noticeable.
Best wishes.

Your pulse sounds familiar, Bina:)
You are right, my husband also could have had it before surgery. We never checked his pulse or his BP back then as he was completely asymptomatic. Sometimes I get a bit worried that the A-fib returns - although I know there is only a very small risk. I wished though I had taken it when he had A-fib so I know what it feels like.

Thanks everyone. Now I need to quit worrying before my pulse skips too:rolleyes:

I use a Stethoscope to Listen to my Heartbeat.

That makes it EASY to Count and Hear Irregularities, even the 'soft' ones.

'AL Capshaw'

It never hurts to be safe and have it checked out, but I wouldn't worry too much. I had the exact same thing for several months after my surgery. Cardio said that it had to do with the heart reshaping process and it eventually went away. The stomach ache thing is also familiar. It only lasted 3-4 months for me, but I would always get a really bad stomach ache if I tried to go running. Only running, for some reason. Again, it eventually went away.

Latest posts

Back