Are you happy with your valve selection?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's workin' for me

It's workin' for me

I'm very happy with my valve choice (see my signature). I'm just 6 weeks post-op and I feel terrific.

I'm happy with my valve choice because 1) I only take an aspirin a day, and 2) if percutaneous valve replacement (replacement through the femoral artery -- no OHS) becomes a viable alternative over the next 15 years, my Freestyle device will allow for that option.

Kristine

Kristine,

I'm delighted to see your post and to hear that you are pleased with your choice. As you know, we both have the Freestyle.

One factor in my decision to go tissue instead of mechanical was that at my age (64) I might not need a re-op. I realized, though, that I might find myself in my 80s some day and in need of a new replacement. The thought of a technological advance that might make that possible without OHS was somewhat comforting. However, I wondered if only a "simple" valve replacement would be feasible through such a method -- in short, would a combined valve/root be too large to go that route?

I never did ask about that -- thinking it in the realm of medical futurism in any event. I was wondering if you've seen any report that the Freestyle would be a candidate for percutaneous installation?

Cheers,

I have nothing against my two ATS valves per se, they are quiet and have kept me ticking along (quietly) for the past twelve months, my anniversary is on 30th June. However, if I could go back twelve months I would definitely gone for tissue valves. I hadn't discovered this site and all that 'I knew' was that mechanical were for life with taking warfarin, tissue would require futher OHS when I was about 70 - and I thought that didn't seen like a good ides.

Future possibilities

Future possibilities

Regarding Bob's question about percutaneous valve replacement and the Medtronic Freestyle valve...

While I have not seen any documentation on the topic, my surgeon told me that I'd be a candidate for the percutaneous replacement with the Freestyle. Even though our device includes both the aortic root and valve, my understanding is that the valve alone could be replaced, if and when the need arises. Obviously, this will only be an option when percutaneous valve replacement becomes a viable option at some point in the future.

Sorry for this thread's mini-hijacking...as you can see, BionicBob and I like our Freestyle.

Kristine

13 months out of OHS. Selected bovine valve and am very pleased so far.
Lb, I don't have a problem with animal rights activists who are vegitarian. I do have a problem with animal rights activists who order a double wopper with cheese after a day of protesting. At least you are true to your cause.

Hi everybody,

I opted for a mechanical mainly because of my age. I was 42 at the time and the surgeon said it could last me the rest of my life. I'd already been through one OHS so that sounded good to me. : )

I was grateful that I opted for longevity because when they opened me up they discovered that scar tissue from my first surgery had caused my right ventricle to become stuck underneath my sternum. This made the operation very difficult and the surgical report says that I would be very high risk for a third OHS because the ventricle is still stuck.

So all I'm saying is that I talk very nicely to my lovely little valve because I want it to last. I never want to hear the word surgery again...unless, of course, it's preceded by the word "plastic" and I end up looking like a Hollywood star. : )

I've had my valve seven years and love it. The coumadin is not a major deal at all.

Hope everyone's well.

Cheers,
Michelle

Sometimes I complain about the ticking of my St. Judes AV, but I am happy with it..... No problems with INR, bleeding or really anything else. I sure don't want to go thru the operation again. Hope and expect the mechanical to keep chugging for many years.

I'm happy with my Mosaic porcine valve. If it goes before I do, I'll likely put in a bovine valve or the new, combination porcine/bovine valve, if it is out in the US and proven by then.

Best wishes,

Yes. And I am very happy to be a member of the moo-ing community. :)

My surgeon said that this was the valve he would choose for himself (and he said he was my age). He is hopeful that I will not ever need a replacement for it....that statistics currently rolling in are quite favorable for its longevity. We shall see.

There was a day or two, there, during early recovery (and mine has been ever so easy and textbook like) when I wondered why I had ever signed on for the possibility of another surgery. This whole journey is emotionally and physically exhausting. But that feeling did not last long. My life is about today and each day that I have been given, now, and I am very happy with my choice.

Marguerite

Ah Shucks,
Initially I wasn't going to reply, since the original post was phrased in a manner that basically asked everyone who's had replacement to give an answer. . . and that could add up to many, many replies!

But after the latest testimonials, I'll throw in my own.
Yes, I'm very happy with my bovine valve.:)

I am happy

I am happy

I didn't really get a choice when the Ross procedure was determined to be to risky I was already in hospital with class IV heart failure, all I was then able to choose was tissue or mechanical if it was mechanical it would have been ATS as this is what the surgeon discussed with me before deciding on the Ross. When the Ross was cancelled I lobbied the doctors for a week to get a tissue valve I knew it would be porcine but not which make or model. I finished up with a Medtronic Mosaic porcine valve and am very happy with it, and will be more so if I get the expected ~15 years out of it I will have no complaints. :)

I am very happy with my St. Jude Heart Valve, although it was not my first choice. I chose the tissue valve but my valve was too big so they used the St. Jude. No problems, and feel great!

No Choice Here

No Choice Here

When I had my OHS back in the olden days, there weren't as many options as today. I was told I'd get a mechanical valve, and be on warfarin for life. They said they didn't know the life expectancy of the valve, but estimated between 10 and 25 years. Within 6 months the valve had been recalled! 21 years later, I still have it. I believe the average life of my model of valve is about 12 years. Not very comforting! On the other hand, I've had 21+ really good years! I didn't know my half sister before OHS, or my 8 nieces and nephews, I've fallen in love romantically three times, learned to sail a beach cat, and am starting to grow up!:D LB, Your post about your friend and her family is very touching, and inspiring. I would say to you, get a second opinion. You are lucky not to be in a rush. It may be that by the time you need it, you can have them grow you another valve! I know there is a team in Boston that was doing research with this sort of thing in mind. That was before the President limited the stem cell research though. Best of luck to you all, Brian

BDMc said:
I know there is a team in Boston that was doing research with this sort of thing in mind. That was before the President limited the stem cell research though. Best of luck to you all, Brian
I wouldn't worry about the research. I am sure that stem cell research is very active although very quiet. Same thing for cloning. Once all the laws have changed many companies will be way ahead of the game (assuming they don't get caught in the meantime).

Controversial subject alert!

Controversial subject alert!

BDMc said:
When I had my OHS back in the olden days, there weren't as many options as today. I was told I'd get a mechanical valve, and be on warfarin for life. They said they didn't know the life expectancy of the valve, but estimated between 10 and 25 years. Within 6 months the valve had been recalled! 21 years later, I still have it. I believe the average life of my model of valve is about 12 years. Not very comforting! On the other hand, I've had 21+ really good years! I didn't know my half sister before OHS, or my 8 nieces and nephews, I've fallen in love romantically three times, learned to sail a beach cat, and am starting to grow up!:D LB, Your post about your friend and her family is very touching, and inspiring. I would say to you, get a second opinion. You are lucky not to be in a rush. It may be that by the time you need it, you can have them grow you another valve! I know there is a team in Boston that was doing research with this sort of thing in mind. That was before the President limited the stem cell research though. Best of luck to you all, Brian

If we are going to talk about stem cell research, let be sure the subject is accurately stated. Bush did not limit all stem cell research! He said he would allow FEDERAL funding of ESC research of certain existing lines. There is plenty of funding for ASC research, some of which just recently
enabled the regeneration of heart muscle, as well as over 100 other regenerative therapies for human. There is much private funding of ESC research and pressure to do it- i.e. the South Korean mess! How many therapies are there in use for ESC??.ZERO. This argument goes directly to when does life begin and I don?t think we want to start that debate here!

if you talking about the stem cell research Dr Mayer is doing in Boston (and a few other places) it is still going pretty well, it has nothing to do w/ embryonic cells, last year when i talked to several cardiologists and surgeons about it they said the clinical trials would be in less than 5 years here's a link to alittle bit about it http://www.heartsofpromise.org/
Lyn

Sorry HiJack

Sorry HiJack

Lynlw said:
if you talking about the stem cell research Dr Mayer is doing in Boston (and a few other places) it is still going pretty well, it has nothing to do w/ embryonic cells, last year when i talked to several cardiologists and surgeons about it they said the clinical trials would be in less than 5 years here's a link to alittle bit about it http://www.heartsofpromise.org/
Lyn
Lyn,
My point exactly, while Harvard is working with ESC, the tissue engineered
valve is based on the use of the patient's own adult endothelial precursor cells which are attached to a scaffold. Which the government has funded for years- sadly under funded because there doesn't exist a Hollywood
type child movie star with valve disease that can go before congress and get those BOZOs to increase funding!:mad:

If I say anymore about how I feel about this crock, I might offend the sensitive types here and again the call would go out for my banishment.:rolleyes:

Back