Are you happy with your valve selection?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my story

my story

This is an interesting subject and I have much to say on this topic.

When I was 13 I had an open heart surgery to replace my valve and a few other repairs. The doctors gave my parents the choice of a porcine valve or a mechanical valve. This turned out to be a very bad choice. My parents decided on the porcine valve since they thought that having a mechanical valve and having to be on Coumadin would be worse because of the brusing and blood tests. So, they went with the porcine valve.

About two years after having replaced the valve, the porcine valve started to calcify. This happened because at the time I was still a growing kid. So, I had another open heart surgery to replace the calcifying porcine valve, this time the doctor gave my parents no choice but the mechanical valve, good idea...to this day, which would be almost 12 years now, I 've had my original St Jude Mechanical valve. If I could do it all over again, I would have made my parents choose the mechanical valve. Having a mechanical valve is better than having to go through Open Heart Surgery again.

If I had gotten a porcine valve when I was older, then it may have lasted me a much longer time, but because I was a growing kid, my body rejected it much faster. So, for me the Mechanical valve works and I am happy it has lasted in me this long. I think it just depends on everyones situation.

Some one I have talked with from another heart group mentioned that even though the St Jude valve is supposed to last a 'lifetime' they said that they would normally need to be replaced around every 20 years. Does anyone know if this is true? Obviously, this depends on each persons condition, but is there a estimated lasting time? Is there research to back this up?

each day is a gift....

each day is a gift....

That said....I'm happy with my choice....which my surgeon agreed wholeheartedly( NO pun,,,,though I'm laughing my ass off at that one....)At 43....and still active....and having gone through my reasoning in a somewhat longwinded thread some months back....I chose a tissue....specifically,if my recollection is correct...a St. Judes' Stented Porcine Bioprosthesis.....( possibly treated with anticalcification process??? ) As in my earlier thread...how could I not be happy with it?? LOL...and if I live to see need for a new valve if ever and whenever the need arises.... I'd chose the same all over again. No regrets...never look back... live my life fully and hope to make a difference in the lives of those who for some crazy reason love me. ****And a short note in regards to the vegetarian issue.... be true to yourself.....no matter how that may potentially impact the perceived potential length of your life. Worry not where or where not your path may take you...even if you stumble and fall along the way... far more important is how we choose to walk upon it. Your choices define you...and to deny your own truths in making that choice will only serve to haunt you the rest of your days.
Only you know what is right for you.

I did not have much of a choice. My surgeon said that because of my first surgery (to repair a chest deformity), a third surgery would be very, risky. That left no option but to have a mechanical valve. Last night was one of the worst nights for valve noise I have had since my surgery in March 05. I keep telling myself I it is still better than having to have another surgery later. It took me hours to get to sleep. In addition, my mother in-law is battling breast cancer again. She told me told me last week she would rather have cancer than go through what I did. I told her I would rather have another open heart surgery than go through cancer although I realize that cancer could also happen to me anyway. The bottm line is that although I still do not like the valve noise (after I thougtht I was getting use to it) there are far worse things that could happen. Given a choice, I will keep the valve noise.

Karl

21 year olds

21 year olds

My mitral and aortic St Judes mechanicals were implanted 21 years ago. They have served me well.
Kathleen

It's All Good!!

It's All Good!!

I can't really add much. Like several others on this site, I didn't have a choice - it was a matter of surgery NOW or place an order for a wooden box.

I think it's safe to say that I'm ECSTATIC with my ATS mechanical - I'm still alive and it seems to be functioning just great. Coumadin therapy is an inconvenience at worst - certainly not a problem.

It will be 1 year on July 18 and I still get to see sunsets and hear the rain - little things now mean so much. If valve noise is a consideration, the ATS is VERY quiet. Whatever your choice, hey, you can't go wrong if you can still wake up in the morning and hear a mockingbird.:D

happy happy camper...whatever the choice

happy happy camper...whatever the choice

I am 16 months from surgery and can say that I am very, very happy with my choice. I have a bovine valve. I can also say, that I am happy to be alive and probably would be happy with whatever valve they put in me.
After all the thoughts of death etc that go with this surgery I think that most are happy with whatever valve they receive! Anyone awaiting this surgery should keep this in mine. The whole event does keep life keep your life in perspective.

I have thought about this, and discussed this with my docs. They do not think they'd want a mechanical valve for me and he mentioned bovine as a possibility. As a vegetarian for almost all my life, it was kind of disconcerting to think of an animal part in my body. The thought makes me ill, actually. I have discussed, in brief, for doner parts, if possible. I guess my philosophy is that humans have a voice in what they would like to do with thier bodies when they die, and animals don't. I know I will be possibly slammed for my ideals, but I'll take that risk. It won't be the first time I'd be picked on for my vegetarian lifestyle ( mostly in a fun way, but it does get tiring all the time to be made to feel like a freak because I don't partake in the All American Diet...;) ) *

And here I was just worried about involuntary oinking.

I went with mechanical. 16 years later, I'm still happy with the choice. I was under the impression that choosing mechanical would mean only having it done once, but I was in my late teens when I had it done. I suppose once every 30 years wouldn't be as bad as once every 10 - 15 years.

On-X valve - a good way to go

On-X valve - a good way to go

My first thoughts upon awakening from sugery were that A)man am I glad this is over, and B)I'm glad I chose a mechanical 'cause i'm not up for doing this again.

of course, as with childbirth, the unpleasantness of surgery will fade with time. And who knows, they might be able to slip a second porcine valve into you in 15 years without OHS.

Dr. Laks is the mucho grande big wig at UCLA and he talked me into going with the On-X for several reasons, one of which is that you might not need to take coumadin forever, maybe just a few years.

at any rate, so far COUMAIN ain't a big deal. Just another pill to take.

Good luck!

Temp,

Sounds like you made a good choice for yourself. Just run with it, and never look back. Speaking of which, I gather from your post in another thread you're considering cardiac rehab. From my experience, I recommend it highly. But first, of course, just gradually increased walking, plenty of rest, and breathing, with work on that spirometer.

All best wishes....

So far so good with On-X valve put in 17 days ago. It's supposed to last 100-200 years. I bought the extended warranty. So far, coumadin is no big deal.

good luck.

Happy with Selection!

Happy with Selection!

Hi,

I just had my second anniv. with my tissue (aortic) valve and I could not be happier with my decision. My doc seggested the mech. but I did not want to deal with Coumadin. The way I shave, I would have to go the hospital every morning and that would not be fun. I am not on any drugs, I do not hear any sounds coming from my chest and if I need to go through the operation again in 10 -15 years, so be it!. I am 56 years old and I am hoping to retire soon and the way I feel at this point in time, I will enjoy my retirement!

Obviously, if the choice is yours to make, then I think you get more votes than the doctor. It is your chest they are opening and you have to deal with the day to day effects of the operation.........not the doctor!

That's one man's opinion!

Mark

mjd414 said:
Hi,
My doc suggested the mech. but I did not want to deal with Coumadin. The way I shave, I would have to go the hospital every morning and that would not be fun. Mark

Mark, I'm glad you're happy with your choice :) and this is not a criticism of it. I just want to point out that your statement about shaving, while humorous, isn't true and I don't want anyone reading this thread who is making a choice to think that it is. Cutting yourself with a razor while shaving, isn't going to send you to the hospital, it probably won't even rate a band-aid. Unfortunately the Razor Myth, along with many others, is one that is still perpetuated by some in the medical field.

mjd414 said:
Hi,
The way I shave, I would have to go the hospital every morning and that would not be fun.
Mark
This is no way true nor is it fact. I use a blade and cut myself every single time I shave and have yet to cause a bleed like your talking about. It just doesn't happen. It proves that people listen to disinformation and never find the facts out for themselves. I agree with Karlynn. Please remove that statement from the post.

ClickTicker said:
I went with mechanical. 16 years later, I'm still happy with the choice. I was under the impression that choosing mechanical would mean only having it done once, but I was in my late teens when I had it done. I suppose once every 30 years wouldn't be as bad as once every 10 - 15 years.
I think you'll find that your set for life so long as no vegetation grows or the sewing cuff doesn't leak too badly. ;)

mjd414 said:
Hi,

I just had my second anniv. with my tissue (aortic) valve and I could not be happier with my decision. My doc seggested the mech. but I did not want to deal with Coumadin. The way I shave, I would have to go the hospital every morning and that would not be fun. I am not on any drugs, I do not hear any sounds coming from my chest and if I need to go through the operation again in 10 -15 years, so be it!. I am 56 years old and I am hoping to retire soon and the way I feel at this point in time, I will enjoy my retirement!

Obviously, if the choice is yours to make, then I think you get more votes than the doctor. It is your chest they are opening and you have to deal with the day to day effects of the operation.........not the doctor!

That's one man's opinion!

Mark

Hi Mark,
Long time, no hear from!
I said a few months ago, that I wondered where you disappeared to. I remember talking to you on Chat the Sunday before your surgery, and how scared you were. Then by the next Sunday you were at home and talking to everyone on Chat again!
Glad you dropped back in, and don't be a stranger!
Mary

I am very happy with the results of my Ross Procedure. But I am also very lucky to have been an ideal candidate.
I guess the "choice" is more a matter of your heart's condidtion and your age at the time of surgery. Chosing the option that will give you the least complications (lowest chance of re-op) and the greatest quality of life should be based on your condition.

Latest posts

Back