Are Special Shoes Required Post Surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braveheart

Preparing myself for the big day, I have been going over a lot of threads of members who have already had their surgery. A couple of times, swelling of the feet was mentioned.

Years ago, I had a operation on the tendons of my toes. I was told that my feet would be swollen for some time. Before the surgery I went out and bought myself a pair of men's athletic shoes, which are wider than women's, with velcro closings. They really saved my life.

I wore those shoes for months. By the time that I was ready for regular shoes, the only thing that I could get into were a pair of "old lady" sandals, in an XW width.

What has been your experience, after surgery, with swollen feet? Were you able to wear your regular shoes right away? Do I need to buy special shoes in anticipation?

I had no problem with my shoes post op, went home with the pair I wore to the hospital. Pants? Well that is another matter as I had retained a lot of fluid, but that did not seem to impact my feet.

Hmm. The only shoe requirement I knew of was "non-slip" for the hospital. So I just had flip-flops, really.
I didn't have any problems with swelling, luckily enough, but I'm sure some folks on here will pipe up regarding this.

Melissa

Regular shoes were fine for me: I wore the same things when I left that I worn when I came in. When we got back to NC I think it helped in recovery to get fully dressed every day (even though I only went for walks). Shoe size was never an issue- but then, I usually wear comfort-type sneakers :D

Braveheart:

Shoes, no. Compression stockings, most likely yes, to prevent/guard against clots in your legs, I believe. If you need the compression stockings, you'll get them in the hospital.

The shoes you will be wearing may feel different simply cause you are walking a new life my friend :)

No shoe req from my experience.

My advice is to take those velcro shoes! I had some that I had to tie and they would not let me alone until I could tie those things by myself. I had my wife bring my slip ons in to get out of that situation.

Excellent question! --- I don't remember getting or wearing any special shoes. I didn't have any major swelling. But Ross' suggestion about velcro sounds like a good one. Reaching down to tie shoes could be problematic for a while.

There was one hospitalization in which Joe had swelling of his feet which was so bad that I had to have some extra wide shoes overnighted and I had to buy some diabetic socks for him because they are much more stretchy. The hospital slippers would not fit, nor would his regular socks. It was not a surgical hospitalization, but sometimes after valve surgery you can get a little swelling and fluid retention.

I think the rapid release of most patients after surgery is probably in a time frame where foot swelling would not be a problem. However, there are some who continue to have fluid problems for a while after surgery at home.

You might want to invest in a cheap pair of wide sneakers and a pair of extra stretchy socks, just in case. Because you have had surgery on your feet in the past, it just might give any extra fluid a good place to hang out for a while.

I may be guilty one--I mentioned it in a post to someone recently. I knew to have loose clothes to go home because of surgery in general, but couldn't get my regular shoes on then or for several days because of fluid--just used slippers. It stuck in my mind because it was February.

Try Crocs, they are great for just slipping on and you can do your walking in them too. Because it's hard to bend down and tie up shoes post op, Crocs are the perfect alternative.

Bridgette:)

My advice is to take those velcro shoes!

Ross- Those shoes are way long gone. What I might do is pick up a cheap pair of men's slip on canvas sneakers.........just in case.

I would say, "no" to special shoes. Because OHS is not done "outpatient" yet (har har) I think you will recognize if your feet have swollen and require special shoes, you will have time to line some up. I liked those non-slip socks they give you at the hospital. I am starting a collection of them! (Not good in the rain, though, when you go the the vehicle taking you home.)

:D

Ross- Those shoes are way long gone. What I might do is pick up a cheap pair of men's slip on canvas sneakers.........just in case.

Go to Kmart or Walmart and buy an oversized pair of anything that you can slip on. Cheap ones at that. I could have killed physical therapy for making me tie my damn shoes.

I didn't get the swelling this time around, BUT, I did get pressure sores on both heels, from the long surgery, and had to wear backless shoes for many weeks until the sores were almost gone. That made walking very far a challenge. Finally, I just put on my running shoes with good socks and it was okay.

I didn't have any problems with my stockings/socks/ shoes but I did wear slip on open back shoes to the hospital just in case. I like slip on mule type shoes and they were great for early days of recovery. I always dressed each day from first home from all my surgeries and not having to tie shoes or reach down to get shoes on was wonderful. I got quality ones so they'd be comfortable for me to do my walking without having to change into sneakers for the first outdoor walks.

I like slip on mule type shoes and they were great for early days of recovery. I always dressed each day from first home from all my surgeries and not having to tie shoes or reach down to get shoes on was wonderful. I got quality ones so they'd be comfortable for me to do my walking without having to change into sneakers for the first outdoor walks.

I couldn't bend over to put on shoes, so I wore slip-ons, too. In fact, I had problems bending over enough to pull on blue jeans... Wore slip-on shorts and slacks.

I didn't get the swelling this time around, BUT, I did get pressure sores on both heels, from the long surgery, and had to wear backless shoes for many weeks until the sores were almost gone. That made walking very far a challenge. Finally, I just put on my running shoes with good socks and it was okay.

I was starting to think that I was the only one who had those terrible pressure sores. Both heels.
Too much time lying flat out on a hard hospital mattress.....Anyway, I was glad to have nice open back slippers.
At home to walk outside it was getting cold, so I ordered on-line some of those "granny" style short boots with the zipper up the front. They were lightweight and simple.

Speaking about pressure sores on your heels. That is really bad. The hospital should be up on things like that.

There are foam heel guards that every hospital has available for that situation. Also available are foam mattress or blow up mattress tops which they can add to your bed, if you think you are getting soreness which could develop into a pressure sore.

These are things you should ask about and don't be shy about it.

I would wear something easy to get on like crocs that have a little bit of room in them. My feet were swollen when I left the hospital and I couldn't bend to tie my shoes.

Latest posts

Back