Appointment...at last! For Noel

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noel

Well, we have an appointment with Dr. McGiffin for November 3rd at 12:30 PM. That is about all that has gone well....today. Frustration is setting in. He needs records from the surgeon and the cardio in Birmingham plus our cardio here...I am waiting for a call back from the cardiologist there, ours is closed for the week, and the surgeon, Tripathi, is no longer with the group he was with...I learned that on calling...and had to leave my number there also. I am hoping Noel's records from February will still be there and they will be willing to send them to Dr. McGiffin.
I did find that the person who called me from Dr. McGiffin's office was very caring and sympathetic and did not seem to feel a need to rush me and I am sure she could hear the fear in my voice. She was very reassuring. Anyway, now we have two weeks of waiting for the appointment...and trying to round up all the records.
Sorry, I should have told everyone my name is Robbie....I probably should have registered in like that since Noel does not do computers. :rolleyes:

His SURGICAL records should be on file at the HOSPITAL so even if the Surgeon is no longer around, the Hospital should be able to send a copy of their records. Given that TIME is an issue, you might want to call the Records Department at the Hospital and ask if you could PICK UP a copy of the records (they may charge for this, or may not since you are taking them to another Doctor). Alternatively, ask if they could FAX a copy of his surgical records to Dr. McGiffin's office. (Did you get his FAX number?)

Re: Dr. McGiffin's Staff: Isn't it interesting how Good People attract other Good People?

'AL Capshaw'

Great news, Robbie. Now you just have to get the records- all good advice from Al, compose yourselves and your questions and you will be on your way.
Best Wishes,
Phyllis

I agree w/ calling the medical records at the hospital, and wanted to add with hippa, you actually Noel will have to fill out hippa forms to have any records released anywhere. So beofre you call, figure out the easiest way for you to get the forms, do you have a fax machine at home or work? also be sure Noel fills out a copy of the hippa form stating YOU can have access to all his records info, for both the old docs and the new surgeon

Lynlw said:
I agree w/ calling the medical records at the hospital, and wanted to add with hippa, you actually Noel will have to fill out hippa forms to have any records released anywhere. So beofre you call, figure out the easiest way for you to get the forms, do you have a fax machine at home or work? also be sure Noel fills out a copy of the hippa form stating YOU can have access to all his records info, for both the old docs and the new surgeon
Okay, now what is "hippa"? And no we do not have a fax at home and there is no work...we are both retired. Yes, I got Dr. McGiffin's fax number.

I called Nancy at Dr. McGiffin's office...did learn what the HIPPA was...now that I understand about that...she said we'd just have to wait for call backs and if they were not forthcoming..then Dr. Varquez should have copies of everything and of course she is closed all week...and they would just have to make do with what ever we can get. I did call the hospital...got transferred to the Relief Clerk (or could it have been Release Clerk?)...and of course...got a voice mail where I left another message. I have left so many messages that I am having trouble keeping track even though I am keeping notes. :(

Hey Robbie!
I go to my appt. on November 3rd too! I hope we both get good news, or at least better than what we're expecting!:eek: :p

I think it was the release clerk, so hopefully they will call you back and get the release info to you.

You aren't really that rushed; if worse comes to worse, Dr.Varquez's office should fax his records directly to Dr. McGiffin's.

Mary said:
Hey Robbie!
I go to my appt. on November 3rd too! I hope we both get good news, or at least better than what we're expecting!:eek: :p

I think it was the release clerk, so hopefully they will call you back and get the release info to you.

You aren't really that rushed; if worse comes to worse, Dr.Varquez's office should fax his records directly to Dr. McGiffin's.

Yes, Mary, I am praying for good news for us all. I am assuming Dr. McGiffin will do the echo that same day. He is not doing the TEE. That is another question I will ask....at what point do they decide that kind is needed.
Dr. Varquez...we do not know why SHE didn't fax the records...only wrote a letter...maybe because Noel had not signed a release form? They should have asked him to sign that when he went in and requested the referral. :(

I'm sorry i didn't get back to you sooner, but glad you got some things accomplished and learned about HIPPA. it is a pain in the butt, and i never usderstand why they don't have you fill them out when you are there.

I never got one call back from all the messages I had to leave yesterday...but I will not fret about it any longer. Next Monday when Dr. Varquez office opens, we shall be there and fill out whatever forms are needed and hope she can track down enough records for us. Surely she has everything from the surgeon. If not then we head to Birmingham and that hospital...which has also sold and under another name....and see what we can get.Today is another day and we thinking positive.

Latest posts

Back