Anyone with these symptoms?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twinmaker

On Saturday morning, I was sitting in my lazy boy checking my e-mail messages and talking with my husband. I had been up for about three hours and had already had breakfast. Out of nowhere, in the middle of a sentence, the room suddenly started spinning. I couldn't get up and felt like I was being pulled to the left as I sat there. I became very nauseated, started to sweat, and had a horrible pain in my forehead. My husband jumped up to call 911 and of course I told him to stop and wait a minute. He objected but didn't call. Within another minute, it was over. I layed down and slept for about three hours and have felt fine since Saturday. I did call the cardiologist today just to report what happened but haven't heard back from them. Of course, the first thing that comes to mind is a mini stroke but is that possible with being on Coumadin? I did check my INR Sat. after this episode and it was 2.6 so within my range of 2.5 and 3.5. Any thoughts? LINDA

I know that Nancy has said that Joe had many TIA's, and he was on coumadin. I also believe Arlyss reported the same thing with her husband.

I haven't had any TIA's since my replacement, but what you describe is a more pronounced version of what I've felt when I was having one. I also talked my husband out of taking me in to the emergency room, but I hope I've learned better since then.

If you experience this again, I hope you don't hesitate to get someplace and have it checked out thoroughly. I don't think you can count on the coumadin to completely protect you.

Mary

Yes, Joe had many, many TIAs. They can be caused by plaques, tiny blood clots, or other debris that decides to go on a trip through your blood system. Your symptoms sound very much like some of his.

Because not every one is caused by blood clots, Coumadin may or may not help with this condition.

They clear in a few minutes to an hour or so.

That being said, I still think you should have gone to the ER. It could have been an omen of an upcoming stroke, and it still could. You never know. In addition there is some medical evidence that these can cause tiny areas of damage where they lodge. Over time with too many of them, damage can accumulate. Joe even had a couple in his spleen. So, it isn't always the brain that gets hit.

Joe did have an evaluation with a neurologist and was put on Plavix for a while.

I also want to caution you about having any of these manifest themselves in an eye. Joe had several that did that. They always cleared up. So he thought when one happened, that it was the same old, same old, and didn't go to the ER. As it turned out, it wasn't a TIA, it was a retinal occlusion in his eye, and it caused permanent blindness in that eye.

His eye doctor was dismayed, he told Joe that had he gone to the ER within 3 hours of it happening, there was a possibility that sight might have been restored to that eye.

So, it is always better to have those kinds of symptoms checked out, not convenient, but important to do.

You don't want to say later, "If only---"

Now, please call your doctor and relate what happened.

Yep, it did happen to me - minus the feeling of being pulled to the left. Once while I was in a store......and we did go to the ER and had a CT done of my head. A few days after (I think) I too was sitting in the recliner and on the phone, then all of the sudden BOOM, barely could keep up with the conversation.
Consensuses is I was dehydrated - it hasn't happened since. Recently I had an ultra sound done in my neck to check out the arteries, which were clear.
The doc told me if it happening to take my pulse. "Which can be difficult", I explained cause to a point you don't know which end is up.

If it does happen again, try to take your pulse and record how long it lasted and what you ate 2 hours before.
Just passing on what the doc told me.
Good Luck

Whenever I get any 'visual' effects I chew either Half or a Full (325mg) Aspirin 'just in case' with my Cardio's approval.

That said, a "spinning room" (or You Spinning") can be a symptom of an Inner Ear issue. You may have had a tiny 'crystal' land on a 'sensitive spot'. Inner Ear and balance issues can cause extreme dizzyness, sensations of spinning, Nausea, vomiting, etc. These symptoms tend to 'linger' and take a while to go away however.

You may want to consider being examined by an Otolaryngologist (sp?) (a.k.a. Ear, Nose, Throat Doctor). Beware the 'blow in the ear' test. I've Never been so Sick!

'AL C'

Al, the "otolith" problem you describe is usually positional vertigo. It would fit Linda's description better if she had just sat up or bent over. I had a lovely 38 days of that before it cleared up about three weeks ago. :eek: I was just about to go to an ENT doctor to try the "Epley maneuver" when it went away.

This sounds more TIA-related or simply random vertigo. I've had a few instances like Linda with absolutely no discernible cause (was tested for epilepsy, brain tumors, MS-related lesions, etc.) and I've never had surgery. My mom has had longer bouts of vertigo (lasting days); most were relatively benign but one time it was a TIA at the tender age of 59. She attributed that to HRT. Fortunately it's 14 years later and she's just fine, other than having to take Coumadin.

Michele

Twinmaker,
I have had similar symptoms myself. One time I was walking to my office through the parking lot at work and boom out of nowhere, it was like I was being pulled to my right as I was walking. Everything was spinning, I too got nauseated. I just had to stand there and keep from falling over because there were no cars there yet to lean on. I ended up getting a mild headache. But I know what I have-they are basilar type migraines. Sometimes, they are called migraine variants or complicated migraines. They mimic strokes or TIA symptoms and are very scary. They can occur with or without the headache. Sometimes, I get the visual aura with these.
One time, before I was diagnosed by a neurologist, I thought for sure I was having a TIA. I was in a store, everything was spinning, it was as if I wasn't even there. or in a dream. It eased up. Then I stupidly drove home. My arm kept falling off my steering wheel. I was weak on one side. I ended up in the ER thinking I had had a TIA. They checked my INR-it was in range. That was the first time I had heard the word complicated migraine.
Sometimes when it happens, my mouth and tongue go numb. I get severe confusion and forget how to do ordinary things. Sometimes, I even slur my speech or forget simple words. My neurologist prescribed Topomax, which until recently worked great for me. I used it for three years without any problem. Recently, I developed a sensitivity to it when my doctor increased my dose after the vertigo incident in the parking lot. I had to get off of it because it caused severe confusion, to the point where I couldn't even function. I even ended up in the ER with Dr's ruling out a cerebral aneurysm due to my symptoms. I'm much better now. I've only had one spell of the severe confusion since off of the Topomax.
You might mention to your doctor about the possibility of a basilar type migraine. I don't mean to scare you, but with this type of migraine, you are a a higher risk of a stroke, even though you might be on Coumadin. I would check into the possibility. I hope you find out what it is soon. I know how scary it can be.

I did hear back from my cardiologist's nurse today. Called their office on Monday but my doctor is only in two days a week. Anyway, she said she told him everything that I said and he isn't too worried since it only lasted a minute or so and hasn't returned. He does want to do an interrogation of my pacemaker/defibrillator next week. He said if it happens again to call them and they would have an carotid artery ultrasound done. Does this sound reasonable, or should I ask to have the ultrasound done now? Thanks, Susan for all your information. I'll mention it to the doctor. LINDA

Latest posts

Back