Anyone hear this?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nancym

I had OHS a month ago at the Cleveland Clinic. The day before, I met with my surgeon who, upon seeing that both my aortic and mitral valves were extremely calcified, asked me if I drank a lot of milk. When I answered that I don't drink any milk, he asked if I took calcium supplements. Because of osteoporosis, I have been taking 1500 mg daily for several years. Although the surgeon didn't come out and say it, I got the impression that he felt that the supplements might be in some way to blame for the calcified valves. Has anyone ever heard anything like this? Now I'm sort of reluctant to take my calcium, but I know I need it. I'd be interested to see if any of you have any information about it.

Hi Nancy,

No, I've never heard that calcium could create calcification on your valves & that is pretty disturbing to hear if indeed it is so. I take 1500 mg of calcium a day too because I have osteoporosis in my hips. I have massive scar tissue in and around my mechanical mitral valve which would make a 4th OHS to replace it very risky.

I too would be interested if anyone else has heard of this.

I remember this being brought up in a thread a while ago...I think that the general consensus was that taking calcium didn't cause this to happen, but I could be wrong.

Kim

My husband had kidney stones he drinks lots of milk. Doctors have told him that some toy with the idea that high intake of calcium may cause kidney stones however our bodies produce calcium and like other medical conditions example I have lupus, our bodies can be our worst enemy and we produce too much calcium. Calcium taken orally is very hard to absorb. That is why some people who dont have a high calcium diet can still have the same problems and not all people that do take in a high calcium diet my never have a problem... probably a gene coded incorrectly, or inversion of genes due to radiation exposure... just an example....

just something to add to thread.

God bless
cindy

first, most of these medical terms, like calcification on a valve, were used years ago, before the actual processes and stuff were known. I have osteoporosis, and am the opposite of a cow, I live on milk and cheese ! The problem is that the body, somehow, does not absorb enough calcium. Oh, and yeah, I have very soft teeth, always needing a "small filling" somewhere!

I also believe (from what I have read here) that the "calcifications" referred to on valves has actually nothing to do with calcium, but is, if memory serves me rightly, a substance called "apatite" - not sure about the spelling. I don't have a heap of time right now, but I am sure a search here or on your favourite medical site might throw more light on the whole subject.

I think that calcification can be caused by phosphate,magnesium or
calcium salts that get deposited on tissue and ends up hardening it. The real
problem seems to be with the metabolism of calcium,like if it remains in the
blood and doesnt enter the cells or become absorbed as it should.But I
know there is alot more to it than that.
I asked 2 doctors about taking calcium and vit D;one said it was ok the
other said not to risk it or to take smaller amounts. It was the cardio who
said it should be ok...still I hesitate and I only take about 500mg with vitD
since this helps it to be absorbed. I also have a good amount in my diet.

I have also wondered what role hypothyroidism can play in this since one
of the thyroid hormones(calcitonin) is responsible for the amount of
calcium in the blood and whether our body needs more or has too much.
I,among a few others here have a slow thyroid,,,just a thought.
Dina:)

A young resident from France who was helping my surgeon on one of my follow-up visits to the "Valve Clinic" mentioned my calcium supplements causing calcium deposits, but then when the surgeon came in and spoke to me, I asked him, and he said not to worry and basically that it does not cause calcium deposits.

Since I started taking calcium before osteoperosis hits me, you got me interested in looking this up. For now, I found:

QUOTE:

Definition
Calcification is a process in which a mineral called calcium builds up in body tissue, causing the tissue to harden. This can be a normal or abnormal process.

Information
Ninety-nine percent (99%) of calcium entering the body is deposited in bones and teeth. The remaining 1% of calcium is dissolved in the blood .

When a disorder affects the balance between calcium and other minerals or chemicals in the body , calcium can be deposited in other parts of the body, such as arteries, kidneys, lungs, and brain . Calcium deposits in these parts of the body can cause problems with how these blood vessels and organs work. Calcifications can usually be seen on x-ray films .

See also: Mineral metabolism disorders
End of Quote

If you want to read more: http://www.righthealth.com/Health/Valve_Calcification/-od-definition_adam_1%252F0023211-s

Dina: hypothyroidism also plays a role. You are right. I will look up the article and paste it.

I shall look for more and will paste them.

:)

I have been dx'd with hyperparathryoidism.....over active parathryoid....this was dx'd after a blood test where my level of calcium in the blood is too high. I was advised to have surgery to remove one or more of the parathryoid glands. I have not had the surgery. At the time of the dx (and since) the endocronologist told me to go easy on the milk, cut out caffine and talke no calcium supplement. He prescribed Actonel. I now take the generic for Boniva as I have no insurance $$$ . I only have the "leaky" valve, I was concerned that I may have calicification....none dx'd yet. I have kidney stones quite frequently, but pass them with minimal problems. I did not read the site provided above...headed there now.

My late Mom was suffering with osteoporosis and was prescribed calcium supplements....she ended up with Kidney stones.
I don't know if that was the cause ......

I have read more than once that paradoxically, taking calcium actually helps with not getting kidney stones. Don't ask me why!

It would be helpful to future readers and those who Search for information on Valve Calcification to include those words in the Thread TITLE.

(Attention ROSS)

Some thoughts on calcium...

There has never been a link proven between calcium intake and valve calcification, although it has been studied. It's so unproven that tissue valve companies aren't allowed to discuss reduction of calcium by the patient in relation to the longevity of their valves, or even to discourage the taking of calcium supplements.

The use of calcium supplements doesn't really seem to affect the speed or likelihood of valve calcifications. We all know people who are dairy fiends and who take calcium supplements who have no calcification issues at all throughout their lives. Especially for women, reduction of calcium can lead to bone loss and other issues that overshadow any imagined benefit from the apparenty logical (but also apparently faulty) assumption that it might affect valve deposits.

The mineral present on valves is called apatite. It's largely made up of calcium and a mix of other minerals, such as phosphorus and magnesium, and is the same mineral from which bones and teeth are formed. Different concentrations of the trace minerals give it slightly different properties, which turn out to be useful for different bodily purposes. The functions in the body that create the different types of boney materials are probably involved in the creation of valvular apatite deposits, or at least in predisposing the elements of the deposits to coalesce on the valve surface.

Despite numerous attempts to link them, valve "calcification" isn't formed like or associated with the common types of hardened, "calcified" arteries (a form of arteriosclerosis). Nor is it associated with or physically similar to the types of plaques (atheromas) found in atherosclerosis (the most common cause of strokes, and the reason you watch your cholesterol and CRP), although some similar calcification may occur at the base of older plaques over time.

In fact, many valve patients (particularly bicuspid) are found to have otherwise very clean arteries. That doesn't mean that they are mutually exclusive. It just means that one doesn't imply the other, and further diminishes the likelihood of linking them for treatment purposes. Attempts to control valvular deposits with anticholesteral medications (statins) that help to control fatty, atheromic deposits in arteries have been stunning failures, even further separating the two.

The triggers of growth of apatite on a valve seem to be surface chemicals on the valve that are associated with damaged tissue, and to which calcium and other minerals in the blood are attracted. The type of apatite formed is similar to disorganized bone material, and is not unlike the protective bony layer sometimes found coating foreign items trapped inside the body.

The speed of valve apatite growth seems to relate strongly to age, and is comparable to the speed at which normal bone grows and repairs as it relates to the person's age. Once the process has begun, young people tend to calcify their valves (or tissue replacement valves) quite rapidly. As they age and their ability to grow and repair their bones decreases, so does the speed at which their valves or replacement tissue valves will calcify. A bovine valve that may last only five years in a 20-to-30-year-old patient has an average lifespan of over twenty years in those of retirement age.

While age is a generic factor, it's partly because of its effect on the following: people's individual rates of calcium metabolism, the concentrations of bondable minerals in their blood, metabolic inclination (or susceptibility) to transition minerals into bone, and general chemical reactivity (whether it be irritability/inflammation or immune response, which are both sides of the same coin).

The role of the immune system is not understood, but there are some small amounts of immune system markers that tend to appear at the site of apatitic valve calcifications. Whether these are what enable the valve's surface chemicals to attract minerals from the blood or if they are simply there because they are ubiquitous within the body is uncertain.

The upshot is that it most seems to do with the way you metabolize calcium and the general chemical reactivity of your body's immune system. It's how your body is set up to use the calcium, not how much of it is available.

Best wishes,

Latest posts

Back