Anyone ever feel "unbalanced" at times?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warfarinking

I tend to sometimes feel "unbalanced" or maybe a dizzy feeling? It comes in and out throughout the day, but some days I feel fine. I've had this feeling for around 2 months now but never really thought much of it.

Has anyone ever felt this way?

I'm taking 25mg of Metropolol and 6mg Warfarin

by the way, I had a mechanical valve implanted on July 12th of 2010.

Only when I get up fast from bending over (too long). That still bugs me, 2.5 months post-op (and on almost exactly your same meds).

Pre-op, I was expecting to feel paranoid about walking in tight spots where I might trip or lose my balance (and fall and bust my sternum!), but I was uncannily confident, as if my balance was BETTER than before. Can't believe that it actually was, but that was my impression.

Do you have a blood pressure monitor at home? It's a good idea to have one. I would check the blood pressure. Could be a bp drop. My meds keep my bp deliberately low so I'm familiar with the feeling. Of course, some folks think I'm just plain unbalanced.:p

Another possibility is an inner-ear balance problem. I've dealt with some of that over the years too. For me, just knowing about it has helped me compensate and not stress out about it.

For sure, ask your doctor about it -- it could be due to any number of things, some heart-related, some not.

Might actually be something with my right ear it's been stuffy and everytime I like yawn deeply I can hear like some type of static/beep also when I lay my right ear on my pillow it will start beeping making me change positions

i felt great after surgery. then 3 months out i started feeling dizzy/off balanced all day long no rhyme or reason. i had tons of tests done. nothing. i had all of that inner ear testing as well. i was so mad, discouraged, thought the surgery ruined my life! i wasnt on any medications except for aspirin so i knew that wasn't causing it. i thought i would have to live like that forever!

then as a last resort i went to the eye doctor. i needed glasses for astigmatism. i still was reluctant to get the prescription filled because i doubted that could have been the cause. after wearing the glasses for one day, my off balanced, tipsy feeling was GONE and has not returned!

maybe your vision?

Thanks for the reply Malibu! That's a bit weird because I wear glasses! And now that I think about it I think the whole dizzy feeling started coming in when I got my new ones with a new prescription! Hmm I'm going to have to check that out, also I think the metropolol that I take can make you dizzy.

Yeh Bob, I have a feeling I'm getting some of those symptoms. At some points in the day I've felt like almost feinting and it's terrible when I'm at school. If I have the doctor take me off Metropolol what alternatives would he suggest? I've also experienced short term memory loss! I will be looking for something then totally forget what I was looking for lol

Metoprolol is a beta blocker, and there are a good number of other bb's and options.

http://heart-disease.emedtv.com/metoprolol/metoprolol-alternatives.html

The beta blocker I now take is carvedilol. (To be honest, I don't remember why he switched me to this one. I wasn't having any problem with metoprolol. May have had something to do with the overall mix of meds I take.) There are a number of other beta blockers.

Of course, your doctor needs to work with you to find what's best for you.

Hey all just wanted to up date you guys on whats going on, I decided to not take the half tablet of metropolol in the morning to see if the dizziness would go away and all day I couldn't of felt better! I even went hiking. On the other hand, I decided to take the second half tablet at night and all the symptoms seem to have came back! I decided to make an appointment with my primary Dr and im hoping he can prescribe me an alternative for metropolol

You definitely need to see your doctor. Not taking your medication is not a good idea! You still need the medication despite the side effects. I had problems with metropolol, visual distortions, headaches & an unbalanced feeling. These all cleared up after it was changed. Half the battle that doctors have is finding which specific drug of a certain type is right for you & fits with any other medication you take ( including over the counter stuff).
Having taken a mix of meds for high blood pressure for years, I can tell you it took about 9 months to originally get me a "perfect set" which didn't give me any side effects & now after my surgery as soon as something doesn't feel right I'm straight down to see my doctor & it gets sorted.

Tony

Latest posts

Back