Anyone Else Have a Non-Clicking Mech Valve?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cozycat

Live in Mojave, Ca., "first private spaceport in t
I have a question for those who have mechanical aortic valves. Does your valve click/tick or does anyone else have one that makes no noise. From the time I woke from surgery to what is now over nine months, I have heard not one sound from my St. Judes valve. It's not like it made noise at first and I just got used to it...it just doesn't make noise. Since so many people on here comment about their clicking valves, wonder why mine should be different. I know, I know....I should be glad (and I am) but am also curious.

Midge

I still hear mine occasionally - mostly in the shower, but it's also in the Mitrial position, maybe that makes a difference to - dunno?

Mine's quite loud at times - especially in confined spaces like a car or the bathroom - it doesn't bother me though - I actually like to hear it ticking!! It's in the mitral position also - perhaps that does make a difference??

Well, you are posting so we know it’s working:p ... I have never “heard” the ticking ... others have ... I sometimes “feel” it, sort of like a thud and this only happens in certain positions ... now, I have some high pitch tone deafness and that might explain my situation, but no, I have never heard a “ticking” and I’m grateful .....

I seldom hear mine -- only in a tiled room, such as a bathroom.

Recently, I saw a friend who had AVR on 6/24 (she & I can celebrate our valviversaries together!!!). Toni got a St. Jude mechanical and I asked her about the noise. She said it wasn't noisy, and that she rather liked the sound, called it "soothing."

OK I know I have complained before....but my clicking is horrible. I wish I had it to do over....would NOT choose a mech valve JUST for this reason!

Mileena

I can hear my ticking when it is real quiet. And also I can hear it more when my inr is low. Don't know if there is any corellation with that just what I have noticed. It doesn't bother me at all though because I know that it working.

I have both aortic and mitral mechanical valves. They are pretty loud. Also, as a previous poster commented, I can feel them thumping (sometimes quite strongly) as well as hear them.

What I find disconcering is how variable the sound is. They'll go from clicking to snapping for a while, then they'll make more of a popping sound, then who knows. All with me still in the same position. It seems random.

Also, please don't call me crazy, but I often hear my valves as a distinct chirping sound emanating from the back of my neck. Anybody else experience that?

I have mitral valve replacement, and I often hear it ticking even though it's supposed to be one of the quiet ones (On-x). I'm used to it though.
When I was hospital the other day with AF, the nurse commented that he could hear it from across the room, and we laughed, LOL (you need something to laugh about when you're in there).
And, Lucky Guy, I can feel and hear mine in the back of my neck too!!

I hear my mechanical valve most of the time. Do I wish I had quieter valve? Yes. However, it is also a constant reminder how fortuate I am to still be around :).

Karl

I have a mechanical valve (10 yrs) and only hear I'm somewhere quiet. Although I do from time to time have friends or strangers ask if I hear a loud clock and I inform them it's my valve.

My valves vary in how loud they are - usually they're pretty noisy. My wife has even told me she has heard them over the phone! :eek:

Sometimes, they do seem to go altogether silent, even though I can feel a pulse.

Sometimes I even wonder if I had AVR because I never hear mine at all. Maybe I just got lucky.

Cheers,
Michelle

You are lucky Michelle!

To the guy who said he could hear his valve in his neck, I can hear mine in my throat....odd. BUT if my husband is trying to hear it and can't I can open my mouth wide and there it is!

Mileena

Mine are fairly quiet, I can normally only hear them in bed and the noise isn't intrusive. What I find interesting is that if I listen carefully I can hear the two different valves, they sound quite different to each other. I can 'tune one out' and listen to the other. I don't know what noise comes from which valve though, one is louder than the other.

Thanks everybody for your replies. Guess we are certainly in the minority but glad to find out there are a few other non-clickers. After reading what some of you have to live with, I do consider myself fortunate to have my silent valve. Was at my pulmonary docs today to check my COPD and actually had a very slight improvement in lung function from 2 years ago. But after she listened to my lungs, she said "that valve is really loud" so guess she could hear it.

Thanks again all of you. You are all such a wonderful "family" to have.

Midge

I have a mechanical aortic valve and had one for over a year now. Nineteen years old when I got it. The surgeon explained to me how the clicking may become extremely annoying and unbearable for the first few days to weeks. But he said I'd get used to it.

When I started to gain my conciousness back five days later (earliest memory) I never heard my valve. People standing very close to me can hear it but I cannot. I do have digital hearing aids, and I still cannot hear it through them.

Sometimes I'll hear the ticking for a few minutes. I'll get up and wonder what the noise is and it disappears, as I forget it was my valve.

My surgeon came into my room when I was watching television. He turned off the TV and he stood still, and itched closer and closer trying to hear my valve through my clothing. He said he was surprised at how quiet my valve was as he would've thought he would hear it across the room.

I consider my hard of hearing a gift now. :3.

I never heard a leaf crack until I was eighteen years old. And I thought I missed out on so much. But the sound of quiet, I have never appreciated it more.

Latest posts

Back