Anyone else allergic to dye in Warfarin/Coumadin?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, what I meant was is there a possibility that you've become allergic to another medication (not the warfarin) or food that has caused the reddness/rash.

I just turn red all over...it is a medication rash. Mostly on my face. Also, only the 10mg Warfarin pills are dye free, just to clarify someone else's post.

Colleen -- I found this online about the colors of warfarin:

Warfarin Sodium Tablets, USP for oral use also contain:
All strengths: Anhydrous lactose, corn starch and magnesium stearate
1 mg: D&C red #6 Barium Lake.
2 mg: FD&C blue #2 Aluminum Lake, FD&C red #40 Aluminum Lake.
2.5 mg: FD&C blue #2 Aluminum Lake, D&C yellow #10 Aluminum Lake.
3 mg: FD&C blue #2 Aluminum Lake, FD&C red #40 Aluminum Lake, D&C yellow #10 Aluminum Lake.
4 mg: FD&C blue #1 Aluminum Lake.
5 mg: D&C yellow #10 Aluminum Lake, D&C red #6 Barium Lake.
6 mg: D&C yellow #10 Aluminum Lake, FD&C blue #2 Aluminum Lake.
7.5 mg: D&C yellow #10 Aluminum Lake.
10 mg: Dye Free

I have both 7.5mg and 10mg of TARO warfarin and they are both white....well, to my eye they were both white until I asked Mike to tell me what color they are and to him the 7.5 is yellow and the 10mg is white. Course I never can tell green from blue either..:eek::D

Hi, Colleen-
I'm not on Wafarin (yet) but I do have lots of experience with wierd eczema rashes, so I thought I would chime in with another idea of a possiblity. It probably is the pill's dye, but those food colors are used in a lot of other foods. Do you notice your rash when you eat those products?

I am allergic to methylmethacrylates (or anything ending in acrylates). This stuff is in lots of sunscreens, lotions, skin treatments, hair sprays/gels, and nail glues--even the hypoallergenic brands. It's the solvent used in acrylic nals, too. I think I developed a severe allergy from all the hairspray I used in the 1980s.:) I no longer use these products and only get a breakout when I'm accidently exposed (boyfriend had to stop using hair gell. I have to stay out of community swimming pools in beach locations--it gets in the water from other people's suncsreen).

I figured this out when I got a set of acrylic nails for a wedding and broke out in t-shirt shaped rash 2 days later My hands were fine, but the allergy was so severe, it got in my system and errupted all over and where ever it felt like. I thought I had a laundry soap allergy, but nope, it was the acrylates. I got a patch test done at the dermatogist and was deathly allergic to acrylates and somewhat allergic to lanolin. Could you get a patch test to determine which dyes affect you?

I recently had gall bladder surgery and got a nasty rash when they used a medical adhesive called BIOZIN, so when I have my VR I plan to have patch tests done prior to surgery of any glues they plan to use.

Probably TMI, but I thought I would share with you. Could be Bina's issue? Good luck!

I was searching for another topic and found this one. Colleen, I am allergic to a few medications and they usually manifest as the all-over red rash just like yours. I talke lower amounts of warfarin and have found different generic manufacturers put different amounts of dye in the 2's. In any event, I believe you are truly allergic to the dye!

I also have become allergic to shampoo, detergent, creme rinse, alloe vera (soothing ointment, my butt!), eggs, cheap jewellry, etc. Good luck with your sensitivities.

Thanks everyone. Marsha, It took me only like a day to realize the allergy. To all who suggested shampoo or clothing detergent, no I know this is not the cause. If I take ANY of the lower (1mg-7.5mg) warfarin doseages, I get red in the face, pricks really....that is good cause I'm a real PRICK! HAHA), and trunk, and on the arms. Lucky me. Thanks Maryka, letting me know I'm not the only one.

Latest posts

Back