Antidepressant and warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smax

I welcome any information about antidepressants that can be used with warfarin. Effexor has been prescribed for me but I read the info about it that said it should not be used with warfarin. I was on Wellbutrin for a very long time but it was not helping any more so I need to find a replacement.

There should be a sticky somewhere on the forum to check interactions with any kind of drug. Try to Google "Drug Digest" if you can't find the sticky and book mark it.
This is what it came up with:

No interactions were found for the drugs you selected.
You searched for interactions between the following drugs :

* Effexor Tablets
* Warfarin Tablets

As Freddie suggested, there are many websites with drug information and a drug-interaction option.
Just Google the drug name and you should find several links to follow.

Pharmacists often know more about Drug Interactions than (many) Doctors.
Ask your pharmacist for a list of antidepresants that do not interact with Warfarin,
then show the list to your Doctor. BTW, consultations with Pharmacists are FREE :)

'AL Capshaw'

Thank you both so much. I just had a long online chat with a Walgreen's pharmacist who said the Effexor effect on warfarin was moderate but nothing that would cause them to alert my Dr. Thank you for the suggestions.

This comes back to what many of us have said before -- it's great if you have a meter and can do your own testing. This way, if you add or remove a medication, or make other changes, you can test more frequently and detect any changes in your INR BEFORE these changes can become serious problems. (And if you detect an abnormal INR, you can get help more quickly).

Personally, I believe that anyone taking Warfarin who is able to successfully test his or her own INR SHOULD be able to do self-testing. Meters and supplies should be affordable -- and if the number of users gets to where it SHOULD be, the supplies and meters SHOULD become much more affordable. (And for those who either can't afford testing or aren't capable of self-testing, the tests should be affordable (or even free), and test locations should be convenient and easy to find).

Latest posts

Back