Another update on dad...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to say it is a kind of clearish/reddish color in the tube...once in the little tank thing, it looks more red.

I, too, had an unusual amount of drainage and had to keep my chest tubes for 7 days, which is longer than most. There was no explanation given for it other than that was just the way my body reacted to the surgery. They will pull them when the timing is right. In the meantime, please know that I found these things extremely uncomfortable (and I kept my pain pump the whole time), so your father may feel much better when they come out.

Kim

Thanks Kfay...it is good to know that this isn't totally unheard of. As far as pain, I do not think dad has had anything for pain since the middle of last week. He actually says he is hardly hurting at all.

He cannot quite stand on his own. Maybe for a second or two but that is it before his knees buckle. He is not allowed to even try without two nurses or someone to stabilize him & keep him from falling. He has almost no strength in his legs. He has been sitting in his chair with both feet on the floor & pressing down as if to stand up. He said it couldn't hurt! Why he doesn't feel that way about the spirometer, I have no clue!

When I had fluid in my chest cavity (between the lung and chest wall), one Doctor told me to use the Incentive Spirometer for 10 minutes every 2 hours when awake.

I would PUSH until I could actually feel the fluid being squeezed out. It took a while, but it got the job done. I didn't want a repeat of "Walking Pneumonia" which developed 3 weeks after my first OHS.

I would ask them if they can provide a little pain medication just prior to the time they pull the chest tubes. In my case, it hurt like heck when they pulled them, and I've read where many others had a similar experience.

However, now that I've written that, if he has plastic tubes, there is apparently little discomfort with them. I don't know why all hospitals don't use them. Maybe we should start a grassroots movement on VR to make plastic chest tubes mandatory with valve replacement?;)

Mary, Plastic tubes still hurt when being removed - I screamed (maybe due to low pain tolerance?)

It may be a good idea to ask for some pain meds before the removal.

When I had fluid in my chest cavity (between the lung and chest wall), one Doctor told me to use the Incentive Spirometer for 10 minutes every 2 hours when awake.

I would PUSH until I could actually feel the fluid being squeezed out. It took a while, but it got the job done. I didn't want a repeat of "Walking Pneumonia" which developed 3 weeks after my first OHS.

That is what I am worried about...especially with his SOB!

He did tell me that a very outspoken nurse pretty well rode his butt yesterday evening about not using his spirometer & explained to him that the spirometer is what helps break that stuff up in his lungs so he can cough it up & that by not continuing to use it, he was setting himself up for disaster! :eek: He told me he would work at using it more! :rolleyes: That is exactly what he needs, his nurses riding his ass about the stuff he is not doing!

I would ask them if they can provide a little pain medication just prior to the time they pull the chest tubes. In my case, it hurt like heck when they pulled them, and I've read where many others had a similar experience.

However, now that I've written that, if he has plastic tubes, there is apparently little discomfort with them. I don't know why all hospitals don't use them. Maybe we should start a grassroots movement on VR to make plastic chest tubes mandatory with valve replacement?;)

Mary, what kind of chest tubes did u have?

What are the options for the tubes? Plastic or what? His look like plastic, but who knows! :confused:

He told me a few minutes ago they are walkiing him farther & farther. This last time he said they walked to the nurses station across the hall from his door rather than stopping at the door. He said he was wore slap out after that though!

What are the options for the tubes? Plastic or what? His look like plastic, but who knows! :confused:

He told me a few minutes ago they are walkiing him farther & farther. This last time he said they walked to the nurses station across the hall from his door rather than stopping at the door. He said he was wore slap out after that though!

Hey, I hope that keep those walks up. Even though he gets "wore slap out" he will get a tiny bit stronger each time. Tell him to keep up the good work:D

I also found out he has used his spirometer about 15 times so far today. That isn't near enough but it is a start!

My wife went to visit him earlier & just happened to walk in while his surgeon was in the room with him. My wife had a thousand questions for him & even called me to see what I wanted to ask.

The surgeon says he is pleased at where dad is right now in his recovery seeing as how bad his first night was. He said he wasn't aware if we knew how close we came to losing him that night. He said dad was in real bad shape.

He said the drainage at this point is unusual but he is not concerned about it. He says it is slowing considerably & that the color of it tells him "no worry" LOL (indian doctor)

I asked about dad's fluid on his lungs & his shortness of breath. He said that as long as dad was on the heart/lung machine that he is not surprised. He says dad is doing great & it will just longer than usual for him to get his breath back due to the fact he was so bad off before surgery & then once again, his problems the first night. He also stressed to dad the importance of using the spirometer to help break that stuff up. He did say though that the daily x-rays are looking better every day!

He said overall dad is actually doing a little better & is in better shape as far as his recovery, than he would have thought just from judging by his rough night right after surgery...he kept saying how bad that first night really was & how close dad came to dieing.

After talking to the surgeon today, I guess things may have actually been worse than I thought after surgery. We knew dad was in bad shape but really didn't realize he was anywhere near death. I would still feel a little better if his lungs would clear or he was at least able to talk without getting winded. Guess we just need to give it time & thank the Lord he DID make it through that first night!

Oh good, finally some answers. Well it seems that your dad is moving in the right direction. I know how much I hated that stupid Spirometer, but I do admit that it helped a lot. Also like a said before small walks/steps at first make you stronger. Tiny increases even by one step help. Have your dad count silently how many steps he is able to take, then when he can he can increase it by 1 or 2 steps. My mom had CHF and every time she landed in the hospital with fluid in her lungs, that is what we did. tiny tiny steps....

Dad finally got one of his chest tubes out yesterday but still has the other one. Once they finally remove the other one he can go to the Progressive Care Center & hopefully get back on his feet. So far, he has only made short walks with LOTS of help.

He still has breathing problems every other day or so. One day he will be short of breath all day & be breathing really shallow and the next day he will be fine & breathing normally! He is using his spirometer all day so hopefully that will help!

It sounds as if there is some improvement. As long as it is going in the right direction, it doesn't matter if it is on a slow boat.

Maybe they could give him some easy leg exercises to do while he is just laying around.

Back