Annual check tomorrow

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sue943

This ought to be interesting, this is my first check-up as a 'public' patient, I have always had private health insurance until last year. What will be most interesting is the lack of medical records as here private patient records belong to the doctor who treated you, so the urologist will have one set of records, the gynaecologist will have his records and the cardiologist will have my cardiac records but in his private rooms unless he has now sent himself a set to the hospital.

When I went to have my echo a few weeks ago in preparation for this consultation the man who did the echo asked me what I had had done as there was nothing in my medical notes.

As I said, it should be fun. :D At least it is the same cardiologist as I had privately, as there won't be too many people here in the island who have had endocarditis and two mechanical valves I guess he will remember me alright. :)

Sue, good luck with your appointment. Sounds as though you may need it. With that type of medical system, it must be difficult to treat patients who have more than one thing wrong with them and correlate the affect one disease may have on a second disease that the patient has.

Thoughts of a good exam sent your way.

Midge

I have been and it certainly was interesting in that it was much more pleasant than I expected. For thirty-five years I have only had private care with the associated well-appointed and luxurious surroundings.

I arrived at the hospital a bit early as I allowed time to park only to find that there was loads of space, perhaps something to do with it being a Friday, who knows. Having asked on Wednesday when I went to the warfarin clinic, I knew that I had to check in at the Outpatients' reception. No one else was waiting so that was a fast procedure, I was then told to go to corridor B and to take a seat outside room 5.

As I was so early I was able to see what happened to other patients, it seemed to me that each was allocated about quarter of an hour. A very senior nurse called each patient in to be weighed and to have their BP taken and HR measured. She recognised me from when I did cardiac rehab, I said that I was no longer covered by private insurance after 35 years so was now a public patient and she said "I thought your notes were a bit thin!".

The cardiologist came out himself to call me in, shook my hand and invited me into the examination room. He told me that I was looking good, had I lost weight? He then asked if I objected to a medical student observing the consultation, I didn't mind as they have to learn sometime. He told me that he had reviewed my echo and ECG which I had done a few weeks back in preparation for this check-up, he said both were fine, no problems.

He then asked about the drugs that I was taking and said the mix seemed to be working fine. I told him about my kidney stone and he said the he would be suggesting that I be referred to a nephrologist for review. He asked about my exercise levels and we agreed that I would attempt to do more. He wanted to know about my blood sugar levels as I am a type II diabetic, he thought that I ought to get more in control but that exercise should help that too.

He then said that he would see me in a year and that I would have an echo and ECG just prior to seeing him again.

Totally painless, and more to the point free!

Latest posts

Back