aneurysms

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnCalderwood

I seem to be reading more and more about people having aneurysms (near the aortic) . Some detected before surgery, some being larger than expected. Are these usually noticed from a cat scan? Some cases it isn't a problem the surgeon fixes them or removes them I guess. Other times it seems to be an additional step while replacing a valve. What can I learn from what everybody knows about aneurysms? What is the best test to know if I have one before surgery? Trying to cut down on possible unwanted surprises? Thoughts? Thank you.

If you have all the proper tests, anything that indicates an enlargement should be seen and there should be no surprises. The bad thing about aneurysms are that there aren't really any give aways that they exist. Usually, when someone has one, it's not detected until they're dead or like in my case, it ruptures without killing you, but I was lucky in that I still have life.

There is no excuse for cases like vrmoriarty's where they didn't know until she was opened. If they'd of done all the proper testing before hand, it would have been seen.

You might also want to check out www.aorticdissection.com and http://www.aorticdissection.com/Forums/

I had an ascending aortic anurysm. Mine was first found on an echo, then later confirmed and had a better measurement with a CTA scan. 4.9 when found, 5.2 from CTA scan, and 5.5 when measured in surgery. It was taken out, and replaced with a gelweave graft and valve sparing aortic root replacement with gelweave valsalva.
The surgeon showed me this site. He said this is what i had done.

http://www.opa.medicine.arizona.edu/news/aug07/valsalva.pdf

If you have all the proper tests, anything that indicates an enlargement should be seen and there should be no surprises. The bad thing about aneurysms are that there aren't really any give aways that they exist. Usually, when someone has one, it's not detected until they're dead or like in my case, it ruptures without killing you, but I was lucky in that I still have life.

There is no excuse for cases like vrmoriarty's where they didn't know until she was opened. If they'd of done all the proper testing before hand, it would have been seen.

You might also want to check out www.aorticdissection.com and http://www.aorticdissection.com/Forums/

Almost every person I can think of that is going for AVR and has an annuerysm, it was discoverred, usually in the echo then confirmed with further testing (MRI, CT scan and usually a cath) and the surgery is planned for a valve replacement and either root or ascending aorta replaced. Sometimes the get a seperate valve and graft other times the surgeon usues an all in 1 unit.
As long as you are having preop tests, they are pretty hard to miss. sometimes it will be worse THAN they were expecting.
Since you are being followed do you have the measurements from your echo?

not noticed

not noticed

I had an aneurysm of 6cm and it was not detected by the radiologist that read my echocardiogram! It was done at my local hospital and had I not taken the tape of the test to my 1st visit to a cardiologist it probably would've gone undetected, and dissected. Luckily, my cardio looked at the tape after my appt, he called me, set up another appt with my husband and me. I knew something was up, but didn't expect hearing that I had an aneurysm of operable size!
The echo only was done in the 1st place because my GP, whom I had also seen for the 1st time, heard a loud murmur. Before this, I didn't even know I had an aortic valve leak. It was this MD who insisted I take the tape to the cardio for him to see. She just had a feeling there was something that should've shown up.

Aneurysm

Aneurysm

I really haven't taken the time to look into the research that's out there, but my surgeon told me that it's fairly common for the congenital tissue disorder that occurs in a defective aortic valve to extend into the aorta. He also told me what the tissue in my aortic aneurysm was going to look like when he removed it. He was dead on.

I think the CT scan they ran on me showed the best picture of how bad my aortic aneurysm was. When my surgeon showed it to me on his computer I was shocked.

-Philip

seems like often times the discovery of an aneurysm is serendipitous. Quite a few people on the boards here seem to find theirs when they're imaged because of symptomatic valves. The echo might catch it, but if the echo doesn't the ct scan usually does. Er, the person interpreting the echo or ct scan does.

A CT scan found mine and saved my life, but I think my cath. was the best test I had, they are in there and can see everything size and any additional problems. He just seem to know a lot more after this test was done! It does not hurt and you can come home the same day! Good Luck!

My aneurysm was in the ascending aorta but, perhaps because I have a long ascending aorta, it was not visible with an echo. It first showed up on a chest x-ray. From then on I had CT scans. Ironically my surgeon could not understand why the aneurysm was not visible in an echo. He seemed to reject the CT's I brought in also. But I laughed and told him he had better fix that aneurysm while he was in replacing the aortic valve. His first words after I woke from the surgery were: "I found the aneurysm and I fixed it!"

Good luck!

scared.

scared.

Hey John. I wanted to address your signature. It is a very scary thought having open heart surgery. I really wished I had looked for this site prior to. There are some great people here to ask questions of. My life did flash before my eyes the night before surgery in the most vivid dream ever.
I wandered around knowing I had the 5.0 anerysm for a couple of months prior to meeting with a surgeon, at which point he looked at my valve, etc and put me into surgery pronto. So my head was just in a spin.

You will be very,very, very weak after this. I couldn't believe how useless I was. Anyway I feel you man, but I made it. The valve decision is a tough one. Wondering how old you are?

What I know about aneurysms is that I have one (4.5 cm) and WANT IT GONE! :) Seriously, though, the discovery of my aneurysm is a testament to this wonderful site and the terrific people on it.

I had an aneurysm repaired along with my AVR back in 1999. I think the aneurysm was discovered when I had a cath. It wasn't at a critical point then, but the surgeon said that he'd go ahead and fix it since it would eventually need repair.

Thanks to reading this forum I then discovered that us folks with bicuspid valves can develop another aneurysm. My annual echos had never showed a hint of any problems but a couple of years ago I mentioned to my cardio what I'd learned here and asked if I should get a CT scan. She agreed and guess what? A little bugger measuring 4.5 cm (along with aneurysms in a couple of the great vessels) that were not visible on my echos showed up on the CT. So I am very grateful that it's now being followed.

Best wishes!

Cheers,
Michelle

John, as you can see alot of people here have had, or have, and know exactly what you are going through. Im just glad my anurysm is gone. Its a big relief not having to wonder about it. Go ahead and continue to ask anything that comes to mind. I couldnt have gotten through my surgery without this site... Everyone on here is great. They all have somthing to contribute, to anyone who is facing OHS.

John, Didn't you have an echo and CAT scan done recently? I know you ran into problems getting answers because your card is away for a while. But have you tried getting copies of your test results? Especially the CAT scan if that report is ready, but even the echo would/should have the measurements of your aorta, at least the root and part of the ascending. JUST knowing what those measurements are could tell you alot, and maybe could even help put your mind at ease if your numbers are "normal". Worse case, if they show your aorta is large somewhere, at least you will know that too and know since you are already having surgery it can be fixed. I find FOR ME, not knowing what is going on and thinking worse case,driving myself nuts with the What Ifs, is more stressful than having an answer, even a bad answer, and getting a plan.
I'm not sure how you get your records in Canada (or honestly even if they have to give them to you by law, but I know other members here from Canada have theirs) So I think I would call your cardiologist office Monday and ask for copies of all your tests, even IF your doctor is still away, that shouldn't make a difference, since I deal with the office staff to get records. IF they can't won't send them to you, ask who to contact to get copies. Usually it is the hospital's Medical records dept, but they won't have them as quickly as the doctors do.
Good luck.

I was happy to have survived a rupture, but I'm not at all happy to know that I have a 3.6 abdominal aneurysm now. I feel like a time bomb all over again.

Latest posts

Back