Amiodarone

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deano89

i have been put on amiodarone since surgery i will be on it till my 6 week check at reduced levels as follows.
i beleive i started on 4 X 200mg tabs a day but not absolutely sure so could of been 3 all along or which was poss reduced to 3 at some point in hospital till the 30/10 then reduced to 2 till 6/11 which will then be reduced to 1 tab till my six week check on the 10th of dec the idea being that i am weened off it
the tabs are taken at regular intervals through the day, should i be concerned if its only for this period , as i have read some of the side effects and its quite worrying, not sure if this due to long term use though , never told in hospital i had rythm issues so not sure if its use is as a preventitive
the only thing i have noticed post op is a loss of weight approx 12lbs since pre-op 22 oct also a very dry mouth at night, pulse and blood pressure & temp seem normal
has anyone else had this used short term like this?

The problems that come from Amiodarone are usually associated with Long Term Use or Over Dosing for a (long) period of time.

To work properly, it must 'saturate' the cells in the body so they use "Loading Doses" at the start and then taper off. It sounds like you have been put on a proper schedule and should be OK (assuming they stop after your checkup). If they ask you to continue after your check, I would ask to be monitored for signs of Lung and Eye 'effects', and want to know how long they have in mind.

I'm not a fan of Amiodarone but realize that many Doc's like to use it because it WORKS, and works fast, allowing them to treat and release patients quickly.

'AL Capshaw'

Dean, I think a lot of us woke up to find we had been put on Amiodarone. Like you, I was concerned about being on it. I stayed on it for about 2 months and to my knowledge haven't suffered any long term side effects from it.

Kim

I was on it for a while due to some A Fib, weaned off asap though.

Mine was in the summer and I was aware that it was important to stay out of the sun so as not to turn blue. This morning I went to the warfarin clinic for my INR and there was a man there whose skin was a most peculiar colour, I have never seen anything like it before, I was tempted to ask if he had been on Amiodarone but didn't like to.

how you doin dean? i was put on it for 2 month,like a lot on here i had rythem issues after my op,perks of the job lol,i went into af yuck,but it cleared up,touch wood i didnt suffer any problems, you should be fine mate......hows the footie goin? up the arsenal lol

thanks all ,i did ring the hospital because i have lost approx 12lbs post op , and it says in documentation to ring if you have unexplained weight loss, they are going to speak with the consultant to see if i can be weaned off it quicker .the only other things i have had post op is a bit of clamy skin coccasionally and a really dry mouth at night check my temp regularry and that seems all ok
thanks Neil the Arsenal result has put me back weeks LOL. apart from that i am walking short distances but often and resting, i feel pretty good in myself just enjoying being at home .i start cardiac rehab on the 3rd Dec

Blue?

Blue?

Sue,

Why do people turn blue? What is wrong with being in the sun? I am an avid sun bather and I intend to start next May as usual! WHY do they turn blue?

I love my Amiodarone! I have to have it to stay out of A-Fib! AND I didn't LOSE weight if anything I gained weight!

Now I am worried! I don't want to be blue!

Mileena

I was started on Amio 2 weeks after surgery when they discovered I was in a-fib. I was taking a morning dose and an afternoon dose. Within a week or two I was back in normal rhythm. My cardio cut the dose to one per day for another month or so, and I've been off it completely for almost a month.

If you are on Warfarin, expect it to mess with your INR levels both while you are on Amio and for some time afterwards.

I had no side effects from the drug and no (known) damage to any organs or such.

I don't think that significant sunbathing would be a good idea. The drug information is quite clear to avoid direct exposure to the sun. I kept to moderate sun exposure and had no problems, but different people have different reactions and sensitivity.

Dean, after surgery I was also on Amiodarone for only about 3 weeks. Had an episode of A-fib right after surgery so they put me on it--200 mg. About the end of the 3rd week I e-mailed my cardio to ask how long I had to stay on it and he replied that "now is as good a time as any to stop", so I did and no consequences. After what you read about the stuff, really makes you want to avoid taking it unless absolutely necessary.

Midge

Sue,

Why do people turn blue? What is wrong with being in the sun? I am an avid sun bather and I intend to start next May as usual! WHY do they turn blue?

I love my Amiodarone! I have to have it to stay out of A-Fib! AND I didn't LOSE weight if anything I gained weight!

Mileena

The leaflet you should receive with the drug tells you that you must stay out of direct sun and about the risk of the skin turning blue - and it is permanent. Have you been sunbathing since starting the drug?

"Amiodarone can cause a very disfiguring blue-grey discoloration of the skin, generally in areas of sun exposure." This is a quote from http://heartdisease.about.com/cs/arrhythmias/a/amiodarone.htm

thanks i have spoken again to he Hospital this afternoon and my Consultant has advised i go to my GP tomorrow and have an ECG if that is ok i will be taken off it .
i am on 6mg daily of warfarin with an INR of 1.9 at the moment with another test due thursday so will notify the nurse if i am off or coming off amino

Sue,

Mileena

Here is a picture it is VERY blue, not just a tinge http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/113/5/e63

Sue,

Mileena

If you really need this drug to stay out of a-fib, you should talk to your Dr. about switching to the new "form" (I use that term loosely) of it called Multaq. They removed the iodine out of Amiodarone amoung other things which supposedly make it a safer drug without the bad side effects (including turning blue!)
I've been on it for 3 weeks now without any problems.

Kim

OK....ok I am finally convinced! I want off of it. BUT what else can I take? I can't take the new drug because of the expense...so I need something else....I am going to call my cardio tomorrow.....so what should I ask for?

Mileena

Mileena, I would just have a frank conversation with your Dr. discussing the pros and cons of Amiodarone. If you make it clear that you would prefer to take something else, I would leave it up to him what drug might be best for your situation. By the way, do you have prescription drug coverage? If so, it should cover the new drug. I have to come out of pocket $45 for a months worth.

Kim

No insurance at all. At my last cardio visit....he didn't say anything about taking me off of it. He did lower my dose from 400mg a day to 100. His nurse then told me he would probably never take me completely off it. BUT if I can never get out in the sun again....or I have to be careful of the sun that is just NOT going to work! I spend most of my time outdoors in summer.
OK, I know it will be up to my doctor...but there must be a drug out there that isn't amoidarone or the new version that works on A-FIb. I might never go back into A-Fib. I went in about 3 weeks post-op and had to be converted. Actually I was taking the amoidarone then...but it freaks me out to think of how my heart will beat without it!

My heart is beating soooo good! I don't want to be blue....but I don't want to be out of rhythm either!

Mileena

Mileena, I would be more worried about the other issues Amiodarone can cause other than turning blue. Have you looked it up on the web? I can cause a whole host of serious issues. There are other drugs that can treat a-fib.

Kim

Latest posts

Back