Amiodarone

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ken

The Heart Surgery Forum

Issue: Volume 11, Number 5 / October 2008
Pages: E272 - E275
URL: Linking Options

Does Stopping Amiodarone after Successfully Treating Atrial Fibrillation Occurring after Cardiac Surgery Increase the Risk of Recurrence?

Saina Attaran A1, Roy Sherwood A1, Lindsay John A1, Ahmed El-Gamel A1, Jatin Desai A1

A1 Cardiothoracic Department, King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK

Abstract:

Objectives: Atrial fibrillation (AF) following cardiac surgery is common and can complicate postoperative recovery. Amiodarone is a drug frequently used for cardioversion. Some clinicians advocate only in-hospital use of amiodarone until cardioversion, whereas others continue its use for several weeks following cardiac surgery. Inadvertent long-term administration of the drug could be harmful. This study assessed the risk of AF recurrence under 2 different regimens of amiodarone treatment.

Methods: From January 2005 to July 2007, we reviewed 296 patients who developed postoperative AF. Group A consisted of 198 patients who were discharged on amiodarone treatment, and group B consisted of 98 patients who were discharged without amiodarone treatment. The patients were followed for 8 weeks after cardiac surgery and were observed for the development of symptoms such as palpitations, transient ischemic attack (TIA), stroke, and recurrence of or readmission for AF. In addition, we evaluated a control group of 145 patients with similar characteristics and no postoperative AF for the incidence of stroke and AF and compared the results with their rates in the study groups.

Results:
Patients discharged on amiodarone therapy were more likely to experience episodes of palpitations than those not on amiodarone (13% versus 10%); however, the rates of AF recurrence were almost the same for the 2 groups (8% and 9%, respectively). The 2 groups also showed no difference in the incidence of TIA and stroke (5% versus 4%). A low incidence of stroke and AF (1%-2%) was observed in patients with no perioperative AF.

Conclusions: Long-term treatment of patients with amiodarone should be reconsidered, because it may not be as effective as previously thought in preventing symptoms and AF recurrence. The surprising incidence of neurologic events requires further investigation.

Ken,

Thanks for the info. I'm in the A-group guinea pigs and was discharged on Amio and took it from March through December. I am glad to be off it due to its many potentially nasty side effects. Much has been written about it on this site, and most is negative. Hopefully I will stay in sinus rhythm because A-flutter was a PITA.
John

I was on Amiodarone post surgery for three months. Was taken off and 2 weeks later went into Afib. Self converted and remained off the drug for a time before going into Afib again. Had a cardioversion and was put back on Amiodarone and digoxin. Today I went into AFib again. HR is about 130. Feels like I am trying to convert but it won't go back to a normal rythm. Looks like another cardioversion followed up by an ablation are in my future.

I was on Amiodarone post surgery for three months. Was taken off and 2 weeks later went into Afib. Self converted and remained off the drug for a time before going into Afib again. Had a cardioversion and was put back on Amiodarone and digoxin. Today I went into AFib again. HR is about 130. Feels like I am trying to convert but it won't go back to a normal rythm. Looks like another cardioversion followed up by an ablation are in my future.

You may want to discuss the option of trying Sotalol (generic form of BetaPace) with your Cardiologist. It is recommended that you be hospitalized for a few day 'just in case' you develop any dangerous arrhythmias while your body adjusts to the medication. NOT ALL Doctors follow this protocol!

My cardio has told me that a "son of Amiodarone" drug has just been approved in the UK, apparently has the efficacy of amiodarone without the nasty side effects. at least another option....

Latest posts

Back