Allsport GPS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason

Always Assume Positive Intent
Hello all,

I bought myself a heart rate monitor/watch recently, and couldn't bring myself to part with the several hundreds of additional dollars to get the GPS version. Also, the timex version that I was looking at was huge!

Anyway, I found Allsport GPS, an application for mobile phones with GPS or triangulation technology built in, and I really like it. For me, I downloaded it off of Blackberry App World, and used the trial for 7 days. For $10, I can take my cell phone with me (which with my work I have to do anyway) and have a GPS function as well as real time data of how fast I am going, see myself on a map, etc. Your trips automatically upload to the website, and you can then make them public and share them on facebook, etc. if you like. On the website you can also look in your area for other trips that people have posted, and race against your previous trips if you would like. Pretty neat. Anyway, thought I would share. You would need to have your GPS or triangulation tech turned on in order to use this, but for me it is well worth the ten bucks.

It's pretty neat how versatile smart phones are turning out to be. I just noticed the other day the you can actually buy a heart rate monitor band that sends it's signal directly to an Iphone which collects the input and, with an app, puts out performance stats even while it is keeping track of speed distance, location etc.

My cardio-rehab people are fussy about knowing exactly how far I'm walking, so this sounds useful. I've used an older hand-held GPS I bought used, but it's much slower at grabbing sattelites than the one in the car (which I haven't tried yet). Websites like MapMyWalk.com do pretty easy measurement either pre- or post-walk, but automation makes sense. For me the tricky part is that they're only interested in the time and distance after the warmup and before the cool-down. . .

Now I'm finally released to do bicycling instead of walking, and on the bike they're more interested in cadence, duration, and heart-rate, which works for me.

I just went for a bicycle ride with the Allsport turned on, and it seems to be very accurate for distance, pace, average pace, and mapping. If you want check it out, as it has a free trial for seven days. I just purchased it after running the trial through.

I have something similar on my Blackberry called Endomondo. It was a free app (probably still is) and it sounds like it has most of the same features. I track my distance, and it maps the route and can be uploaded. I use my Mio Ultimate HR monitor and just combine the stats from both. I like the sounds of the iphone app, very slick!

Hello all,

I bought myself a heart rate monitor/watch recently, and couldn't bring myself to part with the several hundreds of additional dollars to get the GPS version. Also, the timex version that I was looking at was huge!

Anyway, I found Allsport GPS, an application for mobile phones with GPS or triangulation technology built in, and I really like it. For me, I downloaded it off of Blackberry App World, and used the trial for 7 days. For $10, I can take my cell phone with me (which with my work I have to do anyway) and have a GPS function as well as real time data of how fast I am going, see myself on a map, etc. Your trips automatically upload to the website, and you can then make them public and share them on facebook, etc. if you like.
Great deal...I'd be more concerned about being able to make the data private. Seems like going public is pretty automatic these days.

With this the rides, walks, runs, etc. are defaulted to private. You have to go in to the website and select to make it public, and then you can share it on facebook, etc. At least that is what it has been for me so far.

AllSport is cool, but for free, I switched to Endomondo. They are similar, but Endomondo has a HR monitor option (needs Bluetooth). It tracks elevation, but only at the website. I know this is probably a personnal preference, buy I like the Endomondo website better as well.

I was using cardio trainer, on the droid-x. it tracks on google maps, and does calorie count. it will do walk/run, bike, treadmill, eliptical, etc...and it was free. it keeps total distant or cal for month, year and more.

I just gave it up, my cardio wrote me an rx for the garmin forerunner gps heart rate watch with accessories, So I could use my FSA account to buy it. This week it arrived.it has a touch screen, and 41 different metric units( HR, Cadence, speed,etc... it has virtual partner(race against set pace), virtual racer--you race against your own activity. the list goes on and on. I feel very spoiled.
My work-out intensity has gone way up with this watch. So now my HR has been going to high. I push to hard to beat the pace set, or beat my previous activity, cycling or running. BTW it is the garmin 610, it's garmin's newest gps heart rate watch.
but for free program, Cardio Trainer is a nice program on droid

ron.

Latest posts

Back