Alerion update

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David, my friend, glad all went smoothly and the surgery was quick. Hope your recovery progresses as quickly. Does it hurt to laugh? Imagine in the next day or so you will be awake enough to find out. Can't imagine you going very long without laughing...no matter how much it hurts.

It will be interesting comparing experiences once all four of us get our valve jobs this week. Take care, rest, enjoy being catered to and all that other good stuff. Feel like all of us patients deserve some of that. Be in touch!

Cozycat

I missed this until now! Good news! Wishing David a very smooth recovery!

New update

New update

I just got this from Heidi,

Hey Everyone,

I just got home from the hospital it is 12:00am. David had a slight complication tonight. He was having trouble breathing and a chest e-ray showed that his right lung was collapsed. They called in Dr. Carr's associate and he inserted a tube and David's breathing leveled right out. He is experiencing some pain and that was being taken care of when I left. His color is good, and he is swearing up a storm so I would say that he is doing better. I will be calling the hospital when I get up in the morning to see how his night went. As soon as I know I will email everyone again. Thanks for your prayers and thoughts, keep them coming. Hopefully by the time I get to visit tomorrow the visiting hours are 12:00 - 2 and 5-7 he will be up walking around, if he has a good night. Talk to you all tomorrow.

Love,
Heidi

I'm sure he is not a happy camper now. I hope they put him out before inserting the chest tube. That is not fun when your conscience.

Morning update

Morning update

Good Morning Everyone,

David had a good night I called at 3:30 this morning and his night nurse said that David's blood pressure was getting better (it was running very low yesterday, they have him on a medicine to keep it up). She was decreasing it and the blood pressure was staying steady. She said he was uncomfortable with pain, but they were managing it. I just called at 7:30 and his day nurse said that he is sitting up in his chair (dozing) and that they have decreased more of the blood pressure medicine and his pressure is good. They are still managing the pain (he is complaining about the pain in his shoulder because of the lung tube more than his chest). So I am off to see him at 12:00 noon, and when I get home tonight I will send another update on how his entire day two went. Thanks everybody for your thoughts and prayers keep them coming because we still have a long road ahead.

Love,
Heidi

Glad to hear that his is cussing out the staff...always a good sign.
Hope they gethim comfortable,
Thanks for the update-Dina

It sounds like he is making some progress. I can speak from experience when I say that those chest tubes are very uncomfortable. I had to keep mine in for 7 days and they left me on the fentynal pain pump the whole time because I had to keep them in so long. Tell David to hang in there, each day gets a little better.

Kim

Heidi, Thanks for the updates. Hopefully the hardest part is over, and he can concentrate on breathing, walking, and sleeping for a month or so. Tell him I hope to see him on the water come summer. Brian

Thanks for the updates. I can't speak on recovery or anything (yet) but being a fellow sailor I'm sure he'll be up and cussing at the "crew" in no time.
"Arrgg Billy" (pirate talk just doesn't look right typed in a forum)

Ian

Everyday is a better day and i do remember those fresh days

Getting chest tube out only makes it better.Thanks for updates

best wishes David.

zipper2 (DEB)

Very sorry to read about the lung collapse and pain with it. I hope David's medicine dims his memory of that and the pain is controlled soon. It must be hard for Heidi, though. The spouse gets to remember it all.

Best wishes for resumed and continuing smooth recovery.

If he's still in pain, and they have him on morphine, you might see if he can get it switched over to fentanyl. They can use the "pump" type setup for it (I had it), so he can dose himself up to the set limit. It's a cousin to morphine, but a stronger pain reliever with better manners.

We're rootin' for him to come home soon.

Very best wishes,

Night update

Night update

Hey Everyone,

Just got back from the hospital, David had a good day he went for 2 walks and then around 7:00pm he was moved to the step down unit. He walked from the nurse's station to his room. He is still experiencing pain because of the tube in his lung. They are giving him pain medicine every 4 hours to help. He was quite uncomfortable tonight after the move. When I left he was starting to calm down and the 10:30 pain killer was taking affect. Keep the prayers and thoughts coming. I will let you know what tomorrow brings.
'
Love,
Heidi

Latest posts

Back