Abnormal Echo

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope your CAT gives a more precise answer.

Occasionally, an aortic valve replacement sets off an aortic root aneurysm. Something doesn't heal quite right, or something is weakened. Hopefully, that is not your issue, and your aortic root diameter winds up being fine.

Very best wishes,

Thanks Bob (and all other well-wishers). The CAT today went smoothly; I was impressed with the efficiency and friendliness of our new hometown hospital.

The tech said I should have results in two days, maybe sooner. I will check with the cardio, get a copy of the report, and certainly invite feedback here. I have reviewed my post-op echos, and I am concerned about the apparent significant enlargement that last week's echo showed, but as has been noted here often, echo results sometimes can be out of whack.

I'll hope for the best, but if I get not-so-good-news, think I will try to get my surgeon in Northern Virginia to take a look and give me an opinion. I have the highest regard for him.

Wise, so very nice and thoughtful of you to think about me at this time of your loss of a beloved family member.

As I mentioned on Facebook, waiting for results of a medical test is worse than the test itself. Guess I will call this afternoon, but may not have til tomorrow.

I'm going through the same thing as you are Bob-o. I had my check up a couple of weeks ago but did not have an echo this time around. But at the end of the visit he drops that he wants to do a CT scan since my echo showed an enlargement. Problem I had with that is the previous echo was done 9 months prior to this last visit. So I was not pleased about that but he told me he just wants to take precautions since it was 4.4 before the last reading of 4.9. I am going to schedule another echo in the next week since I have to pay my deductilbe for a CT scan...which is $3,000. I prefer to pay a $40 office visit for the echo than $3K. I think it could be a miss read but want to find out with the echo before having to have a CT.

We have the same type of valve and had it done around the same time so I will keep you updated on the results.

Hey Bob,

I just go off of the phone with my cardio's assistant and I am going back for another echo on Friday. I will let you know how that goes since we are going through the same thing.

On a side note, do you find it odd that the reason for the valve we got was to take care of the valve and the aortic root and now we are being told that it is enlarging? Maybe I mis-remebered on how the Medtronics aortic valve and root is suppose to work. Here is hoping that we both got misreads on our echo.

Hey Bob,

I just go off of the phone with my cardio's assistant and I am going back for another echo on Friday. I will let you know how that goes since we are going through the same thing.

On a side note, do you find it odd that the reason for the valve we got was to take care of the valve and the aortic root and now we are being told that it is enlarging? Maybe I mis-remebered on how the Medtronics aortic valve and root is suppose to work. Here is hoping that we both got misreads on our echo.

Do you know if the buldge is part of your valve, or above it? Do you know how the valve looks is there any narrowing ect?

It appears that the valve is ok and I am assuming that the root would have to be fine too. I think it is probably above the root. I am getting copies of the two previous echos and will get this one as well. I have not been getting a copy lately since I go in for 10 minutes, he tells me everything is great and I go on my way. This last visit was the same way and then as we are talking about next appointments he throws that out there and wants a CT.

Hey Bob,

Didn't realize you were going through the same thing! We definitely need to swap results and thoughts since we have the same device. Yes, I did understand the combined root/valve would cover the problem in one package, yet now I'm being told that my valve is working fine but the aortic root may be problematic.

However, if you check back several posts in this thread, note that Tobagotwo said that on occasion an aortic root aneurysm can form after an aortic valve replacement, perhaps as a result of something not healing right or...? I did some surfing last night and found a few studies of this happening, though the researchers said it was a fairly rare occurrence. Not clear though if this has happened following implanting of the Freestyle combined root/valve.

Still waiting for my numbers. I called the cardio's office at 3 today and a nice person said she would call the hospital and get the results late this afternoon and call me. Haven't gotten a call-back. I suspect there is the usual process hangup at the hospital; however, my tech told me it would be probably two days, and tomorrow is the second day. But waiting is hell.

Please do keep us posted on your results. Hopefully we both are being thrown for a loop by some false or skewed readings....

Here is the link to the study I mentioned. Different device, and Bentall followed this aneurysm occuring 6 years after surgery, while we have already had the Bentall. Would they re-do a Bentall? I dunno.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/m620413102727j53/

It appears that the valve is ok and I am assuming that the root would have to be fine too. I think it is probably above the root. I am getting copies of the two previous echos and will get this one as well. I have not been getting a copy lately since I go in for 10 minutes, he tells me everything is great and I go on my way. This last visit was the same way and then as we are talking about next appointments he throws that out there and wants a CT.

Thanks, I was curious because a few people seem to be having problems with their medtronic valve not lasting nearly as long as it "should", but they had narrowing of their valves. I'm not a doctor but this sounds more like an aortic tissue problem than problem valve. If I happen to read of anything I'll post it.

Latest posts

Back