A-fib/flutter`

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gail in Ca

Well, I've been on Sotalol for a week, got an EKG today, still in A-fib/flutter. My doc didn't think it would put me back into rhythm, but it was worth a try. Now, I suppose I will get the call to set up a cardioversion, get zapped with the paddles (under sedation), and hope for the best!

I was in the same boat but mostly in A-flutter and was Amiodarone for several months. Finally got the cardioversion and have been A-flutter free for several years now except for a few A-fib evens that I can stop with the Valsalvo maneuver. What a great feeling waking up in sinus rhythm after being put under for the cardioversion.
JOhn

Git 'er done! The sooner the better for cardioversion. You know it has a very high success rate, so look forward to normal sinus rhythm again.

Gail I'm sorry to hear that you are dealing with A Fib/Flutter. I was in constant A-Flutter for 2 months the summer before my most recent surgery. I went into the hospital after 2 weeks of it (yes I was stupid to wait that long lol). They started to do a cardioversion on me (was totally out with propofol), but they do a TEE first to check for clots and I had one so they aborted the cardioversion. After 6 weeks on Coumadin I went back in for the cardioversion but they decided to do an ablation instead. They told me that they thought the ablation had a better long term success rate. I think that may have been for my particular case being in chronic A-Flutter (which made me wonder why they were going to do a cardioversion in the first place lol). I think there is a little higher risk factor with the ablation since it is invasive so maybe the cardioversion is used first. I can't remember if you are on Coumadin but I had to be on Coumadin for 6 weeks after the ablation. Anyway I have been in sinus rhythm ever since. I hope everything turns out well for you!

Sorry to hear it didn't resolve, Gail. I hope cardio diversion takes care of it. I don't know what a flutter is.. does it feel like palpitations? I have been told recently that the MR plus left atrium dilation increases my chances of A-fib and was asked to monitor my palpitations carefully. I always wonder when I feel "off" what it is. I hope you feel better soon, Gail. All the best. - Nupur

Good luck, Gail ... thoughts/prayers en route....

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 5 MCs + 1 Caprice Classic
CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
* rNwJumpStartCruzNite | 5:30-10:30p; SAT, 05/12/12 | BeefVilla, 1225 W Spring St, S Elgin IL *
"The scar, that scar remains" __ Poison __ 'Every Rose Has Its Thorn'

I am not able to detect a flutter. It apparently beats up to 340-400 bpm in between the regular beats, amazing! I only knew my rhythm irregularity was different than my last bout of irregular heart beat( pac,pvc's). My heart rate is normal, about 78, but I am detecting beats that are slower at times, more space between beats. I knew something was off. My cardio says I could live with this, as many people do, but they are usually older when they get a-fib/flutter. But, I feel fatigued, and when I was gardening, my heart was really thumping in my chest. I'm ready to try the cardioversion asap! The rhythm doc hasn't contacted me about a date, he is slower to respond than my own cardio. I sure wish HE could do the procedure, but he only does caths. This doc has just sent an email saying to keep my inr in range(duh!) and to keep taking the Sotolol and metoprolol. I won't need a TEE as I've already been on coumadin and in range a long time. Sigh,,, so I'll be contacting them again tomorrow about WHEN? Nupur, my left atrium has been severely enlarged for awhile, now, so maybe that's part of why this has happened, I'll have to ask about that. So, I'll let you all know when I have an appt for the procedure. Happy thoughts, happy thoughts!!

Good luck Gail!

I was very nervous about cardioversion but it ended up being the day I felt like I got my life back. Finally I had energy and stamina again. I wish you the same. :)

Latest posts

Back