7 weeks post op update mitral valve repair

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deano89

hi all just got back from my 6 week post op meeting with Mr Wells my surgeon.
had an xray prior to the meeting, which he showed me that all looked good .He explianed about my op and said he was very pleased with the repair it involved a resection of the valve, two new cords to replace the ruptured ones and a C shaped ring. i must Say Mr Wells has been brilliant,he has great surgical skills and also an excellent manner really calm,explians everthing and never rushes,i would highly recommend Papworth hospital to anyone in the UK it realy is first class all the way
He has also said i can stop the warfarin and gave me a plan to ween off it slowly cutting 1mg a day .he even let my wife take a photo as my youngest boy wanted to see who cut me open!
i have also had my cardio rehab assement which was on 3rd dec it lasted the full 3 hours! but it went really quickly first had a treadmill test which involved walking at 3 different speeds up a steep incline did 9 mins total on there which they said was very good.then met with the rehab trainers and had a good talk and went over everthing ,they gave me a heart rate monitor,exercise dvd and relaxation and breathing listening cd .
i start the program proper on the 22nd which will involve a total of 12 weeks attending once a week and doing 2 other sessions a week at home using the DVD
all in all very happy and looking forward to christmas now

Great news Deano... we must have been typing at the same time, because i just posted my post op status also. Im glad were both doing great. Keep up the good work!

Great news! I have to say though, I really don't know why you would have to come off warfarin slowly. It slowly leaves your body anyway. I've never heard of that before. It sounds like your surgeon has a great bedside manner. I like how he included your family.

Now isn't that music to your ears. So glad you had a good check up. I promised myself that I would get a picture with my surgeon once I gte the 'good to go' and am 100% (this is my goal).

Nothing like an early Christmas present. Good luck with the cardiac rehab. I have to take it easy for December, but hope to be starting it in January. You will have to give your thoughts on it.

Best wishes,

thanks guys and yes i thought it was a bit strange to tailor off the warfarin but at least i am getting off it wont miss the blood tests!.
i have uploaded the picture we took yesterday with myself and Mr Wells .i will also post how the cardio rehab goes, from what i have seen and discussed so far it looks worth doing as it gives a good structure to getting back to normal , i am presently walking 3 mile a day and it feels good

I like how you refer to your surgeon as "Mr." Wells. I mean, I really think it sounds so much more approachable than "Dr." Is that your & his agreement or is that more standard practice in your area of the UK?

seems to be standard for uk .although i always called him Frank when i see him in hospital .only changed to Mr Wells when i heard everyone else refer to him that way patients and staff ,so i started to, ,not that he ever seemed to worry always had such a nice calm friendly manner, all the nurses spoke very hghly of Mr wells!

I like how you refer to your surgeon as "Mr." Wells. I mean, I really think it sounds so much more approachable than "Dr." Is that your & his agreement or is that more standard practice in your area of the UK?

I think it is the way they are addressed in many parts of the UK. it took me a while on my CHD list to realize the Mr... the parent would be talking about were the doctors.

Good post op update there, hope all continues ok. Just to clarify the "Mr" vs "Dr" thing in the UK. All doctors are "Dr" by default, though someone who passes their surgery exams and gets to add FRCS after their name (Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons) becomes a "Mr". So your cardiologist will be a "Dr" and your cardiac surgeon will be a "Mr".

Hey Dean, glad to hear the good news. Hope you have a wonderful holiday!

My friend in Sheffield was a general surgeon but now does family practice, I guess she will finally be called a "Dr" : )

Hi, Dean, It was nice to read your follow up report. I am about a month ahead of you in that I started my cardiac exercise program in November. I sort of chaffed at first because the physiologists started me out at a level that seemed too easy. Also, they don't want to discuss any upper body exercise until next week when I reach my 12th week after surgery. On the whole, things have been going very well and my stamina is increasing. I hope you have the same experience. How are you doing otherwise?

Larry

i am feeling good 8 weeks post op and feel normal can walk with no problems easily cover over 3 miles and feel i could do another 3 only problem now is its snowing outside and going down to -6 tonight so will sit round the fire till that clears ,quite looking forward to the cardio rehab they have different coloured badges in the group for intensity of workout think its yellow for light, blue for moderate and green for higher ,they have also given me a heart rate monitor and i will be starting at blue level my heart rate guide for exercise is 114 minimun ,training 119 and max 123 this was all calculated after doing a 9 minute treamill routine ,we also have to use the borg scale to describe how we are feeling at set intervals we record heart rate and borg reading.
ACR yes i refer to my cardio as Dr
i am now off the warfarin so no more blood draws except to get my cholesteral check in the new year my Dr said they do it for all heart patients at 12 weeks as they dont want us back in 10-15 years for bypasses!
happy holidays to everyone have fun

Latest posts

Back