7 days after surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My husband was so strong. Thank god for him, I could not even look at my own scar when the staples were in there. I would get light headed & feel like i am going to pass out.

Nope surgery #3 they glued me. This one was staples.

I'm curious and usually wonder when i see staples these days, so Ill ask you :) Did you know going into surgery they would/might close you with staples, or was it a surprise?

I'm curious and usually wonder when i see staples these days, so Ill ask you :) Did you know going into surgery they would/might close you with staples, or was it a surprise?

was a surprise to me. I had no idea.

Is a staple close an odd thing? I was closed with staples as well. I just assumed it was a usual thing.

I think most people now are closed w/ a type of glue or 'steri-strips" (tape sometme 1 long one, other times short little ones that go across the incision) that don't need removed just fall off. Staples or stitches used to be used most often (always?) a while ago..Which is where the "zipper" description came from since the scars tended to look like a zipper..instead of the (usually) thin line you see in alot of the TOOTs pictures here.
Just to clarify, I'm just talking about the surface/skin closing, usually they use disolving sutures under the skin.

I'm not sure when they started using other ways to close, but Justin's first surgeries were in the late 80s and he never had stitches or staples for any of his main incisions, sometimes had a stitch or 2 where they pulled the drain tubes..actually I think they just used the stitches they put in to hold the tube in place, they didnt sew new stitches there.

Its funny this came up now, since a couple weeks ago one of the members, Jkm, suggested asking the surgeon how they would close you during the preop visit, if you preferred one way over the other

I belive my fisrt 2 OHS 77/82 I had staples. I was young & i think i may have blocked it out. My surgery in 06 i was glued. I assumed that is what i would get again, Imagine my shock when i saw the staples. I have a very weak stomach & i could not even look at my scar. However after thinking about it, I dont care how they close me up i am thankful to be alive !

Latest posts

Back