6 Week Checkup with Cardio Questions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccummins

I am having a checkup with my cardiologist this Friday. I will be at 6-1/2 weeks post op. Are there any questions that you would suggest that I ask him? I am supposed to be starting my cardio rehab in the next couple of weeks. There is a waiting list right now. So, I want to ask if I sho0uld actually be going to rehab. I am walking/jogging 7 miles a day right now. The reason I would want to go is more for stretching, weights and pushing the cardio/my HR. I also want to ask about the beta blockers and if I should still be on them. He indicated he wanted me off eventually. HR is usually in the 60's and BP around 110/75 at 25 mg a day. I am just not sure what else I should be asking about. Suggestions?

If you are walking / jogging 7 miles already, you are probably WAY BEYOND what they will want you to do in Rehab.

You may want to visit, just to see what exercises and stretches they do, then incorporate them in your program at home or a regular gym. I didn't see anyone doing Weight Training in Cardiac Rehab. BTW, be sure to get some guidelines, preferably from your Surgeon, on Weight Limits for the Short Term *and* Long Term.

Your Cardio is the one to talk to about your Meds.

'AL Capshaw'

Cheryl, 7 miles...good for you. I agree with Al that you are probably beyond the need for rehab unless you feel the need for the companionship and support of other heart patients, which many people feel is valuable, others don't seem to need it. I'm 10 weeks post now and walk 3 miles a day but I'm a bit older than you, also have COPD, so feel good at what I've accomplished so far. I'm out here in the Calif. desert and there is not much in the way of cardio rehab without traveling a couple of hours. When I asked my cardio doctor at 5 weeks after surgery, he told me to keep walking, just walk faster and further over the same period of time every day. I much prefer to walk outside so don't have the challenge of much incline, but try to use the treadmill a couple of times a week to accomplish that. I also do the old trick of parking way out in the parking lot, use the stairs instead of elevator if only a couple of stories and all that good, old-fashioned stuff that used to keep people healthy because they did it on a regular basis. Another thing he mentioned was that it is a lot more sanitary doing this in you own environment instead of where people sweat, cough and whatever all over the equipment (and this was weeks before the flu hysteria).

Midge

I am two weeks out today and jealous of your recovery so far. I would love it if you could give me more details of what you did. For distances do you have a pedometer or just kind of know. Is it over 4-5 sessions of walking or do you just take one long walk now. Like I said, I am impressed and would love to follow your guidelines with the hope of being anywhere near where you are at 6 weeks.

Thanks.

Forget rehab, you need to sign up at a gym. Your far beyond anything that rehab will do for you.

WOW! I'm IMPRESSED and agree, you are WAY beyond Cardia Rehab. Now I NEED it as I'm pathetically only up to 15-20 minutes per day and I'm 4-5 weeks post op. I suck! You are doing GREAT and certainly don't need rehab. Keep up the good work!

You seem to be doing great on your own. I went to rehab and it was helpful to me because they detected my PVCs which I was not aware of on my own. You are way ahead. But for weight lifting, it might be a good idea.

I did weight lifting during rehab....10 minutes using the 5 and 7 lbs. only at that time.

My guess is that your cardiologist is going to hear what you've been doing, give a listen to your heart, tell you to keep doing what your doing and send you on your way till same time next year. Your well past needing cardio rehab, I think its primary target are those that need to learn how to exercise, how to use the equipment and such. I just had my one year checkup and my cardio cut my beta blocker dosage in half and told me that as long as I don't have any issues to stop taking it completely in another 4 weeks. For something to compare against, I started at 100mg, cut to 50mg at 6 months, now 25mg.

Keep up the great work !

Latest posts

Back