5 months out

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle D

Hi everyone, its been a while. I thought I'd stop by and update. Well I was doing really well since Thanksgiving and just recently I starting having PVCs again. It could be lack of sleep possibly, I'm not sure, that is the only thing that correlates. I've had guests for New Years and I brought them out sight seeing and did more walking than I've done in the past year so that is good, I can walk a lot so long as its not to fast. I'm going to see my cardio on the 11th and hopefully start getting off some of the meds, particularly the Sotalol. I've slipped up and started smoking ciggarettes again on Christmas (the PVCs started back up before this) and I was going to quit today but I got in a fender bender and slipped, but I will quit, I don't feel fully hooked yet so I'll quit tomorrow. I feel really stupid for starting again, and I have no good excuse. Anyways, I don't get any pains anymore, so I think the Dressler's is in my past. I still feel my sternum creaking sometimes when I take a deep breath when lying on my stomach. I wanted to write this for people that are in the beginning of the healing process, things get better. I've had PVCs forever so it may have nothing to do with my heart so as far as I'm concerned I'm 100% healed up. I feel great and I'm not as upset anymore that I had that surgery. When you are going through the pain and the new sensations of your heart is seems like eternity and you feel you'll never recover, but you will. All I have to remind me of it is the annual echos, the pills I take in the morning and the scar. I hope everyone has a fantastic new year, I'm happy to have the chance to live it.

Michelle, its good to hear from you again. I have been wondering how you have been doing. Dont feel too bad about the smoking, it took me about 5 attempts before I stopped. I am glad to hear that things are going well for you with your repair. Take care and dont be a stranger:) Daren

Good to hear from you Michelle! I am happy that you are doing much better, mentally, emotionally, and physically! I felt the same way when I was in recovery. It can be a REAL roller coaster ride!

Yes, PLEASE quit the cigs. I tell my grown children the same. They definitely don't do you any good, that's for sure.

Have a terrific New year!

Glad your doing better.Sorry about the PVC's.You may want to do a food diary to see if something you eat is triggering them.

glad to hear you are better, but i don't have to tell you to quit smoking asap, you already know that! my pac's stopped completely. it seemed impossible..i never thought they would! its amazing.

Hi Michelle

Glad to hear things are more normal for you. I am 5 months post op too. I have a lot of energy and feel pretty good. Still often need a nap after being really active, but I am much older than you. I just stopped my Multaq and am waiting to see if my a-fib returns. If it does I have the choice of staying on meds or having a ablation. I would prefer not staying long term on meds. My incision is healed, but still a bit itchy and touchy. I don't feel any creaky in my chest. My incision is 4 " long.

Just thought I would stop by and stay Hi since we were almost surgery mates at the Cleveland Clinic!
Pat

Glad to hear yourte feeling better....

New guy here. Im 5-1/2 months post op also. CABG X 6 and Mitral valve repair. Was doing great up until 12-20 before the extended family descended on my otherwise normal world. Started getting PVC's myself, decided to cut out caffeine totally (starting tomorrow) and see where that leads.

I'll let you know if it does the trick....Im thinking i may be experiencing a little anxiety too, but who knows.

Happy 2011 to all

I'm 5 months out tomorrow. Other than aches in my sternum and ribs when I turn over in bed or after exercise (elliptical, or light hand weights) I'm doing excellently. I can run a full agility course with Jet (when it's not raining/snowing/icing). I've quit pampering myself in training to the point I just run - Jet and I have collided and fallen down at least 3 times in the last month (with a little help from a rowdy greyhound from the next class over last week!). I take that as a good thing, because I'm thinking about what I'm DOING, not how I'm FEELING.

Jet and I have 4 agility trials coming up in the next 6 weeks, so we'll be pretty busy. And COLD. That durned metal cattle show barn where they hold the trials is too cold in winter and too hot in summer. But this will be our return to the ring after surgery, and I'm looking forward to it.

Michelle, I'm glad you are feeling better :)
Glad to hear yourte feeling better....

New guy here. Im 5-1/2 months post op also. CABG X 6 and Mitral valve repair. Was doing great up until 12-20 before the extended family descended on my otherwise normal world. Started getting PVC's myself, decided to cut out caffeine totally (starting tomorrow) and see where that leads.

I'll let you know if it does the trick....Im thinking i may be experiencing a little anxiety too, but who knows...

Welcome to the site Skyking :) Sometimes heart medications, especially diuretics, can mess with our mineral balance. Once when I was having some really annoying PVCs, the cardio ran a simple blood test and my minerals were off -- caused by my blood pressure medication. Maybe check with your doctor? Post again and take care :)

Hi everyone, I just had my last ciggarette a little bit ago and I took a shower and washed all my clothes so that I don't smell like it anymore, I've noticed since I started smoking again i have a hard time falling asleep after finally getting back to normal after my surgery. I also sometimes feel my heart pounding harder and faster and I think it is due to smoking. I'm going in for a check up on Tuesday I feel really ashamed that I started smoking again and don't want to tell my cardiologist, but I probably should. Anyways I've only really been smoking for two weeks so it shouldn't be too hard to quit again, and on top of it my grandfather's widow has stage 4 lung cancer so that was a big wake up call since she's a heavy smoker. If I died because of my heart that is one thing, because I didn't cause it, but if I die from lung cancer, boy would I feel stupid. So that's that. I quit. I was feel so good, no PVCs no racing heart beats, no pounding, and though it all came back before I started smoking again I think I've made them worse.

Latest posts

Back