43rd Anniversary on Dec. 10th

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John & Joann

This posting is slightly early, but we have many commitments in the next 2 weeks. Joann has had her aortic and mitral valves installed Dec. 10th, 1971. They were replaced along with 3 bypass in 1999. She has had a pacemaker since 1996. Life has presented many challenges and many wonderful experiences with the mechanical valves. When she goes to the Coumadin clinic, the staff are younger than the time she has lived with the replacement valves. In fact, Joann can not remember life without Coumadin. 12 medications are prescribed to keep Joann at a functional level. The diuretic medication and the slow drip nitro medication have been increased to reduce the respiratory issues and the nitro medication reduces the ache feeling in her chest and shoulder. Challenges include an occasional fall, lack of energy, and the typical issues of older age. (76). For those of you that are new, Joann had rheumatic fever as a younger person. It was not diagnosed until she became pregnant. We have been married for 55 1/2 years and she has known about her disease 4 months after we were married. We were blessed with 1 daughter and 3 grandchildren. An infant son died shortly after birth many years ago.

The medical professionals have told us that further surgery for valves, stent, bypass, etc. will only be done as a last resort. The risk exceeds the benefit. They did suggest a stress test but Joann has refused at this time. Joann also has IBS and discs in her neck that have become very painful. These issues continue to cause problems daily. The Atrial Fib & Atrial Flutter are issues that affect Joann on a regular basis. The pulse often goes as high as 105. Beta Pace (Sotalol) 320mgm is the drug that is currently being prescribed. Amiodarone has been not approved by Joann because of the side effects

We have not had any extended vacations, rv trips, or visits to the grandchildren in the past year. We continue to discuss are yearly 3 months living in the RV at Port Charlotte, Florida. We must make a decision soon. Our friends have included 3 new cats, (long story), our senior cat, and our Border Collie dog.

Our middle grandchild is in her second year of medical school at The University of Pennsylvania. Her interest in medicine is a direct result of the cardiovascular issues that Joann has experienced the past 55 years. She is not certain about her future specialty field. The oldest lives in Brentwood, Tenn. and works as a speech pathologist in Columbia City, Tenn. Kyle, the youngest is in his 3rd year of chemical engineering at Ohio State. Our daughter is a teacher and son in law works for Wilson Football. They live about 5 miles from us and are available if we have issues.

This message is written each year to give encouragement to others that they may see the success that Joann has experienced with her valve replacements. We thank Cleveland Clinic and all of the local physicians and staff that have been with Joann through her medical history.

God Bless all of you!!!!

Thank you so much for the update on Joann, John. She truly is a pioneer and trailblazer for us 'young uns". Despite her challenges, she and you truly are an inspiration to us all. You must be so proud of your children and grandchildren. I am sure all the support and love from you and her family has helped sustain Joann over the years. :)
Wishing you both the very best that life has to offer.

Wishing Joann a Happy 43rd Valversary!

I too can truly empathize with many of the issues plaguing Joann at this time, but I know her strength and perseverance will see her through!
She is truly an inspiration to all!

Stay well!

Good to hear your success story John and I am happy that you have shade the many happy experiences to go with it all.

While some may look at the challenges with sadness or anger you have chosen to see (and tell us of) the happiness whichblossomed out of the difficulty. My own wife was struck down by a brain tumor which only presented itself hours before her death. We had no oopportunity to fight it and to push back against the threats (as an aside in see they are beginning trials of a treatment for glioblastoma which uses a method that has shown great success in development).

I am glad to hear that medicine and science has given you and your wife those 43 years. They are (in each and every day) a gift of life. Indeed it is the same for all of us really, its just those of us with medical conditions see that in plain relief from the background.

I wish you many more happy returns to this anniversary

Congratulations on another valversary! It's always reassuring when you post, John, because it means Joann has hit another yearly milestone. Her story brings hope to all of us, but especially for those in the Waiting room.

Hi John and also JoAnn!

I'm goad to hear that you're both still making your way in this world, but I'm also saddened to hear how difficult it must be for JoAnn. She is really a great example to all of the newer members here, and is one of the longest-term valvers that we know.

This is also the first time I've heard that your son-in-law works at Wilson. If I might ask, which location is he at? I worked at Wilson corporate, in River Grove, Illinois for a few years in the late 1970's, and as part of my job I prepared the monthly financial statements for the plants in Humboldt, Cookeville and Tullahoma, TN, as well as a number of other domestic plants and 9 more in the Republic of Haiti. I worked in what was then called the Team Sports Division, which included football, baseball, basketball, hockey and other "non-individual" sports equipment.

Thank you for sharing this story. I found out about my rheumatic valve the same way, during pregnancy. I am so glad that as far back as 1971 they were able to give Joann so many years of life and all the blessings that have spread from that. That almost seems like a miracle. Congratulations on 55+ years together, I honor your loving care of her.

Latest posts

Back