4 week update

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotttnz

Four weeks ago today I almost died.

Today I am feeling good, much better than I expected to 4 weeks post op. I went to see my gp today, and he has cleared me to drive, and return to work part time.

I plan to start going into work for a couple of hours a day later this week and see how I go. I am very fortunate to have a supportive employer that is happy with whatever works for me. I'll be taking it pretty easy, but am looking forward to the mental stimulation.

I went for a short drive today. It felt SO GOOD! I have my independence back.

My recovery in going better than I expected. I'm suffering some back pain that I'm seeing a physio for tomorrow, and a few other minor things, but overall I'm very happy with my progress. (And so was my doctor) :D

aren't we all just the luckies people around. you sound so good. nearly died! what a comeback you are making. it was longer for me til I could drive, but what peace it is to know you can get in the car all by yourself and just GO! And back to work is also early for you. Best wishes. Blessins...........

Thanks for the update, Scott. I've never been married or lived with anyone so the thought of being so dependent on others for weeks after surgery is troubling even if the people who will be in to help are my friends and family. It is heartening to hear you are up on your feet and regaining some sense of independence.

Wow!
Isn't it nice to have a understanding employer? Sure does relive the stress doesn't it?
Sounds like your doing very well, but remember you still have to be good to yourself ok?
Take Care and be Good!

Thanks everyone. A quick update.

I'm still doing well, but have had a few secondary problems:

My gp refered me to a physiotherapist for my back pain. He was excellent. Turned out he used to work on the cardio ward at Christchurch hospital, so knew all about the back problems heart patients commonly have after surgery. He was also familiar with warfarin, and sternum issues, so I didn't need to explain it all to him. He gave me a great massage, and some stretching excercises to do, which have really helped.

The cardio ward had refered me to have a dental check up, which resulted in me having a wisdom tooth removed on friday. What a nightmare! It was a really stubborn tooth, that took a long time to break up and remove. They couldn't get the second root out, so I'll probably have to go back for another try. On friday night I had some serious pain, the codine the dentist gave me just wasn't doing the job. I ended up going down to the A&E for a voltaren injection, which did the trick, so I was able to get some sleep. I'm feeling much better today, although still a bit sore and swollen, but can now open my mouth enough to eat.

Hopefully I'll be up to going to work on Monday again.

Hi Scott,

Glad to see you are doing well. I saw a couple of your other posts and it seem like we have similar "issues", not major ones, but annoying ones. I'm 6 weeks post op and have the same back pain, and also I cannot get the clicking out of my head either. It's a constant reminder of what I went through and I find it hard to move on completely with this persistant noise in my head. I love that I can drive again too, great feeling! What stretching did the Dr recommend for your back, I can't seem to get right.

Hi Scott,

Glad to see you are doing well. I saw a couple of your other posts and it seem like we have similar "issues", not major ones, but annoying ones. I'm 6 weeks post op and have the same back pain, and also I cannot get the clicking out of my head either. It's a constant reminder of what I went through and I find it hard to move on completely with this persistant noise in my head. I love that I can drive again too, great feeling! What stretching did the Dr recommend for your back, I can't seem to get right.

Thanks Alex.

My back pain has been in my upper back, and across my shoulders, mainly due to tightness at the top of my chest wound pulling my head forward and down. The two excercises he gave me are
1) Raise my head and tilt back as far as you can, looking at the ceiling, hold for 2 seconds, the dropyou head back to it's normal position. Repeat 10 times as often as youremember during the day. This causecd abit of discomfort in my wound, but that subsided, andit has made a big difference to my back.
2) With your head in the straight ahead position, place your left hand on the top of your head and gently pull the top of your head to the left, tilting your headleft and stretching the trapezius. Change to the right side, and repeat 10times each side.

I don't know how well I have descibed those excersises, and would advise seeinga physiotherapist yourself. The first one in particular has really helped, not just with my back, but also reduced the tightness in my chest, which has helped me improve my posture.

Scott great to see you are doing well. I am 5 weeks post-op and was cleared to drive last week also. It was awesome! Didn't think having to be driven around would be so aggravating. Having some issues as well. No much back pain but i have been told some fluid build up (they tell me it is normal) but put me on some meds. The clicking also gets a little annoying especially at night when it is quiet. I think posture is a huge part of the back pain. I find myself very often scrunching my shoulders to help "protect" my chest. Was a huge problem immediately after surgery. Had back pain then but the better i got with my posture the back pain seemed to alleviate. Again great to hear your progress.

Latest posts

Back