3rd day and I'm home!!!!!!!!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texsc

Well today was a good day did alot of walking and on my IS machine all day. My surgeon said there is no reason why I couldnt go home. He said I am acting like its my 6th day post-op. He left it up to me whether I stay or go. That was a no brainer. He told not to expect the whole recovery to be this easy but it was a good sign.

Thanks for all prayers and I will keep you posted.

Well another record! Great news that you are heading home. However, take it easy. Recovery is a 'process' and the last thing you want to do is push your limits. Breath, walk and rest.
Wishing you a continued smooth recovery.

I guess we all sound like your mother. Be gentle with yourself and really try to resist pushing the limits until your wounds are healed. Compared to most, I, too, had a pretty easy recovery then, I got ambitious and discovered that you can run up against your limits pretty easily and even discover some you didn't know were there. I am amazed that you were up to leaving the hospital on day three but as most discover, there really isn't anything special that the hospital does for you when there are no complications at least after ones looses the tubes and wires. Let us know how things are going with you in a few days.

That is great texsc. Did you have your surgery in SC?

I am just a few days ahead of you in recovery. Let's challenge each other to follow the advice of those on this forum and stay well within our limits here for the early days of recovery. I have found a couple of naps during the day really help me. It also helps that I am a big basketball fan!

Great news, Congratulations.

PLease be extra careful to resist the temptation to do too much. It is easy to think you can but then pay the price. Take it slow and easy.

For the first week home, eat, sleep, breath and walk. The rewards are great.

There's no place like home...
There's no place like home...

Three and out is the way I like it, too. Good for you.

Remember that for a short while, you'll have no energy reserves. When you run out of energy, you'll just fold. When you go to walk somewhere, try to pick routes that give you options to stop and sit if you need to. Start with shorter routes that let you go twice if you want to, and can quit to rest if you can't. There will be good energy days and bad ones for a bit. You may do five miles with no sweat on Tuesday and be hobbling after one on Wednesday - there's no rhyme or reason to it. Make sure you have a cell phone with you. Caution: remember that there are no public rest rooms in the suburbs.

Best wishes,

Dont worry about me taliking it easy. Between my wife (Mrs. Cleaver) my 3 daughters, and my mom and dad who live next door you would think I was still in ICU. They are waiting on me hand and foot. Needless to say I have a great support group at home.

Did a walk down the street today and getting around the house easily. I know this isnt going to be a cake-walk but I was expecting alot worse. My Dr. told me everyone heals differently, I am one of the lucky ones this time. Next time it could be the exact opposite.

I'm excited about going to church tomorrow. Finally get to thank the Big Man instead of asking for something. This really opened my eyes to how much I have to be thankful for.

I will keep ya'll updated, I should have plenty of time.

Awesome texsc, that you're home in just 3 days! Wow. As for myself, I wasn't ready to go home until the 7th day! Of course begging to go home at that point, lol. And I'm SO glad you have such good support at home! That's very needed. I remember the first few days, I needed help to get out of bed! LOL. I can laugh about it now, but at the time, it wasn't so funny :) . Anyway, congrats to you with wishes of speedy recovery! ~Karen

I was still in ICU on the third day, too. Glad you're home. Be sure to listen to Mrs. Cleaver and don't listen to Eddie or Lumpy.

Hey texsc. I went to medical school in Columbia and am interested in who did your surgery. Did you have it done in SC?

Had the Surgery done at Trident Hospital in North Charleston. Its a small hospital but I was very pleased with my experience there with the exception of one nurse. She seemed to think I didnt need very much pain medication 5 hours after my surgery. Well 30 minutes after shift change I felt great.

My surgeon was Dr. James Benner. He is what I consider a young Dr (44). Everyone I talked to about him said he was a first class surgeon. I am very happy with him as well.

Today was my hardest day yet. My chest has hurt worse today than any other day. Last night before bed I took a drink of water and it went down the wrong pipe and I coughed VERY hard. I cant really describe the pain, it was awful. So I'm just taking it easy around the house today. I did manage to get6 hours of solid sleep last night which is 4 more than any other night.

Thanks again I will post more tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back