2nd MVR Next Week and Getting Nervous

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kasper

Hi Everyone,

I've been off and on this site for almost 10 years now and must say the support is amazing!

Had my first MVR with a bioprosthetic valve in 2002 at age 25. I was hoping to have kids and then get my mechanical. Well, just got married, no kids yet, and it's already time for the mechanical. I'm not too symptomatic (only fatigue with exertion) but had an ablation for A Fib last year and have had some short episodes of V Tach the past few months along with the stenosis and severe leakage. Scheduled to get an on-x mitral valve plus have a maze procedure next week. Was relieved when it got scheduled a few weeks ago and was ready to get it done....now am getting scared. A 2nd valve surgery at age 34 isn't what I was hoping for, but I know so many of you out there have been through so much more! Guess I'm just looking for some support to get through this again. Trying hard to stay strong for my husband and family but remembering waking up intubated, the chest tubes, the IV lines, and the pacing wires aren't my fondest memories! Anyone out there who's had a mechanical mitral plus maze....how was the recovery? My ablation recovery last year was tougher than expected so I'm worried about the maze....want to do it though to stay out of A Fib. Thanks!!

God Bless,

Kristie
Austin, TX

Kristie, hopefully the past ten years have brought new surgical advancements and the recovery will be easier for you. I did not wake up until after the tube was out so maybe you won't this time either.
You'll be in my thoughts and prayers until we hear from you post-op.
In the meantime, best wishes for a successful replacement/maze procedure, and a bump free recovery.
Godspeed!
Mary

Kristie,

I will be thinking of you as you go through this second surgery. I can't help with the recovery question, as I have only had one AVR and aneurysm. Good luck and I look forward to hearing of your quick and uneventful recovery.

Good luck, Kristie. I know this is not everyone's experience but I had absolutely no pain when they removed the chest tubes and pacer wires. I found out when they were coming around to " do the deed" and asked for pain meds ahead of time. It worked - for me, anyhow....just a thought.

Kristie, congratulations on the marriage:thumbup:Now think positive, and there is plenty of support here you. Good luck, and i will be praying for. It will all be ok!!!

Thanks everyone for the words of support and prayers!! Much, much appreciated!

I don't remember everything about the breathing tube from last time....just vaguely recall it being very uncomfortable. My mom told me I kept stretching my neck upward like I wanted to pull it out!

Kristie

kristie, stay positive and everything will be alright. Not sure how your recovery went last time, but since you already went through this once, this time might be even better.

Latest posts

Back