1st Century

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doberman

I wasn't planning on it but I rode my first 100 miler yesterday, finished in 5 hours 8 minutes. The ride was a fund raiser. At any rate, not trying to brag but I am pretty happ at 52 post surgery to be able to do this. Next week a 50 miler up and down the local escarpment, this one is a race.
One of the reasons I post this stuff is to encourage those who may be in line to have O.H.S. When I was first diagnosed and realized i required surgery I was in a bit of a panic. I visited this site and read about some dude that was weight lifting post surgery and I thought, wow there is my inspiration. I might just make it though this.
thanks V.R.

best wishes to all, athletes or not.
J

Hi, John, I was slow getting back on my bike after surgery, then, this year we had the hottest summer on record so I've not ridden much in these past few months. It is good to hear of someone else who is back doing longer rides. Before all of this started becoming a problem, I rode the Hotter'n Hell Hundred in Wichita Falls several times but the hot weather seemed to be more of a problem this year. I never came close to 5 hours. Maybe next time.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Larry

Yes it is encouraging to see post valve players getting back into the game. My home care nurses must have been malpractice lawyers in their previous lives. They didn't want me to do anything more than spit into a cup.

I started cardio rehab today at five weeks post op. The therapists are good, one is an ultra marathoner. I have been independently walking the beach using common sense and a heart rate monitor. Now I finally have some guidance regarding a sensible recovery; while feeling safe about getting back into running.

Doberman,

Very cool. I'm a cyclist myself and I hope that I will be able to do many centuries after my OHS. I can still ride OK now but have noticed some slowing over the last year which is most likely due to the insufficiency in my BAV. I'm planning to have surgery this November with On-X + graft

Keep biking!
-Steve

I have limited knowledge but usually knee strain is a result of a seat that is too high or too low, you can look it up on line. Generally a very small adjustment can make a difference, even 1/8". Good luck in the future keep on riding!

I can see my surgery date on my profile, not sure why it would not be visible to others. I will try and add it to my signature thanks!

Knee strain on bike - as a general rule: If the pain is in the calf or back of the knee, the seat may be too high. Pain in the front of the knee may indicate the seat is too low. Of course, these symptomes can be caused by other things as well. Doberman: Excellent performance on your century. I've only done one since my surgery and it had 4800 feet of ascent, which makes a 5 hour century a tough mark given that I only logged 3000 miles last year. I came in at 5 hours and 41 minutes. If I could get in some higher base miles I know I could get close to 5 hours on that same century. But to your point, we're not weaklings. My surgery hasn't been an obstacle for me. Keep up the good work!

century

century

What advise does the cardio doctor have for your racing? It feels really good to know you can still ride fast and far.

HI my G.P tells me I have to exercise, I feel a bit tentative at times as I think my heart can not go as hard as the rest of my body. Might be my mind playing tricks on me. Thanks everyone for the feedback.
regards,
J
What advise does the cardio doctor have for your racing? It feels really good to know you can still ride fast and far.

And I have found quite the opposite. I have yet to get my body back in good enough shape to really challenge my heart.
HI my G.P tells me I have to exercise, I feel a bit tentative at times as I think my heart can not go as hard as the rest of my body. Might be my mind playing tricks on me. Thanks everyone for the feedback.
regards,
J

Latest posts

Back