1st Anniversary

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougLR

I had my bicuspid and mitral valves repaired at Brigham and Women's Hospital on 11/02/11. The first few months of recovery were difficult, but cardiac rehab. classes at Marlborough Hospital helped a lot. I had a scare in June when my INR went from 3.2 to 5.9 in a few days and I needed six units of blood. The doctors didn't know why the sudden change occurred. I have my own PT/INR meter now and check it every week.

Congratulations on your valversary! INR does strange things all the time. Not to worry. Big changes in coumadin dosage are to be avoided so as to stay off the INR roller coaster from high INR to low INR. Six units of blood is extreme. After nearly 11 years on coumadin, I wouldn't go near an ER for only 5.9. Hope everything is back to normal now.

Happy 1st! It's a special one. Wishing you may more years of good health!

Roberta is right. The first anniversary is special, so I hope you get a chance to enjoy it. Then after that, I sincerely hope that you also get a chance to enjoy many, many more!

Thanks Jim. The strange thing was that I didn't change anything, including Coumadin dosage or food, and had consistent INR for over twenty years. I think it was due to stopping other medications a month earlier, but none of the doctors could (or would) confirm that. I'm a Quality Engineer, so not knowing the root cause of the problem has been frustrating.

Latest posts

Back