18 Years today

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flex131

Hello

I really don't come here allot but I wanted to share with others....

Today marks 18 years since AVR (St Jude Valve) I was 22 when it got replaced. No issues so far. The only minor thing was my heart got a little weak in 2011. My output was a little low. I am now taking 5mg of Lisinopril to help my heart. Now my heart is back to full force. My goal is to surpass dick0236 :) Dick if you read this, I just wanted to say thanks. When I read your post like 5 years ago it gave me such much comfort knowing we can live a long time after AVR...
This is why I posted my Anniversary to help other.

Thanks
Flex

Hello

I really don't come here allot but I wanted to share with others....

Today marks 18 years............ My goal is to surpass dick0236 :)

Congratulations Flex......and I certainly hope that you surpass me......but I ain't done yet and I'm gonna set the bar a little higher for you. I appreciate that "long timers" like you continue to post their anniversaries.....it HAS to help the newbie accept that there is a lot of life left AFTER OHS.

Thanks for your post. It is reassuring to the rest of us to see you and Dick write. We get so focused on surgery during the months before and after replacement that it doesn't seem we might ever live without its shadow coloring our lives. I can say I didn't imagine four years on that I could go days without thinking about my heart because life gets in the way. You and Dick remind us of the real point of all this - surgery is just a bridge to a new and better life.

Larry

Thank you all

Larry - surgery is just a bridge to a new and better life. You hit that on the money.
Dick -Yes set the bar real high, ill be keeping an eye on you... LOL
njean - I read your signature.. All I can say is WOW.

Hey Flex,

Mega congrats on number 18. I just hit the 15-year mark so it always heartening to see others out there in "double digits." : )

Take care and here's to another healthy 18 years for you.

Cheers!

Mega congrats on number 18. I just hit the 15-year mark so it always heartening to see others out there in "double digits." : )
Cheers!

These are the important posts for anyone looking to have this surgery....or who has recently had it. At the risk of being a little melodramatic I remember how lonely and frightened I felt and how I kept waiting for the "other shoe to drop" back in the "olden days". Thank God for the Internet and forums such as this one where information and the support of a world wide community of folks who have "been there, done that" is instantly available.....beats the hell out of trying to decipher medical journals.

I know what you mean, Dick. The Internet has its downside but can be an source of important information and support.

I'm a great example of that. I had aneurysm repair along with my AVR. My yearly echos were always fine but then I read right here on VR.com that I could possibly develop another aneurysm because of my BAV and connective tissue disease.

I mentioned this to my cardio and suggested we check further. Lo and behold, a CT scan showed an ascending aortic aneurysm that wasn't visible on the echo. It's 4.5 cm but I'm very small so I imagine it will need repaired before the normal 5.0 cm threshold. I now have a yearly CT along with my echo to keep track of it.

So if not for the Internet, and especially the wonderful people at VR.com, I would not have known I have an aneurysm and who knows what would have happened. For that, I am incredibly grateful.

It's so great to know you've done so well with your valve. What a inspiration. : )

Hope everyone's doing well. Cheers!

These are the important posts for anyone looking to have this surgery....or who has recently had it. At the risk of being a little melodramatic I remember how lonely and frightened I felt and how I kept waiting for the "other shoe to drop" back in the "olden days". Thank God for the Internet and forums such as this one where information and the support of a world wide community of folks who have "been there, done that" is instantly available.....beats the hell out of trying to decipher medical journals.

I wholeheartedly agree with you Dick. When I was facing my surgery, way back when, I too felt so lonely and needed so desperately to talk to someone that could offer inspiration, hope, knowledge, to help soothe my fears..

How lucky and how blessed people are now because there is so much information/forums out there to help them make informed decisions and hear from the mouths of experience that YES, life does go on after OHS!

Latest posts

Back