12 Weeks! But a Setback!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike1952

Yesterday was 12 weeks since my AVR! I am feeling pretty well but last week travelled to France for work. Upon arrival, I exercised 4 days on an exercise bike. I started having chest pains and finally went to a pharmacy to ask for advice. The pharmacist gave me some aspirin/lycine which helped. I think I was exhausted. After sleeping a lot, I am back home now and feeling much better. But, I am feeling a little vulnerable! I guess it takes time to recover, as many on this forum have advised!

Mike,

Congratulations on reaching the 3 month mark, but sorry to hear of your issues while abroad. I really liked reaching the 3 month milestone, I was cleared to return to all of my activities and sports, and pretty much did, but that didn’t mean I felt 100% all of the time nor didn’t need to pace myself on strenuous tasks. I imagine you being across the Atlantic and tackling a larger than normal work assignment and doing physical workouts at the same time kind of got the best of you, but only temporarily. Traveling can suck your batteries probably for another month as you continue to build your stamina. I remember before my 8th week driving up to help an ailing relative during the busy Christmas holidays, it was my first long drive in heavy traffic and on the drive home I was surprised how exhausted I felt. Although you’re at a great spot in your recovery, if you ever feel any abnormal pain then certainly get it checked out, but it sounds like you’re doing well and back to most of your activities.

So sorry to read you had trouble while abroad, but it's good to read that you're feeling better now. Don't underestimate the amount of rest your body still needs even 12 weeks out from avr. Best wishes, Mary

Thanks, Forrest and Mary! I actually had another bout with the chest pain yesterday. I think it may be related to caffeine. In Europe, we drank coffee at breaks and expresso at lunch. Yesterday, I drank quite a bit of coffee since I was off work and had a caffeinated soda during the football game. I will experiment with no caffeine (quite a sacrifice for me!) and see how that works out.

Mike - Chest pain is something that is worth checking into. What sort of pain? Is it like anything you've ever had before?

It could be nothing. It could be that you're over-doing the exercise - especially after hoofing it through airports with bags, etc. It might be something of concern. I would discuss it with your cardio or their assistant to find out if they want to see you.

On the other hand, at 12 weeks, I was just barely cleared to start cardiac rehab, and would not have been able to travel internationally, much less hustle on an exercise bike while there.

With something like chest pain, I would rather be safe than sorry.

Never ignore chest pain.......... but we all know that, don't we? :)
Were it me, I'd have it checked out just for peace of mind if nothing else.

I am getting an ultrasound on Monday, the 12th so I'm kind of holding out until then. I had similar symptoms about a month ago and went in to the cardiologist. My BP, HR, was normal. He did an EKG and saw nothing so he was kind of puzzled. He didn't think it was a heart attack, because I have no blockages in any veins or arteries and I'm able to walk a vigorous 5 miles easily. Hopefully, the ultrasound will reveal something.
In training for marathons, I never had any chest pains, it was always my legs that would give out so this is new to me. I'm hoping it is just the healing process and maybe I'm pushing it a little too much (my google research on caffeine made it seem unlikely to cause what I'm feeling).
Anyway, thank you as always for the concern and suggestions. I will post an update after the ultrasound!

Hey Mike, you said that you drank a lot of coffee, which a anywhere has a lot of caffine, which is not good for the heart. Even here, try to get on the caffine free wagon. It will mellow you out for sure, it does to me on the soda front, diet type of course. Caffine speeds up the heart rate. So if you could try to get on the caffine free wagon, you heart will be happy you did. Good luck with the training and hugs for today. And push yourself too hard. Just get into shape without hurting yourself.9

Hey Mike, you said that you drank a lot of coffee, which a anywhere has a lot of caffine, which is not good for the heart. Even here, try to get on the caffine free wagon. It will mellow you out for sure, it does to me on the soda front, diet type of course. Caffine speeds up the heart rate. So if you could try to get on the caffine free wagon, you heart will be happy you did. Good luck with the training and hugs for today. And push yourself too hard. Just get into shape without hurting yourself.9

Yes, you are right, I should give up the coffee, at least most of it. Maybe a cup or two in the morning would be ok. I know it would be good for my heart. I did get an ultrasound today, but it didn't show any problems that would explain the pain I have been feeling after three or four days of consecutive exercise. My cardiologist is stumped at the moment. I called the local cardio rehab office and spoke with a nurse. She thought it might be related to a wire in the sternum or something. She didn't think the heart was the problem. I am to continue exercise and notify the doctor immediately if the pain returns.
I wonder if it did happen to be related to sternum wires, would they be able to remove those without doing another open heart surgery?
Or, maybe it is something that is not quite healed that will eventually go away. As a person who has routinely exercised for thirty minutes or more a day at least 5 days a week, this is frustrating!

Latest posts

Back