10 weeks, starting to feel really good!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex B

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I got a couple PMs asking for updates, so here goes. I went back to work about week 6 and got a new job week 8, so I've been very busy in my new job and working long hours and all that, so I wasn't on here for a couple weeks.

At 8 weeks post-op they told me I could start lifting weights, but to slowly progress, they didn't give me any more of a guideline than that. So week 9 I lifted 5 lb dumbells and tried some different lifts, like shoulder press, arm curls. I then waited 3 days to see if I got sore. I did not, so I increased the weight a little and have been lifting weights every other day. I'm up to 25 lb dumbells, (50 lbs total) for various lifts, but I think I could do more, I'm just starting slow. I'm more focused on my cardio at this point. I started jogging last week, and I'm up to 2 miles every other day. Including the warm-up walk and cool down it takes me about 25 minutes, so a very slow pace of about 5.7 mph during the jog.

I created a log to track my jogging progress, but I don't have a good goal yet, any advice? I'm a "new" runner, since I was never able to sustain even a slow jog in my prior life. I'm also not sure about duration/distance/time/frequency. I've been doing every other day for 20-25 minutes, but I was going to try to increase the duration up to 35-40 minutes or so (need to keep it under an hour including clean-up), since I only get an hour lunch break. The good news is the gym at work has treadmills and free weights for no charge, not bad huh! I'm also unsure about optimal heart rate for patients such as us during a cardio exercise. I've noticed that I'm usually around the 160 bpm mark during the jog.

Other things I've noticed:
- Sharp intakes of breath has stopped, last one was probably 7 weeks
- Ticking noise has decreased considerably, I can still hear it, but it isn't as overpowering as it used to be. I'm not sure if I'm getting used to it more, or if it has dulled? Either way I'm happy
- I'm sleeping all night now, and can sleep on my stomach. The faded ticking helps, I also got a new memory foam mattress from costco (sams club) and I've been quite pleased with it.
- Muscles: I noticed my legs get sore and tired from running before I get short of breath, which is awesome, but not something I'm used to, since I used to play basketball for over an hour every day and usually didn't get sore at all. I'm doing warm-up and stretching after, but I'm not sure if there are some other things I should be doing? Are there some stretches I should be doing cold? Particularly in my shins and calfs.
-Weight: Through all of this my weight has fluctuated very little. I'm 6'1 and weigh 190 lbs. I was 191 the day of the surgery and at week 1 I was 190 lbs. Despite starting to jog now I'm still at 190. I only want to lose about 10 lbs so it's not a big deal, but I thought they would dissapear immediately!

Hey Alex,

Congrats on the recovery so far, sounds like things are going well.

If you are just getting into running and have an IPOD, you might want to check out the NIKE IPOD running kit. Costs about $30 and is pretty cool. A sensor goes into your shoe (you can buy theirs or use your own) and the receiver plugs into the IPOD. You will calibrate it the first time you use it and then that is it. It is actually pretty accurate. You can listen to your music and while you are running, it will you updates whenever you want - speed, distance, pace, and how much further if you programmed it for a specific distance. When you plug your IPOD into your computer, it then downloads all you running data to the NIKE website. There, you can chart and graph your totals, as well as set goals and check your progress. Pretty good way to stay motivated.

Hi Alex,
Sounds like your're doing just great! Your taking it slowly, with the exercise. That's very wise. You don't want to do too much, too soon! Yes stretching is always a good idea. Ask one of the trainers at your gym for assistance.

I do believe your heart valve is actually getting quieter. I had a tissue valve implanted, but my goodness, was it loud for the first few months! Just pounding! So I imagine it is the same with the mechanical, only you hear the clicking too.

Keep up the terrific progress! Good to hear from you!

Alex, it is good to hear from you. So far, I have been surprised to find that my own progress somewhat mirrors your own. At 3 weeks, I can walk 1.5-2 miles several times a day without getting exhausted. Thinking about lifting weights is still a little daunting as my chest muscles are still easily strained. I look forward to getting back to the gym in a couple of weeks. Let us know how your are doing once in awhile.

Awesome progress Alex! I'm 6 weeks out myself and and using 15lb dumbbells for arms, shoulder & squats. But I'll wait until at least January before trying any type of bench press or pushups, having that sternum heal completely & correctly is very important.

Monday I ran a 5k in just under 30 minutes but I have been a runner for a while now your pace is good keep it up & if you can add more distance as your body allows you to.

I second the advice for the Nike+ system, I use it on my iPhone 3GS & absolutley love it, it tracks everything & lays it out in a nice easy to use format.

Does that Nike thing work with the iTouch? I have a 2nd generation iTouch that I use while working out. It does sound cool, and I live REALLY close to the Nike headquarters (in Beaverton, OR) and could probably get an employee price on it, since my good friend's wife works there.

-later

Alex, sounds like your doing great! Im only a week out, but i hope im doing as well as you when i get to your mark.... Keep it up, your inspiring.

Alex ... wow! Awesome! For me, I prefer one of the heart rate sensors that you wear across your chest that works with the treadmill. Of course that is because my heart rate is always my issue ... came from cardiac rehab. I have mine set to beep me as soon as my HR hits 170. That is when I stop. I still feel fine at that rate but my rehabbers said that was as high as I should go. Keep going ... you're doing so great!

Mine is Nike by the way ...

nice, that sounds cool. I'm curious about the HR thing. My HR (as I posted above), typically climbs over 180 while jogging, but I feel fine, not dizzy or lightheaded or anything, I'm curious if anyone thinks I'm pushing it, by letting my HR get as high as 185.

Latest posts

Back