1 year post-op today

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R1Phrankey

A small update after exactly 1 year.

May 20th 2014 I had my aortic valve replaced with a mechanical valve. A Sorin bicarbon slimline for the people who want to know. :) This Sorin valve is european (I am from the Netherlands, Europe) and used as standard brand by the surgeon. I did not know upfront which brand would be used.

Today I was thinking about the surgery. One year ago the heart-lung machine was my best friend and I must say that the surgery was without any complications. I have had a mini-AVR, a 3" incision at the sternum.
Before surgery I did some road cycling and I picked this up approx. 5 weeks after surgery. Starting with slow 30 minute rides, gradually extending these rides to 2 hours or more about 2 months later.
My physical condition is now back to what it was before surgery and I am happy that everything is okay. Happy to go cycling 4 times a week without any issues.

I was allowed to stop with the beta blocker 3 months after surgery and the only medication I have nowadays is the warfarin.
I do the INR home monitoring with the Coagucheck XS and INR is nicely in range for the last couple of months (INR range is 2.5 - 3.5).

Only issue I have had for more than 10 months is sternum pain. In the beginning it was a severe rib pain, but last couple of months it was more the sternum and probably caused by the wire that is used. However, last 2 months the sternum pain is completely gone (knock on wood).

Next visit to my cardiologist is in October this year. Very curious about the outcome of the ECG and Echo. Hopefully these will be okay.
Looking back the surgery was without complications, and I have picked up my life again and to be honoust: I hope I can keep it to 1 OHS and that this valve will last for a very long time (I am 48 now).

regards,

Frank

Congrats on your very successful surgery and thank you for the detailed update! I am having surgery tomorrow (Friday) for an ascending aortic aneurysm so good to know there were no complications with yours--other than the sternum pain (which I hope you've seen the last of). :)

Latest posts

Back