You're on Warfarin, a disaster hits, You can no longer obtain it, What can you do?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At one time, warfarin was used as an ingredient in rat poison. In essence, the rats bled to death internally in response to the warfarin.

More recently, natural selection created rats that were not effected by warfarin, so other poisons are being used.

But back to the original question: If there were no supplies of warfarin, it wouldn't be available to put into rat poison, either. (Rat poison probably has other nasty stuff, so you may not be getting straight, measurable doses of warfarin even if you chose to gamble with rat poison instead of going without warfarin).

In theory, any hepatotoxic (liver poisoning) substance could increase your INR -- but it doesn't make a lot of sense to kill your liver just so your blood doesn't clot around your valve.

I could be mistaken, but I wasn't assuming the OP meant "unavailable, for ever" ... but was thinking of some sort of disaster ... say, Korean attack leading to disruption of supply chains

In that case, it's not a bad idea just to keep a 6 or 12 month supply. It wouldn't hurt to have a supply of test strips and batteries. I don't think that there are any truly reliable alternatives that provide the somewhat predictable effects of warfarin.

I don't believe in the first scenario, but I do believe it is possible to have a disruption of weeks, look at hurricanes, tsunamis, earthquakes, tornados, etc. For that reason, I try to keep myself one month ahead on all of my maitenance medications. I also keep a filled prescription for an antibiotic and pain killer for the same reason.

I sort of disagree. It has only been in the last 100 or so years where we have taken real strides in progress. I would argue that the reason more humans exist now is the benefits in stuff like:
* basic hygene (washing your hands) in removing disease
* clean and abundant water supply
* effective and efficient waste disposal (we're not up to our necks in feces)
* much more abundant food supply (first the agricultural revolution, then the industrial revolution, and then modern transport helped that)
* the treatment of infections with (at first) sulpha drugs, and later antibiotics

I guess that depends if you want to include vaccinations, antibiotics, knowledge of bacteria and germs, etc. in modern medicine. If you include all of that in the definition of modern medicine (only the last 100 -200 years of human existence), then my premise is a fair one. If you only include invasive medical procedures and consider all of the above as normal progress, then you’re correct.

Me too, I had my first OHS at about 10 so it’s unlikely I'd have made 20. Even less certain that I would have attracted a mate.

Which is exactly what I meant by “severe presentation”: A presentation that removes a person from the gene pool prior to having an opportunity to procreate. Those with more minor presentations would procreate, so I’m not arguing that BAV would disappear completely. There would still be other mutations as well, so an occasional individual would die in youth due to some defect.

There is a bunch of thought in this area, one such branch of that is called Eugenics. One could argue that it was the influence of the Eugenics movement which perverted the Nazi party in the 1930's.

Eugenics is quite dated. It was more of a philosophy of intentional directed evolution that forcefully removed bad genes from the human race as well as directed breeding for intelligence and physical ideals. This is not at all what I’m referring to. My thought was just more of a ‘what if we didn’t intervene at all’?

In the end it didn't matter. My wife passed away and I don't have children.

Sorry to hear that. I offer my condolences.

Hoping not to be too insensitive here – but conversely, I have five children, two of which demonstrate a very mild presentation of BAV. Their presentation presents no concerns about them living long enough to procreate. They might need a replacement in their 40’s or 50’s the way things look now. These wonderful kids would not be in the gene pool were it not for my first surgery.

In theory, any hepatotoxic (liver poisoning) substance could increase your INR -- but it doesn't make a lot of sense to kill your liver just so your blood doesn't clot around your valve.

Depends. What if you get five years with liver poisoning vs. one year without? Would you gamble? Perfectly healthy people kill their livers all the time, with nothing to show for it. At least we would have a reason!

This thread is interesting. I always figured I'd find a pharmacy that was still standing and go and find my warfarin, and just help myself.
Just recently, I began taking 2 tylenol extra strength twice a day every day to help with hip pain. Even though our docs think it doesn't affect INR, it raised mine from 2.5 to 3.4 in a week.
I adjusted my warfarin, and it came down to 3.0. Then, I decided to switch to Aleve, 1or 2 tab daily ( sometimes I can't remember if I've taken it) and it has stayed at 3.0.
Would nsaids plus a baby aspirin be enough to cover us if we couldn't get warfarin? If we could get nsaids?
I have been getting my warfarin at Walmart for awhile now. Not using my drug plan. I'm sure my cardio would be fine with me getting even a year supply in advance. It's cheap enough. I do this with metroprolol, too.
I keep at least a 3 mos supply in advance. Not much help, but worth considering.

Hi

firstly I should make it clear that this is an area in which I have a degree and a research masters. So I'm not your typical 'in my opinion' sort of poster.

I guess that depends if you want to include vaccinations, antibiotics, knowledge of bacteria and germs, etc. in modern medicine. If you include all of that in the definition of modern medicine (only the last 100 -200 years of human existence), then my premise is a fair one. If you only include invasive medical procedures and consider all of the above as normal progress, then you’re correct.

firstly let me put into perspective the situation with respect to vaccinations. If we put the US population pre-vaccination availablity at about 200 Million then the following figures seems to stand out as being quite relatively small

Before polio vaccine was available, 13,000 to 20,000 cases of paralytic polio were reported each year in the United States.

An average of 450 measles-associated deaths were reported each year between 1953 and 1963

so taking the higher number in there for paralysis (not death rates) it gives about 0.1 person death per thousand.

Even in the USA the effects of simply providing clean water and sewerage systems is misunderstood by most people. For instance:

In their recent article, "The Role of Public Health Improvements in Health Advances: The Twentieth Century United States,"1 Cutler and Miller conclude that clean water technologies, filtration and chlorination, were responsible for nearly half of the total mortality reduction in major cities between 1900 and1936, with even greater impact on infant and child mortality rates during that same time period. Significantly, these technologies led to the near-eradication of typhoid fever, the waterborne disease that was one of the major scourges of that era.

so clean water alone is the "low hanging fruit" which halved mortality rates. Not bad. Then there is hygene and the other things I mentioned. These ALL stem from the understanding of bacteria and the work of men like Pasteur. (Pasteurized milk for instance). So knowing about germ theory is critical to the discovery of these things.

Entero-bacter (ones which come from your bowel) still represent the major human pathogens today. E coli and skin bacteria such as (my old friend) Staphylococcus aureus.

Hospitals are realising that simple handwashing between patients has a profound effect (see nosocomial infection).

you go on to say...

Eugenics is quite dated. It was more of a philosophy of intentional directed evolution that forcefully removed bad genes from the human race as well as directed breeding for intelligence and physical ideals.

true ... none the less it ties in with this discussion and the ideas of genetic engineering have quite a number of eugenecists as their founding fathers.

This is not at all what I’m referring to. My thought was just more of a ‘what if we didn’t intervene at all’?

My feeling is that the situation is such that with greater and greater sedentary positions in work, the greater use of power tools to assist in labour jobs, that people could easily harbour a congenital defect (say Aortic Stenosis) well into their 40s. It would only be the relative extreme outliers (like me and you) who needed surgery earlier.

But we make up such a small percentage of the population that I reckon there are are no community wide reasons to chase the removal of that problem from the gene pool (either by breeding, natural selection, or engineering).

Hoping not to be too insensitive here – but conversely, I have five children, two of which demonstrate a very mild presentation of BAV. Their presentation presents no concerns about them living long enough to procreate. They might need a replacement in their 40’s or 50’s the way things look now. These wonderful kids would not be in the gene pool were it not for my first surgery.

That is not insensitive in my view of the world, but thank you for being polite. I am glad that you have wonderful kids who are likely great members of our society. I am sorry that they have the burden of this genetic pre-disposition and wish that their operations are successful and allow them to have long and happy lives.

As it stands now surgery will be their only options, as they have the condition. There may in the future be a possibility to assist them to have children without this gene, and thus not pass that forwards. That may be a choice and a moral dilemma that they have to face.

On the other side of the coin, I would leave you with my own personal dillema. "Would I have been who I am today without having gone through the surgeries, the medical treatments, the sufferings, the heart ache which my genes dictated to me?"

My wife died of a brain tumor which has a strong genetic likelihood within her family. In some cases this gene codes for breast cancer, in others colo-rectal cancer and in her case Glioblastoma multiforme. We were both significant statistical outliers in almost all ways of considering it.

So in the end I feel that the struggle for "a cure" can overlook the persona epiphanies that come only from adversity and challenge. It is some sort of paradox to me that as we strive to make our world more comfortable here in the west that the result is simply greater selfishness and narcissism (Facebook anyone?). It seems to me that we have the opportunity to see things others never can. Which is why I often feel that a "return to normal life" after such a wake-up-call as discovery of BAV and OHS is is such a waste of potential.

Let me recommend you one of my favourite movies: GATTACA. I'm sure you'll find the heart theme, the genetics theme and the strive for living theme captivating.

Its been a pleasure talking with you

:)

Wow.

Technology certainly has contributed to increased lifespans. Many of us with bad valves would have either had them undiscovered, or diagnosed without any possibility of repair, and other things may have killed us before our valves did. This may be especially true considering the weakened states that many of us would have had to contend with - making us much more vulnerable to infection and other causes of death that more healthy people would have survived.

A genetic defect that wouldn't have had a physical manifestation until AFTER we've had kids could be passed on...and on...and on. (It probably has).

These defects, of course, make us all more intelligent, more attractive, and more capable of coping with challenges because we've had to work around some of them.

(One other question -- I heard that, once the heart is cut open, a bit of 'ourselves' also goes away -- that, in addition to the effects of the surgery, there's something that makes Us Us goes away. Does anyone have an opinion on this?)

(One other question -- I heard that, once the heart is cut open, a bit of 'ourselves' also goes away -- that, in addition to the effects of the surgery, there's something that makes Us Us goes away. Does anyone have an opinion on this?)

I personally can see nothing to that, any more than the idea that when you die exacting measurements can show that the body looses some minuscule weight which is the soul leaving.

Definitely cutting the heart bring with it risks of Atrial Fibrillation.

I do however wonder about what you may gain from a transplant. mRNA is potentially transferable to the new owner of the part and mRNA has a role in memory (see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18394467). I wondered about this when I got my transplanted valve and wondered if somehow I gained something from that. Certainly my life changed at that time (well it was my second OHS) and I wondered if the changes were due to my psychological experience or if I inherited something. For a time I wondered about the possibility of finding the donor of that tissue and learning something about them.

But in the 90's such things were nearly impossible. Today no doubt there would be some sort of gathering and celebration over such ...

my current feeling is that the human body is rather like a remote control drone. It is a spectacular design and while itself not intended to last indefinitely provides a mechanism to produce more of them indefinitely. Most living creatures do.

I wonder about the soul (far more than I used to) and wonder about the nature of things which are conceivable but not demonstrable. I wonder if the spirit is not somehow generated as part of the processes which go on in the complex neural system. That cognition forms and develops thought out life is an intriguing idea to me. Our knowledge of the universe is sparse and incomplete, but from what I know it seems likely (by what mechanism I do not know) that our spirit is akin to some sort of highly complex computational process. We (the societal human knowledge we) are uncertain right now if there is a dependency between thought and brain or if there is simply a connection. Just like when a person pilots a remote drone, the drone is not thinking, but is a projection of the thinking happening elsewhere. The physics allows the transfer of that from one place to another.

It seems likely that such process is existing in living things. So perhaps just as when the drone is destroyed the pilot is unharmed, when our bodies stop our spirit continues ... somewhere.

If you've ever played First Person Shooter games you may experience how 'caught up' in the game one becomes. Were there no other distractions to this immersion it can sometimes feel for moments like that is the reality. When playing "massively multi-player" versions of these games we interact with hundreds even thousands (60,000 happens frequenty) of other players the world is quite rich.

Is this the nature of "reality"? A hypercomplex immersive situation? That my simple mind can conceive of it it makes me believe that the notion is at least flawed and probably wrong. For humans simply can't comprehend such things.

I know that explaining such a concept to simple shepherds 2000 years ago would have been impossible without such metaphors.

Anyway I doubt that any part of your "spirit" departs when the heart is cut, that seems to me to be some sort of superstitious concern based on the old idea that the heart was where the person was. We already know that this is false, as there are people who have lived on artifical hearts and have had heart transplants.

without knowledge we tend to rely on what we can understand to grasp the new things which we are confronted with. Today stuff like the fears of the 18th Century seem 'incongruous'

the_cow_pock1.jpg

I wasn't really referring to the 'spirit' or the 'soul' leaving when the heart is cut into. It's kind of a sense that 'something' of 'us' is missing -- motivation? Behavior? Who knows.

Your concern that you may get something from the donor of a heart or valve is interesting - and troubling. If you get a valve from a Pig or Bovine, does that make you part pig? I don't think so.

As far as soul and God is concerned, I've seen enough 'coincidence' in my life to believe that many 'coincidences' really aren't -- for me, they happen too frequently (I hope that saying this doesn't stop them) for me to rely on pure randomness. Although I don't know the master plan - if there is one - I have sometimes taken the 'advice' of 'chance' events in determining which way to go or thing to do - or whether I should continue my current course or start another.

I'm still not convinced about an 'afterlife' - for myself, I think that once I'm done, I'm done. But who knows? I get 'signs' from somewhere. We probably all get 'signs'--it may just be a matter of being sensitive to what is really accidental vs what may be non-random 'coincidence.'

(This sure went quite a distance from 'what happens if you can't get Warfarij)

hI

I wasn't really referring to the 'spirit' or the 'soul' leaving when the heart is cut into. It's kind of a sense that 'something' of 'us' is missing -- motivation? Behavior? Who knows.

Pardon me ... my mistake
Your concern that you may get something from the donor of a heart or valve is interesting - and troubling. If you get a valve from a Pig or Bovine, does that make you part pig? I don't think so.
well the bovine and porcine tissue valves are treated and sterilised and stitch re-enforced. No chance of any infective or compatible materials there. Anyway, our DNA and RNA transcription mechanisms would be specifically forbidden from reading such RNA anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ribosome
Peptide_syn.png

The homograph (alloplasty) have two types. Antibiotic preserved (nothing living remains) and cryo-preserved. This type have to be tissue typed IIRC and a compatible donor must be found.

I had the cryo preserved type.

make of that what you will

I'm still not convinced about an 'afterlife' - for myself, I think that once I'm done, I'm done. But who knows? I get 'signs' from somewhere. We probably all get 'signs'--it may just be a matter of being sensitive to what is really accidental vs what may be non-random 'coincidence.'

exactly ...
http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/i-just-dont-know.html

humans are excellent pattern matching creatures. We seek to find patterns in complexity. Sometimes even where one is really not present.

anyway, there may be no physical connection possible between the two universes.

Right. If there ARE two universes.

There's an interesting article in the May 2013 issue of Discover Magazine. The article is about Epigenetics and Behavioral Epigenetics. In a nutshell, 'methyl groups' can be linked to certain spots on our DNA, and inherited along with DNA. These groups can have impact on mood and other factors that are not purely genetic.

Interesting article. I don't know if this can be downloaded, but it's certainly an interesting article. The title of the article is 'Trait vs Fate'

Right. If there ARE two universes.

infinity is hard to quantify ... but I'm sure there are more than we understand.

There's an interesting article in the May 2013 issue of Discover Magazine. The article is about Epigenetics and Behavioral Epigenetics. In a nutshell, 'methyl groups' can be linked to certain spots on our DNA, and inherited along with DNA. These groups can have impact on mood and other factors that are not purely genetic.

Interesting article. I don't know if this can be downloaded, but it's certainly an interesting article. The title of the article is 'Trait vs Fate'

I'll look it up .. thanks :)

Without having read it I wonder if its basically discussing genotype vs phenotype

I told my doc I was concerned about world events and got a extra years worth of warf and beta blocker, now I rotate thru it, first-in first-to-use. Of course a nuclear EMP will fry my pacemaker and shut me down, but other minor disruptions will be okay. Can't worry too much right?

If you want it, get it. Generic is cheap, get some whether your insurance likes it or not.

If warfarin suddenly became unavailable, do you really think Salmon Oil would be easier to get? Aspirin is pretty ubiquitous.

If you go with Aspirin and Salmon Oil -- or something else that is supposed to provide anticoagulant effects - you'll probably want to have a good, working meter, some spare batteries to power the meter, and a whole lot of strips and lancets. Until you can figure out the effects of the aspirin and salmon oil, you'll probably be testing your INR every few days.

(The idea of stocking an extra year's supply of Warfarin doesn't sound like too bad an idea, in any case.)

I thought I'd expand on this thread rather than just start more (although I sort of did that).

I've been reading about the anticoagulant effects of other natural compounds and thought I'd add some more information here (if only to help the preppers).

Tumeric as well as Tomatoes are emerging as dietary sources of anticoagulants which could assist those of us with Mech valves to last a little longer if we were to loose access to such pharmaceuticals as warfarin.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22531131
[h=3]Abstract[/h] Curcumin, a polyphenol responsible for the yellow color of the curry spice turmeric, possesses antiinflammatory, antiproliferative and antiangiogenic activities. However, anticoagulant activities of curcumin have not been studied. Here, the anticoagulant properties of curcumin and its derivative (bisdemethoxycurcumin, BDMC) were determined by monitoring activated partial thromboplastin time (aPTT), prothrombin time (PT) as well as cell-based thrombin and activated factor X (FXa) generation activities. Data showed that curcumin and BDMC prolonged aPTT and PT significantly and inhibited thrombin and FXa activities. They inhibited the generation of thrombin or FXa. In accordance with these anticoagulant activities, curcumin and BDMC showed anticoagulant effect in vivo. Surprisingly, these anticoagulant effects of curcumin were better than those of BDMC indicating that methoxy group in curcumin positively regulated anticoagulant function of curcumin. Therefore, these results suggest that curcumin and BDMC possess antithrombotic activities and daily consumption of the curry spice turmeric might help maintain anticoagulant status.

and http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21311321
[h=1]Antiplatelet, anticoagulant, and fibrinolytic activity in vitro of extracts from selected fruits and vegetables.[/h] [h=3]Abstract[/h] A diet rich in fruits and vegetables is known to decrease the risk of cardiovascular disease. However, the information regarding the antithrombotic activity (antiplatelet, anticoagulant, and fibrinolytic) of fruits and vegetables is scarce. The aim of this study was to assess the antithrombotic activity of extracts from fruits and vegetables widely consumed in central Chile. The study included samples of 19 fruits and 26 vegetables, representative of the local diet. The extracts prepared from each sample included an aqueous (juice or pressed solubles) and/or methanol-soluble fraction. The extracts were evaluated for antiplatelet, anticoagulant, and fibrinolytic activity in vitro at a final concentration of 1 mg/ml. The antiplatelet activity was assessed by platelet aggregation inhibition; anticoagulant activity was measured by the prothrombin time (PT), diluted prothrombin time (dPT), activated partial thromboplastin time (APTT), kaolin clotting time (KCT), and thrombin time. The fibrinolytic effect was determined with the euglobin clot lysis time and fibrin plate methods. Extracts of green beans and tomatoes inhibited platelet aggregation induced by ADP and arachidonic acid, in a concentration-dependent manner. The methanolic extracts of grapes prolonged the PT and dPT. Finally, extracts of raspberry prolonged the APTT and also presented fibrinolytic activity. In conclusion, from a screening that included a variety of fruits and vegetables, we found antiplatelet activity in green beans and tomatoes, anticoagulant activities in grapes and raspberries, whereas fibrinolytic activity was observed only in raspberries. Further investigations are necessary to advance in knowledge of the active compounds of these fruits and vegetables and their mechanisms of action.

The fear of inaccessibility of Warfarin was a major worry for me, but then I thought of Synthroid, insulin, blood pressure, and all other medications people can't live without! I don't worry about such issues as long as there is no need to worry about it now!

Thanks Eva,
I guess that anyone that takes critical medications for their health should be aware of how they may substitute or compensate for these in the event of a critical event that would prevent them from obtaining their medications for a period of time.

I am only on some BP meds and Warfarin, I can get by without my BP medications, as they are precautionary, not required, and are only taken because of my dissection to keep my BP low. But, Warfarin is needed, due to my mechanical heart valve, and A-fib episodes.
My prescriptions are filled automatically by a mail in order program. They sometimes get ahead of themselves, and ship me more frequently than necessary. So, I am building up a 6 month supply of Warfarin to have for emergency situations.

I guess you could also ask your doctors to provide you with a new prescription that is for double the dose. You could take the pills and immediately, split them in half, storing 1/2 of them away for emergency use. Just a thought.

Wishing you good health,
Rob

Latest posts

Back