You're on Warfarin, a disaster hits, You can no longer obtain it, What can you do?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's wise to be at least a month ahead on your meds. Especially if you live in an earthquake or hurricane zone. It helps when prescriptions need renewall as well, if you have to wait a week...no sweat.

This clinic that I go to so that I can get monthly blood draws (to compare to my meters) doesn't prescribe more than 30 days at a time. This clinic is at a hospital that was destroyed by an earthquake in 1971. They don't trust their patients, for some strange reason, with more than 30 days worth of warfarin. (I have a supply that I got months ago, and it should help carry me through if I ever have an emergency and am unable to get warfarin).
I often wonder about the logic, or sense, of this anticoagulation clinic. (They refer to me as 'Mr. Consistent.' Could it be related to the fact that I do my own monitoring and management and usually check my INR before a blood draw or a visit to the clinic?).

Well, in case of disaster and not having your meds -- since I have my native valve still, FYI I'm on 325 mg aspirin for anticoagulation which seems to be a pretty standard dose per the internet for a valve patient in my situation. Hopefully simple to hit up your corner store and get a big bottle of those for a few bucks. Though I agree if it were me I'd stock up for a month on my scrips if they'd let me. It's not like warfarin is a controlled substance is it? That is just weird Protimenow.

You can refill prescriptions at least 7 days early, thus in about 5 months, you can be a month's supply ahead of the game. Warfarin is real cheap as well.

Latest posts

Back