Your post-surgery Afib--worse when you recline?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivetopless

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Of those of you who experienced afib post surgery, did you feel it more when you layed down or reclined?

I've been dealing with it on various medications for the last 3weeks. So I've probably become hyper-aware of it.

BUT, it seems like my heart rhythm is usually better in the morning after sleeping and when I'm sitting/standing upright throughout the day. I seem to feel it as more irregular/fast/pounding when I lay down or slightly recline. Or it could be because I recline more at night and could be because of fatigue later in the day.

What was your experience?

I only spent one night in post surgery a-fib, but found that I felt better sitting up. I put a pillow in my lap and laid my head on it for the night, I wouldn't recommend anyone trying to sleep like that, but it worked for me for the few hours before I went to get cardio converted. I also stayed in for about two weeks before surgery because I was in denial and didn't want to go to my doctor even though I knew something was very wrong. During that time, my heart would do much better once I relaxed at night and was almost normal when I woke in the morning, however just putting my feet on the floor caused it to start jumping and acting goofy. I hope you get some relief from your a-fib very soon. I know that was one of the worst things about the surgery for me.

Mileena

drivetopless,

I didn't have enough experience to notice a pattern, but I went into afib twice in the 3rd week of recovery. The first time I was home sitting and went to the hospital right away to be cardioverted. That helped for a few days before it came back while I was taking a walk around the block. That time I spent the night in the hospital while they put me on Multaq. I haven't had another problem with it and 2 weeks ago I went off the Multaq too.

Afib was very uncomfortable for me. It left me breathless and weak and unable to think clearly. I hope you can get it under control. In my case my recovery really took off for the good when I got my rhythm problems taken care of.

Doug

Of those of you who experienced afib post surgery, did you feel it more when you layed down or reclined?

I've been dealing with it on various medications for the last 3weeks. So I've probably become hyper-aware of it.

BUT, it seems like my heart rhythm is usually better in the morning after sleeping and when I'm sitting/standing upright throughout the day. I seem to feel it as more irregular/fast/pounding when I lay down or slightly recline. Or it could be because I recline more at night and could be because of fatigue later in the day.

What was your experience?

I hate to say it but....YES, to all of the above and I've had it for the past 5 years.
My med is Metoprolol 3 times per day which keeps my HR down but doesn't totally eliminate the arrhythmia.
I'd be very interested to know what your docs have to say about this issue.

I hate to say it but....YES, to all of the above and I've had it for the past 5 years.
My med is Metoprolol 3 times per day which keeps my HR down but doesn't totally eliminate the arrhythmia.
I'd be very interested to know what your docs have to say about this issue.

Bina -

Have you ever asked your Cardio about trying SOTALOL which prevents A-Fib for several of our members?

I had a-fib 1 week after surgery.It came at night and woke me up. i had it 2 nights. 1st night it went away. 2nd night it didnt stop and i went to the er and was admitted for several days.
i know others here have it somewhat regular and still function.when i had it i couldnt stand up.i would get up and went right to my knees from feeling lightheaded.i guess my body cant handle it at all.thank God they got it stopped.

I don't have A-Fib I have somewhat frequent short runs of VT. I definately think mine is worse later in the day. I usually feel pretty good in the morning, then I feel it more in the afternoon and evening into the night. I am on sotalol but even after 2 months I am not tolerating it well so my EP is going to try to ablate it in a few weeks. The sotalol makes it better and does keep my HR alot lower than it is without it. I think it would work if I could tolerate a large enough dose but since I can't it just sort of helps contain it rather than controlling it???

Bina -

Have you ever asked your Cardio about trying SOTALOL which prevents A-Fib for several of our members?

I should have specified that my first week post op (while still in hospital) I had a middle of the night episode where my
HR was clocked at 170 bpm...this was determined to be SVT and was immediately treated with Sotalol.
The SVT didn't return the next week but I was unhappy with my fast HR so Metoprolol was prescribed.

During recovery at home whenever I tried to increase my activity the palpitations would return and my GP
was reluctant to prescribe Sotalol because my cardio had already nixed it during my postop checkup.
My cardio totally blocks me out whenever I mention PVC/PAC or SVT and then he refers me back to my GP.
I'm stuck in a loop I guess. Too much Meto dumps my HR and not enough Meto risks SVT. Grrrrr

Mine was rough, really knocked the wind out of me :eek2:
They tried Digoxin first and it didn't help but Sotalol knocked it right down and out.
I hope you get some good relief from it soon. Take care :)

I don't have A-Fib I have somewhat frequent short runs of VT. I definately think mine is worse later in the day. I usually feel pretty good in the morning, then I feel it more in the afternoon and evening into the night. I am on sotalol but even after 2 months I am not tolerating it well so my EP is going to try to ablate it in a few weeks. The sotalol makes it better and does keep my HR alot lower than it is without it. I think it would work if I could tolerate a large enough dose but since I can't it just sort of helps contain it rather than controlling it???
I hope you get some relief from this soon too. My dad had some serious struggles with V-tach. I'm no expert but I thought V-tach could be much more serious that A-fib. I've occasionally been "clocked" with a few very short runs of it but so far it hasn't concerned my cardio. BTW, for my post-op A-fib/A-flutter, I was also given magnesium IVs in the hospital. And since my valve replacement, when I have runs of troublesome arrhythmias, my minerals have been out of balance. Have your minerals been checked? That may have been some of my father's issue too: his other heart medications caused his minerals to be out of balance. Anyway, I hope your ablation goes well. Keep us posted? Maybe in a new thread?

Thank you for the suggestion but yes, my new EP has been VERY vigilant at checking both my potassium and magnesium. In fact they check them weekly and keep them on the high side of normal because of the sotalol. I had some tachycardia problems for a few years prior to my surgery but it has gotten a lot worse since surgery. I will also start a new thread and quit hijacking this one!

I'm on Solatol, Metroprolol, and Cartia XT for the issues now. Still not perfect, but I have had least 1 "good" day/week now where I'm not feeling the butterflies in the throat.

They haven't checked my minerals lately, so I will ask about that.

Are their alot of members who get palpitations.Am 9 nine mths post op and get them every day for a few seconds.it really gets me down doc says stop worrying.Sometimes seems worse when I eat.The drugs I am on are concor 2.5mg and ecotrin.

Are their alot of members who get palpitations.Am 9 nine mths post op and get them every day for a few seconds.it really gets me down doc says stop worrying.Sometimes seems worse when I eat.The drugs I am on are concor 2.5mg and ecotrin.

It's anecdotal, but it seems to be pretty common for valve replacement patients. I've heard AT LEAST 30% get it post surgery.

Embedded in this recent article is a good summary of the two main causes of afib. How my doctors explained it to me was that even if you haven't had afib before surgery, the trauma of the surgery can set up an inflammation in the atrial area during recovery and can trigger afib issues (often temporary with proper treatment).

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/news/hot/caffeine-in-afib.aspx

"There is no one ‘cause’ of Afib. Rather, Dr. Baranowski explains the condition generally develops in one of two basic scenarios.

The first is in the presence of significant heart disease, typically leading to an enlargement of the left atrium, which is the chamber from which atrial fibrillation originates and is maintained.

“An overly simplistic explanation is that this enlargement or stretching of the chamber pulls apart some of the heart’s own ‘natural electrical wiring,’ leading to a short-circuit and rapid disorganized electrical firing within the atrial chamber – or atrial fibrillation,” Dr. Baranowski says.

There are many conditions associated with the development of left atrial fibrillation, he says. These include long-standing, poorly controlled high blood pressure, coronary artery disease and previous heart attacks, valvular heart disease, previous open heart surgery, nonischemic dilated cardiomyopathies, diastolic dysfunction, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and congenital heart disease.

The second way Afib develops is in patients who have no evidence of structural heart disease, which is also referred to as “lone atrial fibrillation,” Dr. Baranowski explains. “We tend to assume that these patients have a genetic predisposition to developing this arrhythmia, as the conduction properties and manner in which the electrical impulses are handles within their hearts is abnormal and prone to short circuiting.”

Typically, when patients are first diagnosed with Afib, the episodes start and stop on their own – called paroxysmal Afib. But as the disease progresses, Dr. Baranowski says, the abnormal rhythm tends to become more persistent or permanent – patients tend to remain stuck in atrial fibrillation.

In patients with paroxysmal Afib, there may be associated triggers that kick the patients into the abnormal rhythm. These triggers may include stress, fatigue, infection, surgery, exercise, obstructive sleep apnea and possibly stimulants, such as pseudoephedrine, cocaine and caffeine. "

Last edited:
I thought it was more like 50% of VR patients who get SOME A-Fib post-op. I saw one study that suggested that Magnesium supplements (without even monitoring first) cut the rate down significantly, like maybe in half.

I'm told I had a brief episode in the first couple of days post-op, then I got walloped 3 weeks post-op. HR at 150 for a few hours, until I got a shot of a calcium channel blocker in the ER, followed by a prescription for metoprolol, which I've been on for over 2 months now. I don't think I noticed any specific symptoms of the A-Fib/A-Flutter (much less what made them better), though I sure felt rotten at the time (weak, faint, nauseous), and I eventually crumpled to the floor at its worst. I haven't noticed much cardio weirdness since then, either. My resting HR is still much higher than pre-op, though it's gradually creeping down, presumably with the help of the metoprolol.

I'm seeing my Cardio tomorrow to discuss my 48-hour Holter monitoring from the weekend before last. With luck, I've been free of A-fib and flutter, and can come off the Warfarin and drop (or gradually phase out) the Metoprolol, too. I'm on tenterhooks waiting for the word!! I'm also finally starting a cardio rehab program on Monday, with or without my two drugs, we'll see.

I just remembered something. The night that I got the SVT with a HR of 170 was after the doc had given me a
diuretic that day to lose some fluid in my legs.
The diuretic crashed my potassium level which in turn p-ssed off my struggling heart,
resulting in the SVT episode. The next day I got potassium supplements.

Hi guys thanks for the replies.I get these odd missed beats or palps but they are a couple of seconds haven't had the racing heart rate I here talked about so I suppose I should be grateful still gets one down.Drivetopless thanks for your in-depth feedback I really appreciate it our doctors in south Africa tend to be a bit vague.

Latest posts

Back