Would you go through colonoscopy unsedated?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years ago our pcp did them in his office without anything and it hurt like crazy when he went up around the corner. When my husband was scheduled for one I warned him that it would hurt but if I could get through it so could he (actually I was kidding 'cause I was much more pain oriented than he). After having his done he bragged that it was nothing at all. I confronted the doc at my next visit, how was it possible. He laughed (wasn't really funny in my book) and said, "oh, I used my old rigid instrument on you but when your husband came I had purchased a new FLEXIBLE one.

Then we progressed to having them done in the gastro's office and I had both the colonoscopy and upper endoscopy done at the same time but I remember the medicine wore off toward the end and I gagged and gagged!! That was very rough!!

Now he only does them as outpatient in the hospital with demoral and WONDERFUL VERSED!! I have an appt. with him Aug 31st and I know he and I are going to go round and round about getting off the warfarin, til I wear him down to a couple of days off instead of the usual 5. I've gone to this gastro for many years and like him and know him so I hate to try finding one who would do it anticoagulated if there even is one in town.

They don't turn my pacer off but they are very careful with the instruments they use in the room while I am there.

I wish you well, Ross. I think the waiting time with all the fear that you have built up will be worse than the actual experience. You've been through so much, you'll get through this also!!

Your bad experience was at Aultman Hospital; why did you not go back to CCF for your second surgery, if you don't mind me asking??

Ross said:
Buttman is oriental and next to the Cardologists, he too thinks he is a God. Dr. Yung! All I can say is he had better treat mine as if it were his own or his will be next and unsedated at that!

Hey Ross -

You know the standard advice to members who aren't happy with their (fill in the blank) Doctors.

WELL, maybe it's time for YOU to go GI Doc shopping.

Surely there is someone out there who will do it 'your way'.

'AL Capshaw'

BTW, for my colonoscopy and upper (esophageal) endoscopy, I used Lovenox Bridging Therapy as scheduled by the CRNP at my Coumadin Clinic. I was also administered two IV antibiotics (gentimycin sp? and something else)

I told the GI Doc I didn't want to know or remember ANYTHING so he used Demerol, Versed, and Valium. I'd be tempted to skip the Valium next time. It keeps you groggy for a couple of days. 5 (mg or cc?) of Versed pretty much assures that a 200 lb person won't remember a thing.

'AL Capshaw'

barbwil said:
Your bad experience was at Aultman Hospital; why did you not go back to CCF for your second surgery, if you don't mind me asking??
Simply for my wifes convenience. It'a 65 minute drivie up and 65 back to CCF. When I had my first OHS, she was forced to find someone to watch the boys and move up there temporarily. Driving everyday was not an option. Plus, even though CCF is great, my experience was a nightmare there also. I simply do not get along with surgeries no matter what they are.

Ross has anyone mentioned the swallowing of the camera to do a non invasive look? After doing the colonoscopy of course they could not get to the area they needed to see and the next day I did the camera. No larger than a potassium supplement and the photos and diagnosis would not be second guessed. No worry about coumadin or entering the hospital. They do it as an out patient and put a battery pack and you go back later in the day and drop off the battery pack. If you have thin skin and are small of stature you can see the light through the skin. Just a thought to make things alot easier for you in all areas---no pun intended. I do wonder about the stress of the prep since it depletes all you have in your system and right now you don't need to do that you need more meat.
Kathleen

Kathleen said:
Ross has anyone mentioned the swallowing of the camera to do a non invasive look? After doing the colonoscopy of course they could not get to the area they needed to see and the next day I did the camera. No larger than a potassium supplement and the photos and diagnosis would not be second guessed. No worry about coumadin or entering the hospital. They do it as an out patient and put a battery pack and you go back later in the day and drop off the battery pack. If you have thin skin and are small of stature you can see the light through the skin. Just a thought to make things alot easier for you in all areas---no pun intended. I do wonder about the stress of the prep since it depletes all you have in your system and right now you don't need to do that you need more meat.
Kathleen

If that camera is only that big why was my throat sore for 2 days?I half way remember it going down and it was definately a big gulp. I did not see it though so I don't know how big it was for sure.

Kathleen said:
Kathleen
This is what I'm trying for now. I don't know if they even do them at my hospital or not.

RandyL said:
If that camera is only that big why was my throat sore for 2 days?I half way remember it going down and it was definately a big gulp. I did not see it though so I don't know how big it was for sure.
Randy you might be thinking of the camera for the TEE. This is a different procedure.
Ross I hope you can find a doctor in your area with this technology. Perhpaps they can even bring one from a bit further away. Can't hurt to ask.
Kathleen

I've had a couple...Sedated both times but like Carolyn said, I started coming to before they were finished...very uncomfortable! ....The prep tho is still the worst in my opion.....

Colonoscopy -

Colonoscopy -

I had my first C'scopy about 6 mos. ago. I was pleasantly sedated & didn't stop my coumadin, no problem. Unfortunately, the dr. said that I'm going to have to return in the next 1 - 2 yrs. because he found a polyp, which he couldn't remove because of the Coumadin.

Colonoscopy w/ sedation - Simple & painless.
Colonoscopy w/ sedation, on Coumadin, Dr. discovers polyps - A P.I.T.A.

INRtest said:
I had my first C'scopy about 6 mos. ago. I was pleasantly sedated & didn't stop my coumadin, no problem. Unfortunately, the dr. said that I'm going to have to return in the next 1 - 2 yrs. because he found a polyp, which he couldn't remove because of the Coumadin.

Colonoscopy w/ sedation - Simple & painless.
Colonoscopy w/ sedation, on Coumadin, Dr. discovers polyps - A P.I.T.A.

I haven't had a chance to do a search, but if I remember correctly, the protocol says that 1 or 2 polyps could be removed while anticoagulated. But then I would guess that would have to do with the size of the polyp. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe I'm just recalling a discussion with a hypothesis and not protocol being quoted.

If you really want to be out of it, don't trust Versed. 5 ccs of the stuff didn't knock me out, so I'd go for Diprivan if you really want to be in la-la land.

Well I am going to be sedated and I am going to have to have it done. Now they are fighting over whether or not to do it while I'm on Coumadin. I presented the guidelines from the ASGE and I might just as well have thrown them in the waste can. :mad:

3. Elective endoscopic procedure in the patient
taking warfarin who may need bridge therapy.
LMWH may be useful in extending the period of
systemic anticoagulation while the effects of long-acting
warfarin are allowed to dissipate. LMWH may replace the
previous standard of a ‘‘heparin window’’ in high-risk
patients. Considerations in favor of LMWH would be the
enhanced quality of life for the patient (i.e., no therapeutic
monitoring, avoidance of hospitalization, no need for
intravenous access) and the possible economic savings of
outpatient LMWHcompared with a hospital-based ‘‘heparin
window.’’31 LMWH should not be used in pregnant women
with mechanical prosthetic heart valves. In non-pregnant
patients with mechanical valves, short-term use appears to
be safe but prospective controlled data are lacking.

Low-risk procedure. No adjustments in anticoagulation
need be made, irrespective of the underlying
condition.

High-risk procedure. Discontinue warfarin 3 to 5
days before the procedure and concomitantly begin
administering LMWH. Consider using dose ranges as for
the treatment of patients with acute DVT (e.g., enoxaparin
1 mg/kg subcutaneously every 12 hours). Discontinue
LMWH for at least 8 hours before the therapeutic
endoscopy. The decision as to when to restart therapy
should be individualized.

ASGE guideline: the management of low-molecular-weight heparin and nonaspirin antiplatelet agents for endoscopic procedures
190 GASTROINTESTINAL ENDOSCOPY Volume 61, No. 2 : 2005 www.mosby.com/gie

I'm glad you are going to be sedated. I was thinking about whether your doctor would have gone through a colonoscopy without sedation. I think they all should have that experience. :p

Nancy said:
I'm glad you are going to be sedated. I was thinking about whether your doctor would have gone through a colonoscopy without sedation. I think they all should have that experience. :p
Oh I'd like for them to experience everything that I have so that they can feel just as terrified of hospitals as I am.

Latest posts

Back