Would Anyone Here Wait?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an aneurysm. I don't want to wait to get it repaired. Hell no.

What she said. : )

As I've mentioned before, my aneurysm is only 4.5 cm and stable but if it were my call I'd be having it repaired tomorrow. I'm absolutely terrified of a third OHS (especially since it would be risky thanks to scar tissue) but I'm even more frightened of dissection.

Get it done!

Best of luck

Cheers,
Michelle

Yes John Ritter and country singer Conway Twitty both died of a ruptured aortic aneurysm.

The problem is the first symptoms might be the crushing pain of dissection!
Aortic dissection occurs in approximately 2 out of every 10,000 people. It can affect anyone, but is most often seen in men aged 40 to 70.
Thats from medline's website. It is easy for people to say go for it, or get it done for peace of mind...but thoracic surgery is no cake walk and it makes you a heart patient for LIFE. To answer your other question, No I wouldnt be comfortable getting it checked every 6 mos., more like every 3.
The pain of dissection is the WORST PAIN OF YOUR LIFE. You said you are asymtomatic, meaning no pain, no shortness of breath, etc?
Also, dissections can occur WITHOUT an aneurysm being present. That is what happened to Ritter. He had a full body scan not long before his dissection, and the body scan showed NO ANEURYSM...it did show a congenital defect in his heart, previously undiagnosed. (most likely BVD but who knows for sure?) Anyway, comparing one person's heart against another is never a great idea, only comparing oneself to that of a normal heart.

my next question would be...have you had time to have tests on your aneurysm done months apart...some aneurysms are slow growing others fast...slow growing are what people mean when they say "stable".

As I have said in earlier posts, I did wait at 5,3 cm and even stupidly convinced the doctors with old MRI comparisons I did on my Mac to show that I was stable. And I was not.

I was completely asymptomatic. Run half marathons a couple of weeks before etc.

The dissection was originally not so easy to detect. It came slowly first with mild fever for a few days, which could have been just about anything. Then I had mild angina one morning and felt "odd", so I went to the ER. But I was as well thinking about taking a boat into the archipelago to check on my cottage there, and I would never have written this.

I think the math is easy. With your age and condition, the surgery risk is definitely not more than a percent or so. You are probably over that in yearly risk for a blow-out already. An OHS is not easy. But after the surgery you will be able to live the life more in full, not being afraid of exercise, sex or being red-faced in the court room (if you are practicing there (not sex, law))...

I learnt the hard way that it is not worth to wait. Emergency surgery is not nice, and even if you survive a dissection, there are always much higher risks for complete or partial failures. And it is a beastly terror on family and friends.

::g

As I have said in earlier posts, I did wait at 5,3 cm and even stupidly convinced the doctors with old MRI comparisons I did on my Mac to show that I was stable. And I was not.

I was completely asymptomatic. Run half marathons a couple of weeks before etc.

The dissection was originally not so easy to detect. It came slowly first with mild fever for a few days, which could have been just about anything. Then I had mild angina one morning and felt "odd", so I went to the ER. But I was as well thinking about taking a boat into the archipelago to check on my cottage there, and I would never have written this.

I think the math is easy. With your age and condition, the surgery risk is definitely not more than a percent or so. You are probably over that in yearly risk for a blow-out already. An OHS is not easy. But after the surgery you will be able to live the life more in full, not being afraid of exercise, sex or being red-faced in the court room (if you are practicing there (not sex, law))...

I learnt the hard way that it is not worth to wait. Emergency surgery is not nice, and even if you survive a dissection, there are always much higher risks for complete or partial failures. And it is a beastly terror on family and friends.

Gustaf, I thought the surgical cut-off was lower in Europe as well? Isn't that true?

Gustaf, I thought the surgical cut-off was lower in Europe as well? Isn't that true?

I have heard of 4,5 cm in some countries, but most hospitals in Sweden seem to go for 5. There is however a discussion ongoing where they see extended CTD (BAV+aneuyrism + something more, like a coarctatio) as higher risk (like Marfans) abd then, I believe, with 4,5 cm as the threshold.

(I had BAV+aneuyrism+coarctatio)

I have heard of 4,5 cm in some countries, but most hospitals in Sweden seem to go for 5. There is however a discussion ongoing where they see extended CTD (BAV+aneuyrism + something more, like a coarctatio) as higher risk (like Marfans) abd then, I believe, with 4,5 cm as the threshold.

(I had BAV+aneuyrism+coarctatio)

So basically if I am high 4s I am there. One scan is coming in around 4.9/5.0, though I only have BAV + aneurysm, not the something more.

Back